Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Contrary to popular belief...

Author Topic: Contrary to popular belief...
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
...I am not dead.

Which does not necessarily mean that fact is an important one, but it is true nonetheless. Quite frankly, I never expected to find a 'grist mill' area here. Mainly because we never had one (back in the day). However, now that I've had a chance to hear my voice bounce off the millstone...I LIKE IT!

Who's idea was this, anyway? Bloody good idea.

Anyway, I guess I realized how much I missed hanging around here. Though the faces have changed somewhat (with a few exceptions), Hatrack seems to have remained the same: a good place to be.

My writing has been through some tough changes of late. I spent ten months on a project I cannot do anything with...just for the sake of finishing something I began. Some of you may remember how much trouble I had with that (back in the day). It seems I've finally gotten over that odd stumbling block (finished a 66k word short novel...which, again, I cannot publish). However...I did finish it. And what's more...I finally found my voice in the process of writing the damn thing.

So why am I posting all this rubbish here? No clue. Perhaps I just felt like sticking my head in the door and saying "Hey! What's up?" Perhaps it seemed a more polite way to slide back into the Hatrack family. Like a cousin who arrives late to the wedding, changes in the restroom, and surreptitiously sidles in amongst the guests throwing rice.

Yeah.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited October 07, 2008).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post 
well, its better to slip in and toss rice than miss the wedding altogether.
i peeked my head in here at hatrack (literally- see intros) about 4 days ago, so i definately am one of those new faces around here.
its nice to see that you have found your voice. i will be searching for mine for a long time to come, i suspect.
its exciting to read of all the projects people are working on-- exciting and well, motivating (that inner voice is saying depressing, but i can turn it into a boot to be used for 'motivational' purposes!).
good luck to you in your work. i look forward to reading something from you.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, Inkwell.

I'm glad you like the "Grist Mill."

The Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum has truly evolved over the years (and there have been quite a few of those years). It means a lot to me that it continues to be helpful to people.

Edited to add: I just checked, and I've been moderating the Hatrack River Writers Workshop forum since January 1997 -- coming up on twelve years. Wow!

Write on!

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 07, 2008).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

Wow, Kathleen. Someone should've baked you a cake for your ten-year anniversary. I think I was active back then, so I take full responsibility for our past culinary failures. You probably wouldn't want me to take responsibility for future culinary endeavors, as I'm pretty horrible with anything involving flour, an oven, and/or measuring cups. I'm fine with a grill, but the rest....

That being said, it's good to see you're still running the show. Not that I'm calling you a fixture or anything...more like a constant (though the word is a bit bland in this context).

Thanks for the "welcome back."

quote:
Posted by tempest:
i look forward to reading something from you.

I really appreciate that. However, I will probably comment and critique more often than I will post (if I post my own work at all). I've been getting a lot of practice at both writing and critiquing over the past few years, and want to give a little back to this community that helped me out so much as a beginning writer (which I still feel like 99% of the time).

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited October 07, 2008).]

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Inkwell.

Virtual cake is always perfect, no matter who "cooks" it, so thanks for that as well.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is your final product unpublishable?
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

That's a long story.

It started as little more than a writing exercise. Rehab, if you will (I was coming off of a six month dry spell, having burned myself out). At the time I was also playing with screenwriting, doing spec scripts and the like, so I decided to take the same tack with the exercise...playing in someone else's sandbox. This was great for my psyche at the time, since it meant there was no pressure to get it done.

However, I got so hooked on the plot and, especially, the characters that I decided to take it wherever it wanted to go. That trip didn't end until after I had 147 Word pages written and edited.

So, in a nutshell, it falls under the category of non-profit attribution. As I said, the fact that I can't do anything with it doesn't bother me. I gained three things from the project: found my 'voice,' actually completed something for a change, and proved to myself that I am more than capable of writing long works of fiction. That, plus a host of other positive experiences during the writing process, made the whole thing more than worth it.

Inkwell
------------------
-Anonymous

Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Inkwell, ever heard of "filing off the identification numbers" as applied to science fiction and fantasy writing? It means that you have written something in someone else's copyrighted universe and you like the story so much you want to try to publish it.

You remove everything that makes it identifiable as being from that other, copyrighted, universe, change names, call weapons or places by some other designation, and so on.

The story is yours, even if the setting and characters were someone else's. If you rewrite the setting and characters, so they are yours, too, you may have something you can publish.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

Yes, I briefly toyed with that idea. To be truthful, I'm not sure I could do that without damaging the story. As it is, it nestles into its context universe really, really well. Moreover, I've moved on to what I hope are bigger and better things. I appreciate the suggestion, though. Who knows? Maybe someday I'll give it a comprehensive overhaul. I guess part of it may be I'm just ready for something new, after working on it for so many months.

Inkwell
------------------
-Anonymous

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.