Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Class » My Idea

Author Topic: My Idea
BrandonM
Member # 9064

- posted      Profile for BrandonM   Email BrandonM         Edit/Delete Post 
A character named Thorn cannot remember his past and he makes a deal with someone to get them back, if he does his end of the bargain, which is to kill the most important man in the world: God.
How is that?

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you've got a goal for your character and a reason for that goal.

Now you need to work out why anyone (the person with whom he made the bargain) thinks Thorn can accomplish the goal and you also need to work out how Thorn intends to accomplish it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
If Thorn is an immortal, then we have another part of the story. The person wants to get rid of Thorn, and what would be more easy than get god to destroy Thorn in self defense?
The same would be if Thorn was blessed, or some other way protected from harm by the person he made the deal with.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
This so-called 'deal maker' is the reason why Thorn can't remember his past. He did something to him to put him in that situation. (Possibly to force him into this compromise of killing to get them back.) That's how he can say he can return those memories to Thorn. Yes? No?
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Now what if Thorm is god? that would end up being suicide as part of his bargain.

another is if the deal maker was god, and the only way god can destroy Thorm is if Thorm attacks him?

Of course, if it is Greek gods or other like beings, they can be killed. That right there changes the nature of the story too.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobbyshane
Member # 9394

- posted      Profile for bobbyshane   Email bobbyshane         Edit/Delete Post 
What if they're just using Thorn to kill God and he finds out God was the only one who could have helped him find out about his past?
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Actually, that sounds like a set up three different writers would use. Mark L. Van Name is one, sort of in his case. But it really sounds like something Timothy Zahn would do. The third writer I can't recall.

Your MC would have to be someone with intelligence, knowledge, experience with doing out of the ordinary things(kinda like James Bond), resources, not necessarily God-like or super human powers, but stubborn, patient, and able to think out of the box.

That third writer might be Simon Green but I don't think so, even though he could do it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
It would seem Thorn would also have to be insane. I mean what kind of bargain is that: a deal maker who Thorn can't remember approaches him in the context of a history he cannot remember, with a bargain to have him kill a God whom he doesn't remember?

So it would seem if Thorn is intelligent enough to know what he's up against, then he must also question the morality (and all morality for that matter) of his actions. "I don't remember who I am, maybe I deserve to be without memory...or dead...I don't remember who God is, is God the good guy or the bad guy? Does it matter?"

It could almost be like he's rediscovering the entire concept of right and wrong and meaning, I mean what meaning does anything have if you can't remember the context into which the meaning exists? If you can't remember who God is, is killing him different than killing an ant? Assuming it could be done of course.

So it seems Thorn should feel almost constantly confused, and aware of it.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
Thorn could very well be deceived by the "deal maker" into believing God is really a demon that took his memories. Without knowledge of the past you have experienced, deception would be easy.

Of course the things Thorn might discover on the way could lead to confusion and misguidance to either further or hinder the "deal maker's" goal.

The next question to ask is what is the "deal maker's" goal? Does he want Thorn dead, God dead, or would either one do for him?

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.