Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Week 10 Outline

Author Topic: Week 10 Outline
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Deadline: All entries will be posted sometime Thursday, so please have them in no later than midnight, Wednesday June 4th.

Mailing Format: Email to scottdbenttree [at] hotmail.com with "First 13" and your Hatrack Nick in the subject line. (This will allow me to run a search through my email.)

The polls will close the following Tuesday at approx. noon, with results posted that evening.

Rules:

• You can begin the story from any chronological part of the synopsis.

• Ensure it is only 13 lines. Read this thread for instructions on how to be certain.

• Any details not specified in the plan can be made up as long as they do not SERIOUSLY alter the story.

• Include all italic and bold formatting code in the text so the moderator can just cut and paste the text when he/she posts them.

• Remember, this contest is ABOUT mastering the hook--so have one.

• When you have finished email it to the moderator (by WEDNESDAY). The moderator will then assign it a number and record the authors name next to it. The moderator will then post it with the number only, not the name, in a separate thread from the story outline thread as he/she receives them.

*PLEASE don’t look at what other people have done until after you have sent yours to the moderator.*

• Edit your work before sending it—no corrections will be made after it has been emailed, and email it only once. Put your HATRACK name at the top of the 13 lines, the moderator will remove it before he posts it, replacing it with a number.

• From Thursday onward voting/analysis can begin. Vote for the first, second, and third place entries, as well as best title. Winner is judged to the the entry accumulating the most points given that a first place vote is worth 3 points, a second place vote is worth 2 points, and a third place vote is worth 1 point. Title contest is strictly majority rules. **No voting for yourself**

Then a new moderator volunteers (it’s not much work--unless you consider creating the outline difficult) and then we start again.

Future moderators

1) Doctor
2) Tiergan
3) illiterate
4) skadder.
5) Annepin.
6) JustInProse

Synopsis:

quote:
Sebastian Conte is the very successful founder and CEO of Verundi, an interstellar company that manufactures navigational components for spacecraft primarily, but also has an interesting weapons factory.

While gambling on vacation with his friend and head weapon designer, Bishop, They meet a peculiar Berian fellow, that offers them an expedition opportunity on VOS, a unhospitable planet of giant creatures.

Sebastion is reluctant, although Berians are a trustworthy race, but the gung ho, Bishop, persuades him to go on what could be the adventure of a lifetime.

But Sebastion's fears are justified, because on Vos, they are abandoned by their guide, to fend for themselves against harsh conditions and dinosaur like creatures. OH Yeah... It appears the guide also booked another hunting trip, because they are being hunted by a group of Dtydactlyns, the cunning predatory race that has been in conflict with humans and other sentient races for centuries.

Can Bishops new weapon save them? I will leave that up to you.

Happy hunting!

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited May 30, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited May 30, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Stick me back on this list....

Future moderators

1) Doctor
2) Tiergan
3) illiterate
4) skadder.
5) Annepin.
6) JustInProse
7) Wolfe_boy

Nice outline Bent Tree.... straight up action, reminds me a lot of The Most Dangerous Game. Expect an entry from me.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you date is a little mixed up at the top Mr. Bent Tree.

June 7th is a saturday.

Do we have to have it in on june 7th or the wednesday after..?

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

OOps, I swear my Outlook told me the 7th.

Wednesday the 4th

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Anybody playin? Haven't recieved any entries yet.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not playing this week--sorry--but I am too busy.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

I will be getting one to you tomorrow.... life has been kicking my butt, but I've had an idea percolating for a couple days. Now I just need some time to put pen to paper....

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hoping to have something to give to you tomorrow too. I am longing for my own house and computer though.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine's out...but you knew that. As I was typing this, you told me you got it already.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
You'll get it tonight. Hopefully better than last time
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I am probably doing it now with the extended deadline
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I am definately setting this back a week due to lack of participation. So just extend the dates a week.
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
So, when do I post my synopsis?
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

It has been really slow. I have two entries. I think if you post next Friday we might be back on track. Summer seems to have slowed everything down. Or perhaps this thing is starting to run its course.
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

I fear it's running its course as well, and my next turn might never arrive.

