Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » The Unknown...

Author Topic: The Unknown...
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
So this is your basic intro competition. Many of you have done this before, but I will post the rules below:

1. Write a 13 line hooky intro. Explanation here of how to ensure yours is 13 lines. If it is longer it will get cut by The Lady of the Scissors (visual: Scissors, grasped in a hand, rise slowly in the centre of a lake to choral music..).

2. Write to the prompt. We are flexible, but it should be there...somewhere!

3. Post your intro using the format identified in this
thread
. Please don't post anything but entries on that thread.

4. All entries posted by or on 15th February (GMT). I will close the competition on 16th and open it for judging.

5. If you wish your entry to anonymous (until the reveal at the end) then email me with your Hatrack name and your story FORMATTED exactly as it needs to be to posted. By that I mean if want italics then use the code, and make sure I can just cut and paste it into a post without any more fiddling...Be aware, if you send it to me and I post it and then you want to change something you won't be able to.

6. Guidance for voting: when voting is open you will be asked to vote for your top 3 stories. Please take into account smoothness of prose, desire to read more, adherence to the prompt.

You are not allowed to vote for your own.

You may post comments about the intros (encouraged) but this isn't obligatory.

If you fail to vote you will be disqualified and your votes will trickle down (if someone voted you first then your 5 points goes to whoever they voted for second).

When voting opens, vote before looking how others have voted. It is fairer and stops you from being influenced one way or the other(i.e. everyone votes for a particular story...)

Don't play if you don't plan to vote...

So...the prompt:

There must be no actual dialogue (I am British!), and it must be about someone going somewhere they fear, alone. You are allowed to use indirect thoughts in third or 1st person.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 08, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 08, 2011).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Discussions, questions etc. on this thread. The other thread is for entries only!
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
What will be "the prompt" this time?
Or is their none for this exercise?

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Giggity

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited February 09, 2011).]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be participating.

I've been burning to run a contest for a while now but time is not my friend.

Thanks for doing this Skadder.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of us a bit slower on the uptake, what do you want by the 15th, the first 13 posted, the first 13 posted and story sent to you, or everything posted. Just a little unclear in my mind what you are looking for.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

You don't write a story, just a 13 line intro.

quote:
So this is your basic intro competition...Write a 13 line hooky intro.

You can either post it yourself or send it to me by the 15th. I will post any I get overnight when I wake in the morning of the 16th.

Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Like I said, some of us are just a little slower on the uptake than others. I had since figured that out, but thanks for the reply.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Don't worry. They weren't the clearest set of rules I have ever posted!
skadder
Member # 6757

RULE UPDATE: Sorry forgot to add. When posting your story do bear in mind each voter gets to vote for their favourite title. When the results are posted there is a Best Title winner.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 12, 2011).]

skadder
Member # 6757

RULE UPDATE:, I would like to point out that during the voting period you must not edit your intro any further OR be drawn into explaining anything as a result of comments--although you may do so after the votes have been tallied and winners announced.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited February 12, 2011).]

axeminister
Member # 8991

Lots of entries!

Where is OWASM?

Axe

skadder
Member # 6757

Yeah--usually get a lot of entries if their hasn't been one of these for a while.
skadder
Member # 6757

Some great entries. I am giving 24 hours notice of the close of competition. I will close the competition on the entry thread; please don't vote until you see that post.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.