Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » TRIGGER for flash fiction contest.

Author Topic: TRIGGER for flash fiction contest.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The triggers are:Firm Contract—Sinking Deeper--Ancient Sunrise

I chose three different triggers to give a variety of stories--it's meant to be fun after all.

You may use any (or all if you are very skilled) of these as triggers for your story. I said it would be easy! The phrases themselves don't have to appear in your story.

Please email your stories to me preferably before Sunday 16th December 12.00 GMT (I am posting this at 11am GMT so check the posting time for US ET time). Email your story, preferably as an attached word document, or in the body of the email. The sooner I get them the quicker I can post the first 13. Once emailed to me, that’s it—no revisions.

At the top of the story please put the story title, your Hatrack name, and the number of words.

Skadder
The End of The World
958 words

Good luck!

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Tell us how you are doing -- but don't give away your story.

Inspired or blocked? Done a draft yet or still playing with an idea? Having trouble staying sub 1000?

P.S. If everyone finishes early we can start reading and voting quicker.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Done. 993 words.

[This message has been edited by supraturtle (edited December 02, 2007).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Wow, that's fast--well done! When you have completely finished it make sure you send it to me.

Although your aren't meant to say what the title is--don't worry though.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 02, 2007).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm done. I've sent it off.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited December 02, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Done, emailed
Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Also, can I please reiterate how to send your completed story to me. I have a fair bit to do and if everyone does this it will save me a lot of time and confusion.

Please use the title of your story as the file name.

I would prefer an MS Word file(.doc). If you don't have MS Word please tell me and I will send to you in a different format.

In the email subject line put: Hatrack name: Story Title

At the top of your story please put:

Your Hatrack Name. (your email name means nothing!)
Story Title.
Words.

All of this is just to help keep track of everything. It is quite complicated!

skadder
Member # 6757

IB, if you have sent it, I don't have it. Could you re-send it?

Adam

gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
Basically finished, I just have to cut it down a bit and revise it. I was even able to add all three triggers.

[This message has been edited by gobi13x (edited December 03, 2007).]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
I will obviously be the slow one in the group. Came up with my idea (using all 3 triggers) yesterday while driving my family around. I am just now sitting down to write.

I should not have checked the thread. THREE done already? I have never participated in a Flash Fiction contest, so just to make sure I have it right:

skadder - Are we trying to create a finished work, or just slap an idea together?

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
erm.... we have two weeks to write, right? Am I wrong on the deadline? I haven't even started yet... I guess I'm a muller!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a race. Something so short can be more difficult than writing 6000 words. Keep with it--I almost didn't post ready right away because I didn't want to make it seem to be a rush.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

You have two weeks to produce (but please complete it before then or I will be inundated with stuff to do at the last moment!) the best piece of flash fiction based around the triggers that you can.

Some people are quick writers. Perhaps they have adapted a story they already had rattling about in their craniums, either way don't worry. Take whatever (but in the less-than-two-weeks category) time you need.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 03, 2007).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Members of Liberty Hall (as are KayTi and I) are accustomed to writing a first-draft flash in 90 minutes. It's a little hair-raising the first time or two, but then you get used to it. Point is: if you can write the idea down in an hour/hour and a half, you'll have a surfeit of time to polish it.

I wrote it. Watched the Colts/Jaguars, Giants/Bears-Bengals/Steelers games. Read it again for spelling errors, trimmed and buffed some--played with my 4-year-old--gave it another read, and called it done. Whether the plot/story sucks or not isn't going to change, just the words I use to tell it.

I think that you can easily overwork a flash piece. Granted, you can take a year to make each word choice (1000) be perfect, but for what you can do pre-critique, it's limited.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited December 03, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yeah, I could write it in 90 mins, but I doubt I could come up with the idea and write it 90 mins. That would be a major struggle.

*doffs hat*

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

First drafts aren't perfect. I'm sure, if you put yourself in the situation to have something with a beginning, conflict, and end in 9o minutes you could. Yeah, there are spelling mistakes, and continuity slips (as well as the usual PoV slips and /or tense slippages), but that is not so much of what is judged at Liberty Hall--but, it is pointed out when a critiquer discovers it. Most critiques for that weekly contest are pointing out what threw somebody, what hooked somebody, and/or whether the ending made sense, was likeable/dislikeable, or if it was non sequitur/deus ex machina.

There are 7 categories voted on (The major components of a story):

Hook (Everyone at Hatrack kows what this is )
Narrative Voice
Dialogue
Characterization
Story Arc (Plot)
Setting/World Developement
Best Flash (This is the best of the critiquing group. Usually, there are two or three groups.)

The next day is for Best of the Best, which is the best of the competing critiquing groups.

There is a separate Polish challenge for when the critiques are put into effect.

skadder
Member # 6757

Everyone busy writing?
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a concept I like and a first draft that sucks.

Usually, it's the other way around: I suck the draughts.

Working ...

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Well I have drafty socks.

Keep at it!

Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been off in la-la land, I guess. I'm in, I'm working on it (about 515 words now), and I'm looking forward to it.

Wow, IB: 90 minutes for a first draft. That's pretty impressive.

Anyway. I plan to have it in before the deadline...

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Eep! Still working out concepts! I have a hard enough time with short stories, but it's tricky figuring out if you've got an idea you really can tell in less than 1,000 words.

Anyway, I've tossed out the first thirty ideas or so... still thinking... (I told you I'm a muller!)

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Try mixing some of those 30 ideas together... anyway it's only been 4 days--10 to go!
Igwiz
Member # 6867

Finished. Letting it age for a couple of days before I send it in...

I'm looking forward to this. Both the reviews and the reviewing.

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Feeling confident, eh?
Igwiz
Member # 6867

More like trepidacious. But yeah, I'm also feeling hopeful...
skadder
Member # 6757

Excellent. I look forward to reading it. It's cool being the ref...

NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrote my rough draft on the 4th (90 mins, 540 words). My next pocket of available time will be tomorrow morning - I hope to make my 2nd pass then. It should only take one more pass after that (probably all I have time for, anyway....)
Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

Wrote my rough draft on the 4th (90 mins, 540 words).

See? It can ber done. I'm not the only one.

(Just kidding, every member of Liberty Hall who has flashed has done it too. At least, I think they have. There may be a few that DQ all the time from the time limit, but most that I've seen finish.)

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited December 07, 2007).]

skadder
Member # 6757

Send them to me...
jaycloomis
Member # 7193

- posted      Profile for jaycloomis   Email jaycloomis         Edit/Delete Post 
The public demands more first thirteens for the challenge!
-Jay

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

That's one week gone. Tick-tock, tick-tock.

Exactly one week to go.

Anything not received by me at 12.00 GMT on Sunday December 16th will not be posted and will be considered NOT ENTERED.

I would prefer them sooner rather than later, BTW.

Adam

NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

ok skadder - I'm done - took another 2 hours for a second pass. I've sent it to you.
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent it to you. I was going to send it before the weekend, but I did not have access to it.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.