Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » First one in '13 Tree Falls Why?

Author Topic: First one in '13 Tree Falls Why?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm taking a chance here and using my writing time but I need to do this now.

I'm going to do this pretty much like axe did the halloween stories--there will no prize, just a champ.

Dates and times and rules.
First round judging will be from Jan 25th - midnight Feb 11
Stories were distributed, names removed, to the other contestants.
I ask that you at least vote your top 3, but also that you critique - in a constructive way - on the stories you read.
I will post critiques for all to read.
Please wait to read others' critiques until you yourself have critiqued.

Voting
Please vote for your top 3 favorite stories.
Points will be awarded 5 for 1st, 4 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd. If there are enough stories I will include any HMs people include with their votes.

The premise of this story is to tell why this huge sequoia fell, more on that in this Article Yes, it really happened.

Now the story can be SF, Fantasy, Alternate History, UF, cyberpunk even, as long as it explains why that tree fell. It can take place now, ancient history, 1800s, 1600s etc, but not in the future. I say not in the future but someone could come from the future to our time or go way back to ancient history.

Anywhere between 1,000 words and 4500. Sorry Dr. Bob and the others who like to write long stories but I don't want it to take too long to read or crit them.

As I said only reward is that someone will be a Champion.

I will post the first 13 lines and any crits under the 13--try to keep the crits simple and to a few comments.

Remember it has to be that tree.

And I may even participate in this challenge. [Smile]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Realized I didn't say something. It may not matter but start sending them--if anyone does one--next week until the 23th.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

One story. A nice one from the opening but that is all I will say about it.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, while looking over a second one I realized I need to work on my story.

I think I've seen a couple Challengers do a story too.

I have two basic ideas and one nebulas one. I should be able to get away with 1500 to 3,000 words.

Alley Al
Member # 10014

- posted      Profile for Alley Al   Email Alley Al         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the wind, its moans when too much is too much...until the large trunk of the tree breaks which in his case it had too if he was to survive his time travel. The 'ZOOK! was swift and too damn hard, placing him on the beach just as a large vessel was docking. Not far from the sandy shore, amidst a small patch of trees and foliage, the trunk of the tree lay surrounded by demolished brush, flowers and vines that had been in it's path. And there Casey sat; his space-suit, boots, hair and face covered with shards of bark and splinters. Bewildered beyond belief he had survived the journey through the time portal. Even more his eyes were capturing a moment in history. He was truly disappointed... maybe he was wrong. His eyes tightened allowing the scenery seeping through the remaining brush to

[ January 22, 2013, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Kathleen Dalton Woodbury ]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was going to post these myself, you send the story to me.

I have only two and wanted to wait until I had at least one more but maybe I shouldn't have waited. But there is three now if I post the other two.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay, got two full stories.

And one set of 13 lines by themselves. I hope that story is being written. We need a fourth.

And I plan to write mine this next week-which is the third one-, should be 1 to 2 thousand words. I have it pretty much in my mind so if I don't add a bunch more than what is in my head I can zip through it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.