Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Twist again like we did last summer...

Author Topic: Twist again like we did last summer...
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Simple challenge:

Write a 13-line story (so micro fiction!) with a twist. Set up something and try and twist it before the story finishes. Obviously the twist should seem to make sense within the story and not seem too deus ex machina...so a foreshadow may be required.

We are looking for a story--so a start, middle and end required...however sparse they may seem.

All quite difficult to do in so few lines.

Also titles...I have seen too many titles of late of the ilk 'The Bubblegum King and his Amazing Adventures in the Land of the Purle Dwarves' etc, etc. I would like to limit titles to four words at most (hyphenated words count as two words).

**PLEASE BE AWARE THAT ANY STORY YOU ENTER FOR THIS CONTEST WILL BE CONSIDERED PUBLISHED AND WILL LIKELY NEVER BE ACCEPTED ELSEWHERE...***

When you have written it just post it (or get a hatrack buddy to post it for you using their name) using this format on the thread I have created for entries:

Title:

Story:

Any questions or discussions can happen on this thread, NOT ON THE ENTRIES THREAD (although someone always does )

Voting to commence on 7th May. If you don't vote you can't win. Criting of the pieces is great (if you can) can but votes (1,2,3 and best title) are required.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing not mentioned is number of entries. Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited May 15, 2009).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Do you mean how many entries can one person enter? One per person is usual. WHy, do you want more than that?

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 28, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I use a story that has been published already?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I guess you could...but the idea is to promote you actually writing something--getting your frozen creative juices flowing again.

So the answer is yes you could, but no, you shouldn't--write something new.

BenM
Member # 8329

quote:
Do you mean how many entries can one person enter? One per person is usual. WHy, do you want more than that?

Nope, one per person is perfect.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

I so wanted to make mine longer... I also wasn't sure whether to add some whitespace for readability or not.
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see a cut-off date so I hope I didn't come in too late. At 200 words I had a pretty cool little story-- further cuts forced some major changes that may have hindered the story so I hope it still makes sense.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Voting commences on 7th May--see above.
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I read that after I posted. Too lazy to edit my post, I guess.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I get your laziness...
skadder
Member # 6757

Voting tomorrow.

Don't forget to vote. Voting until Monday--if you fail to vote by then, votes for you will be discounted (if someone voted you first place then the person they voted second will move up, etc.).

Anymore entries have 3 1/2 hours to be posted

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 08, 2009).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.