Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » First 13 Challenge #7 Synopsis

Author Topic: First 13 Challenge #7 Synopsis
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Deadline: I will post all entries in one session on Thursday, May the 8th.

Mailing Format: Email to xistudios(at)hotmail(dot)com with "First 13" and your Hatrack Nick in the subject line. (This will allow me to run a search through my email.)

I'll close the polls on rising the following Tuesday and post the results that evening.

Rules:

• You can begin the story from any chronological part of the synopsis.

• Ensure it is only 13 lines. Read this thread for instructions on how to be certain.

• Any details not specified in the plan can be made up as long as they do not SERIOUSLY alter the story.

• Include all italic and bold formatting code in the text so the moderator can just cut and paste the text when he/she posts them.

• Remember, this contest is ABOUT mastering the hook--so have one.

• When you have finished email it to the moderator (by WEDNESDAY). The moderator will then assign it a number and record the authors name next to it. The moderator will then post it with the number only, not the name, in a separate thread from the story outline thread as he/she receives them. *PLEASE don’t look at what other people have done until after you have sent yours to the moderator.*

• Edit your work before sending it—no corrections will be made after it has been emailed, and email it only once. Put your HATRACK name at the top of the 13 lines, the moderator will remove it before he posts it, replacing it with a number.

• From Thursday onward voting/analysis can begin. The moderator will post the list of who did which intro on Saturday. **No voting for yourself**

Then a new moderator volunteers (it’s not much work--unless you consider creating the outline difficult) and then we start again.

Future moderators

1) Just in Prose
2) Grex42
3) Wolfe_Boy
4) Bent Tree
5) Doctor

MORE VOLUNTEERS??

Synopsis:

quote:

Will Scoresby is an English man-at-arms in the Hundred Years War. He lost his father to the French at Calais. His thirst for revenge against the hedge knight Sir Francis Guillaume has made him legendary for his prowess. In his quest for vengeance, Will slays another man-at-arms, who turns out to be Pierre Guillaume, and gains Sir Francis Guillaume's attention.

After loosing his lands to English King Edward's invasion, Sir Francis Guillaume fights the enemy as if inspired by God. In his battles, he begins to hear of an Englishman who is out for his blood. When his little brother hears of this, he seeks battle with the English man-at-arms and is killed. Sir Guillaume vows revenge.

Sir Guillaume and Will Scoresby are separated from the main battlefield, their ranks fight into a mountainous terrain. The skies grow dark as inky clouds envelope them. Corpses claw their way free of the earth until the battlefield is littered with them. The newly slain within the foggy crucible join the growing army of the dead. Some men try to flee and run into the smoky barrier, only to fall back in their death throes, flesh burned from anything that touched the dark clouds.

Will Scoresby and Sir Guillaume, across a small battlefield from one another, both notice the robed figure standing halfway up the mountain, flinging his hands about as if he were a puppet-master manipulating the corrupt army. They, and the ragtag remains of their men, must bury their differences and fight their way to the wizard, who must be slain if they want to live, and return home. Any who fall rise again...an enemy.

Feel free to substitue François for Francis (if you're more of a traditional mind).

Begin.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler to clarify a couple of points.]

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 02, 2008).]

[Edited to fix the grammatical error annepin pointed out. ]

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited May 07, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
**shudder!** Creepy! This is great--short but sweet.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Has homework ever been so fun? I give a hand to all you moderators, who can come up with such great ideas.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Tiergan, you should moderate!

IB, the change looks good. There's a grammatical error in the line:
When you have finished email it tothe moderator

(sorry, but since we tend to cut and paste the direction I figured we should fix it now or it will linger for all eternity...)

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

It took me a while to find the change, Was this the change made:

quote:
• You can begin the story from any chronological part of the synopsis.

If so, I hate to say it, I might go so far as saying, make sure the 13 lines you post are the start of your story.

And yes, it is past time for me to sign up, so here goes:

Future moderators

1) Just in Prose
2) Grex42
3) Wolfe_Boy
4) Bent Tree
5) Doctor
6) Tiergan

MORE VOLUNTEERS??

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

(sorry, but since we tend to cut and paste the direction I figured we should fix it now or it will linger for all eternity...)

Fixed. I tried to clean up some other stuff, too. (Not putting excessive effort into it, because I want to keep the nature light.)

quote:
If so, I hate to say it, I might go so far as saying, make sure the 13 lines you post are the start of your story

If what's there isn't enough to know, no amount of explaining will get through. This IS a first 13 competition, it shouldn't have to be broken down that far. It seems ridiculuos to need a definition for "the 13 lines" we are refering to. Sheesh.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

Well I have been accused of writing down to my readers. I guess it carried on to my post. Great outline by the way.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Whom has ever accused you of such a thing, Tiergan?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

IB--maybe we need to add something about what happens if you enter but don't vote?

I'm waiting to hear back from a few people on week six. I don't think it's fair to let them place if they haven't voted. On the other hand, since this is a weekly competition, I don't want to create a lot of hullaboo about recasting votes, etc.

Thoughts?

kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe stress that you don't have to critique all the pieces (or any of the pieces) to vote. Simply voting isn't time consuming.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the individual critiques are the most valuable part of this exercise, it generates a lot of opinions and helps each of us look at our piece more objectively than simply "did I place or not?"
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon you just name the people who didn't vote by close of competition, rather than extend the voting period. A name and shame roll.

You could post the list with the winning entry in the roll of honor and we can see who consistently fails to do it--that should motivate people without upsetting the process and having to get people to re-cast votes which is a major pain in the arse.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Yeah. There are a plethora of possibilities why someone wouldn't or couldn't vote. It's always been agreed that those that didn't vote in time missed out. Remember, critiquing teaches the critiquer as much as it does the author. I'll add my critiques after the voting is done and sealed--I have a 13 in there, and don't want to either give it away or critique my own.
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, IB --

Please e-mail me. kathytonb(at)gmail(dot)com

thanks

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey is Just in Prose going to moderate the next one?
I noticed him and his dad, Grex42, haven't been heard from for a week or two. Anyone got an answer?

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I haven't heard from him. I wonder if he's busy grinding out a WotF entry.
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, still here. I've been a shadow on the wall of a fly or something like that (the analogies get mixed up when I'm tired).

It's going to be a day late, been busy (last weekend of the school year was a weekend to choose). I'll have it up tomorrow by 3pm Central time. Entries will be allowed until thursday to make up for the delay.

See you all on the marrow!

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

No thanks, Marrow sticks to my teeth...and I'm trying to kick the habbit.
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly IB...you are the funniest person I have ever met on a forum site....not that I have been on more than this one...but still...

Every post of yours seems to raise my spirits. You should write a book or something!?!? :P

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Now there's an idea I never thought of. A book you say? But first I would have to come up with an outline, or at least a synopsis. No, no, I don't think I could come up with one of...
JustInProse
Member # 7872

Wait what!? A synopsis? What is that? I thought to write a book you just....write. Then you just make everything work out like you want it too...right? Isn't that what Dan Brown does? :P
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Dan who?
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
synopsis, isn't that when the shrink swings that thing in your face and you forget everything?
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Ah...and says, "You are getting very wordy...very wordy..."
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.