Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » 2x2 flash challenge

Author Topic: 2x2 flash challenge
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
You must choose 2 or more triggers, then using the same triggers you chose, you must write 2 different flashes.

Triggers:
Lost in the unknown
Tomorrow is to far away
Coming home
An extremely complicated apparatus
The last one
Opened for the first time
Returned just in time
Fight, where all parties are wrong
Open case
Falling behind
Archaic Language
Coiled up
Fire in confined place
Unexpected shock

Starts jan 20th and you can submit your entry (to my email) anytime between jan 20th and feb 20th (1 month) or the first 10 people to enter (I will send you a conformation that I received them, so if I don’t with in a day or 2 send it again). Please place in the subject line your Hatrack name-Title1-Title2-Triggers Used. You can attach them as a doc but please no word 2007 I cannot open those or you can just paste them in email.

Story length must between 700--1000 words. You can be approximate just keep it as close as you can.

After all submissions have been sent in I will send you all 20 stories with the names removed. You must crit at least 1 story but you can crit as many as you want. You will have to Feb 4th to read and crit as you like. (you don’t have to crit one you vote for either)

Vote for the 5 stories you like best. Please don’t vote for yourself. I will tally up the votes give me a week. If you fail to vote by March 5th you will be removed from the competition and disqualified. If need be we will have a revote leaving out the NoShows.

Do I have any takers?

P.S. We can adjust the deadlines if we want, I will not be competing. Keep in mind that you will be reading 18 stories writing 2 and critting 1.

EDIT: dates update

[This message has been edited by Alye (edited December 20, 2007).]

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested, but I won't commit right now. The other flash challenge was like pulling teeth!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I'll be able to commit to anything for awhile. What with Holidays and all that. I might free up some time in Jan, but I dunno.
Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

we can postpone till after new years.
Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be a good idea. The last Flash-Fiction hasn't even finished yet and people are going to go MIA over Christmas vacay.

Then again you might get enough people signed up to do it.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't fix the typo, please.
I'll use that trigger with another... WITH the typo.
See ya on the 20th. (;

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, okay, I'll bite.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gobi13x
Member # 6837

- posted      Profile for gobi13x   Email gobi13x         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an interesting idea. I should be able to do it. I try to never back down from a challenge.
Posts: 80 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Hey, anybody actually doing this? I've written one story, am working on the other.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. I'm only at the ideas stage right now--but that's okay, I'm always finishing things right at the deadline.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Cool beans. I look forward to reading your stuff.

Btw, Alye, did you want the entries to be anonymous?

Edited to add: Okay, i read the instructions again and discovered yes, it is anonymous. Sorry!

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited January 27, 2008).]

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to drop out of this one; I have too many commitments right now to give it the proper attention.
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Sorry for the late notice, people, but I have to beg for a delay until March 2nd. Pressures of work--and no internet connection for the last three days :-(

Cheers,
Pat

Alye
Member # 5017

I guess i delay it to march 20th... been a bit busy myseld.. New position at work and Lots and Lots of training.
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Thank goodness for that! March 2nd was getting ... difficult.

Cheers,
Pat

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

It's awful quiet in here. Is anyone working on this challenge?

I won't be able to complete before the 26th of March, sorry. I've been distracted by moving into a new apartment, making friends with my ex-wife, reconnecting with our kids, locating a decent local pub, etc. And there's no internet service in the new apartment because BT are unable to process an order without losing it. Twice.

Cheers,
Pat

annepin
Member # 5952

Gosh TaleSpinner, nice to see you here! I'd pretty much given up on this. I'd submitted my entry two months ago. Don't know who else is participating at this point.
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Cool, Annepin! Well I'll get mine done by the 26th and again, sorry for my delays.

Pat

Alye
Member # 5017

Only you annepin =(
Alye
Member # 5017

Tale and anne, you are the only ones that entered.. go you want to crit each others work?
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

Yes please. I'd suggest no competition, just crits.

Anne, I look forward to reading your work.

Cheers,
Pat

annepin
Member # 5952

Sounds good to me!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.