Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » February Trigger Challenge

Author Topic: February Trigger Challenge
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Gudday Hatrackers, ready for a February trigger challenge?

The objective of these challenges is to get a feel for submitting to an outside editorial/competition process, have fun writing, get plenty of critiques and most of all, have fun!

Word count: Maximum 3,000 words; minimum 500 words.

Trigger: Slave to Flame.

Genre: Science Fiction or Fantasy. (Think WOTF)

Cutoff Date: 11:59pm, February 28, 2010.

Story Votes and Crits In By: TBA (but not before March 10, 2010)

Crit Votes In By: TBA (but not before March 17, 2010)

Rules:
1) This is an anonymous contest. Do not post your entry in any place that is visible to other Hatrack members prior to the contest being finalised. Doing so will result in disqualification.
2) Story length will be determined by me running Word Count in Microsoft Word 2003.
3) Email entries to me (click the link at the top of this post for my email address) as .RTF files. Standard manuscript format is preferred.
4) I will email entrants back with an acknowledgement on receipt of their entry.
5) There is 24 hours grace to all cutoff dates to allow for timezone differences and other internet/email tomfoolery.
6) Following the cutoff date, I will collate the entries, email all participants a single collated RTF file with the entries and details of how to score and critique the story. I will then update this post with the date at which we are expecting all critiques and votes to be in.
7) On receiving all critiques, I will email each entrant the critiques for his/her story only. This post will then be updated again with the deadline.
8) Each entrant will then be asked to score the critiques for their own story and return them by a specified date.
9) All critiques will be posted in this thread with the Hatrack names of entrants and story title, followed by a list of scores.
10) No critique shall exceed 300 words (for reference: the longest crit from the Cinders challenge was 288 words). There is no other critique limitation.
11) Scoring and announcement of the winner will be calculated as detailed below.
12) I may enter the competition to provide numbers and additional feedback, but am not eligible to score (since, among other things, I know the trigger ahead of time).
13) If enough people (>50%) ask me before February 28 to post all scores, all scores will be listed. Otherwise I will only list scores for the top four or five entries.
14) Rules may be tweaked along the way as people point out various logical fallacies to which I've succumbed. Or they may not. I'm stubborn, too.
15) Not voting or supplying a critique will result in disqualification.

Voting:
In the first round, you will vote on each story as follows, and provide a critique. The votes will be
Best openings (first thirteen)
1st (1 point)
Best story
1st, 2nd, 3rd (5, 4 and 3 points)
Best use of trigger
1st (1 point)
You are free to choose your own definition of "Best".

After critiques are received and distributed, you'll simply vote on the best critique (1 point)

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited February 02, 2010).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a mighty complicated scoring system that's going come back and beat you round the head!
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

I have a magic spreadsheet. But if it's too complicated for participants - if voting for first second and third in multiple categories is too much of a hassle - then I'm happy to simplify just to best story and best critique. I am only trying to incorporate the opinions expressed in the other thread.

[I should add that I'm a computer programmer and numbers don't frighten me. But products without disclaimers do, so, ahem, hence all the fine print.]

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited February 01, 2010).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice trigger... **pulls on thinking cap**
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I wondered why you gave first second and thried different amount of points in each category?

When we first did the 13 line competitions a couple of years ago we used to give first--3 points and second--2 points etc. We found that wasn't fair. If one person got three first place vote and someone else was more consistent and got eight third place votes, the person with the three first place votes would win. The result should reflect which story that has the broadest appeal. So we changes it to 1st-5 points, 2nd-4 points, 3rd-3points. So in the above example, the guy with 8x3rd place votes would win comfortably.

I'm also thoughtful of scoring crits; it is natural people will score crits the highest that are analytic, but essentially say how wonderful the story was. A crit most likely to score lowest is one that briefly says the story was bad but doesn't explain why--with a spectrum in between. The problem arises in scoring a crit that is analytic but says your story is poor. I would imagine people would score that lower.

By scoring the crits you may skew the crits. I am probably over analysing it.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 01, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

I can see your point, skadder. I'd not really thought of it that way; I'll amend the original post shortly.
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
*rubs hands introspectively and purses mouth*

I look forward to this one.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably beating the bones of the dead horse that is this subject - but what exactly constitutes "using the trigger" again?

- Just using a word from the trigger? Like 'slave' or 'flame'...or 'to'?
or
- What if it's really abstract? Where the idea of the trigger is there in the prose without being explicitly stated....

Wait..., is that possible...?

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

While I think abstract is cool, I think some of the critiques in the last challenge give a clue - the application of the trigger for some readers was no problem, for others it wasn't obvious and they commented on it. Personally I've no problem reading a story that doesn't use the words of the trigger, if I can still pick up some idea that the concept is there.

I'm tweaking the scoring rules again a little, I think, so they're more in line with that used in Cinders: story trumps the opening and trigger use. It would be a shame to see people afraid to write what they really want to write because they're afraid their trigger use isn't obvious enough. Points for best use of trigger should be icing on the cake, not the cake itself, I think.

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited February 02, 2010).]

Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Im more or less confused on everything - except the trigger and word count stuff, so I'll just write the story and leave the technicalities to you folks
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know if you care or are just going to collect the stories in the end Ben, but just an FYI - I am outtie for the competition. (
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

Sorry to hear it, Devnal. I've found it very hard to find time to sit still at home lately, let alone sit behind the computer, but there's still a couple of weeks if you change your mind. Hey, even a five hundred word flash would do for a bit of fun and a critique

BenM
Member # 8329

The first batch of entries are in, but there's plenty of time for more - and plenty of time to write for anyone still considering entering.

If in posting the fragments for voting I get your story's title wrong etc, please email me with any questions.

BenM
Member # 8329

Only a few more days...
BenM
Member # 8329

Couple more entries are up, 1 more day to go!
BenM
Member # 8329

A couple more are up, this is looking like fun! Because of timezone differences I'm giving a bit of a grace period in case any more are still on their way in.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've read entry six before. Aren't the stories supposed to be written after the trigger is announced?
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

I suppose that would be in the spirit of the challenge, but there's no way to really enforce it (or to know, unless you've read the whole story, that someone didn't just use a similar opening fragment and then craft a new story). However, rule 1 is fairly clear and testable; prior to announcing the scores I will review each entry to determine if it's eligible.
BenM
Member # 8329

With five votes in and three more to go, the lead is being held by the slimmest of margins. And given that all stories have several points already, I think it's a clear indication that there were some great ideas and stories in this batch.

First batch of critiques will be going up shortly.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.