Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » regarding cumulative point totals for first 13 challenge

Author Topic: regarding cumulative point totals for first 13 challenge
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
(since skadder didn't want to muss up the honor roll thread).

How about if we do it by the honor system--each participant keeps track of their own cumulative point totals, if they want to. If they win a round they can let the mod know their totals, or post it themselves. Alternatively, when you send in your entry, you can tell the mod your point total.

As for the value in keeping these totals... I'm rather intrigued, actually. <shrugs>

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited April 29, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, will probably not bother keeping track of points,but if someone else wants to do it for me I have no objection.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, dump it. It measures votes and that varies each week, so ultimately it isn't fair. If you win on a low voting week and your's was the best of 50 entries you would come second to someone who won on a high voting week despite there being only two entries that week and the other was very poor.

Adam

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 30, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree,

in fact, I am going to edit out the cumulative points in my post and place them here.

Cumulative Results
Total
49 Tiergan
45 J
29 Snapper
25 Alliedfive
22 Grant John
17 Wolfe Boy
15 Annepin
14 kathyton
14 Oblomova
10 Rhaythe
9 JustInProse
9 shimiqua
8 sephina
8 Jeff M
7 Skadder
7 Grex42
7 Rheneil
6 spindle
6 psnede
5 Bent Tree
5 Doctor
4 MorwenElda
3 InarticulateBabbler
3 Devnal
2 Thibault

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I edited them from my post in Honour roll as well.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, I will go with the flow. I will point out that I blieve the original idea behind the accum. points "season points" if the thread is remembered correctly was to encourage particpting every week, and to insure that the ones who entered also voted as "season" points were originally going to be docked if they didn't. In the end we should do what is best for the "competition" or "writing excercise". And the best thing for it is to get the most participants and the most voting.

We should also make it easy for the moderators.

I happen to like the season points, I am thrilled to be at the top, but I also know that the second place person didnt compete in as many weeks as me. (So I might be there by default). While I can't speak for everyone, this encourages me to make sure I find the time to enter every week, and write better to stay there.

Anyways, I love this competition, it shows there are many different ways, and starting points to write a story. I will stay either way.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited April 30, 2008).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
They were up originally as a consensus, but the concensus seems to have shifted. I was originally for the Idea as well.

Perhaps there is Tiger Woods... I mean Tiergan syndrome

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I missed the "accumulative points" concept. I feel this competition should keep going, and promoting a "Captain Hook" award is an awesome reward to shoot for, but wee can see how many times a person was voted "Captain Hook" without the points (it is recorded for posterity.)
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should just ditch the accumulated points altogether. it's getting way too complicated.
I say its Captain Hook, and thats it.
But, maybe we could have a Smee win for best title.
~Sheena
p.s. A big thank you for putting me back together.
(That's what a leper said)

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we really ought to remember the winning titles as well.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda like the cumulative points total. It is a fair process - the more votes you get, the more points you get. No, there's no real point to it (so to speak), but arguing in favour:
You can track your progress week to week. Climbing in the standings is a nice pat on the shoulder indicating you're doing something right. And falling in the standings is a gentle kick in the ass to work harder (or smarter, or whatever)
And for me, it's an incentive to work. Miss a week, and you take a visible hit. Left to my own devices I can be lazy. Knowing other people can see when I'm being lazy is motivational.

The downside to the points total is that it requires a non-trivial amount of effort by the moderator to keep everything in order. And it get's more complicated as time goes by.

If the consensus is to remove the points, I won't lose sleep over it. Maybe I'll just keep my own private points total. Yeah... I'll cut out paper dolls of all the participants and write their points totals on each one in periwinkle crayon and pin the paper dolls to my kitchen curtains and... Well, maybe that's a future challenge topic.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
We can always use this thread to keep track then

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.