Anyways, my suggestion for an updated timeline is Outline due Wednesday, Week 1. Entries due Wednesday Week 2, so still only one week to write. Voting for one week, deadline Tuesday Week 3, and Wedneaday Week 3 the next outline comes up. Hopefully we'll get an increase in participation with onyl one task at hand at a time.

So, according to my proposed timeline Doctor, you're about two weeks away.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited June 05, 2008).]

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should scale back to once a month? I suppose if it's too infrequent, though, people might not join in. Maybe it's just something we'll bring up once in a while, whenever someone feels like throwing down the gauntlet.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I say: Post the Challenges Regularly.

Maybe some will have an easier time coming up with 13 lines from the next synopsis. This is a difficult synopsis, because it has many possible starting points, but almost none in which all of the elements can be mentioned. It almost seemed like it had a couple of false starts, and the protagonist's motivation seems unclear. So, some are bound to find difficulties with it.

I don't think it's any kind of an insult if there are more for the next synopsis (one man's trash is another man's treasure).

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Stability. I think we just need to get a few weeks of running stable, the same deadlines and such. I personally liked, the system of posting the sysnopsis on Friday with a wednesday deadline, and voting ended Saturday night. This got the voiting done quickly and allowed one to concentrate on writing the next 13. Lately every week has been different, and seemed to include a discussion of, should title points count, accum. points, which point system to use, and such. I kind of want the fun back, and not the confusion.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited June 05, 2008).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
IB has spoken.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

Stability sounds good. But since the deadline for this week has already been extended, I don't think you can shorten it up again.

If I had been asked (as one of the on-time submitters), I would have said its okay to just post the two submissions and allow feedback but skip the voting. Heck, more feedback that way But I'm cool with the extended deadline too. The more the merrier.

If anyone is having issues like IB outlined, heck, just pick whatever appeals and play with it. We saw a lot of variation in the last challenge.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I would be fine with doing that. I just thought that the participants would have wanted it this way.

If it Makes everything smoother we can do as you proposed, all you need is one more yeah, as there are now three entries. What say you all?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I should clarify, I'm not necessarily saying "don't finish with this one", I'm saying let people start planning for the next one also--if they want to. (Don't gum up the works.) There are reasons for the dates, and eventually people are going to fail to participate--seasons are coming up.

I don't know if it will be an applicable analogy, but when you practice in a band (A band, not just band) if you miss a note, chord, riff or beat, you don't stop everything, you just move on until everyone gets in synch. Everyone may not sink the measure, but, more than likely, they will the next.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 05, 2008).]

skadder
Member # 6757

I think lack of stability has been an issue. I think generally we should stick to a format and if the mod can't stick to it they should say so in advance, and back out. Certainly it puts me off with it changing all the time.

If there are few participants when you are mod--so be it. If the next week there are loads, it not necessarily to do with your synopsis. It should be something you can dip in and out of as a participant. the important thing is to keep it going.

Moderators need to remember to close the competition, close the voting, post the scores--and file the winner on capt Hook's Roll of Honour.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of having each challenge last two weeks--one week to write, one week to critique. I'll keep doing it either way though.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

So we will trudge on. Doctor, you are on deck for next Friday. I will close this one next Wednesday. Voting in the normal fashion, just one week behind, we skipped a week anywho.
Sorry for all the confusion.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited June 05, 2008).]

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

No worries, its all good.
But do we have to trudge? I prefer a brisk pace, swinging strides, wind in my hair.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

I like the idea of having each challenge last two weeks--one week to write, one week to critique.

For thirteen lines??!!! A week to write 13 lines??!!! Wow. Too slow for me. I want to write something else during the week--not to overwrite those lines--something I'm shooting for publication with. These contests (as previously stated) are to get and keep us writing. Two weeks to write and read 13 lines has the opposite effect, on me.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
No worries, its all good.
But do we have to trudge? I prefer a brisk pace, swinging strides, wind in my hair.

I suppose we could Glide

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.