Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Writing Challenges?

Author Topic: Writing Challenges?
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I am scanning over several posts that seem to be some sort of contest. I haven't been here in a while, but I don't really remember this.

I think it looks like a fantastic idea, but I was wondeirng if someone would volunteer to help me get up to speed. Are there multiple contests going on simultaneously? Do they each have different rules, etc. I think I have the general idea, but just in case.

Thanks.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Zero,

weekly 13 challenge. Brief summery. Every week, generally speaking on Friday a synopsis will be posted. You write the frist 13 of the story, starting anywhere along the synopsis. You email to the moderator. He/she will then post it, generally speaking on Thursday. Then the voiting begins. you can not vote for yourself. You vote for best title, and 1st, 2nd and 3rd entry. THe winner becomes the Captain Hook of the week. This week, is week 8, and it is still open to submissions, until I believe thrusday. Check the challege#8, about poor blind kevin. More complete guidelines should be at the top of the post. Any more questions post them here, I will try to get back and check.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum3/HTML/000004.html

Here is a link to clarify the the definition of thirteen lines.

Let us know if you have anymore questions.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone whose in works from a single synopsis to come up with a hook for where they would start the story. (Usually the Synopsis is posted on Thursday.) When you've got your thirteen ready (italics and bold coded into it for cut-and-paste ease), send it to that week's moderator by Wednesday, and he or she will post it (sans the name) in a separate topic on Thursday. (The authors will be matched up with their stories publicly on Saturday.) You vote/critique from then until the following Tuesday.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey IB,

I think you bring up an interesting point here:

quote:
(The authors will be matched up with their stories publicly on Saturday.)

I may be mistaking but I believe this a carry over from the early challenges when they ended on Saturday. I wouldn't think the authors would be revealed until voting was done.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't write the rules...and apparently didn't amend them well, either.

That is, in fact, the point that caused so much confusion on Challenge #7 (which I moderated). I was trying to keep to the rules, and well, I thought (common sense) if the authors were revealed on saturday, the voting results would be, too.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

This sounds fun. Maybe I'll get something together in time for challenge 8. I have until tonight, right?
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Justin prose said it was open until midnight.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, and I am now confirming the extension into friday early morning. I will probably get up around 9-10ish, so anything I have by then will be posted and accepted.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

What timezone?
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Central U.S.

(If you find yourself trying to finish it up, don't be afraid to send me a quick email that says "WAIT FOR ME!!")

I will

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.