Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Where I Write

Author Topic: Where I Write
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I just received this URL from my wife, who suggested a messy office isn't quite so bad.
http://www.whereiwrite.org/delany.php

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
While there are no end to studies that attempt to justify whether a messy desk is good or bad for productivity, I remember one article I read a long time ago that rang true with me.

The gist of it was that, in general (and there definitely are exceptions), but in general, the people with a messy desk in a typical office are the people who do most of the work and get things done. Thinking back to offices I have worked in, this has truth to it.

The "heart and soul" of the office, the people getting things done are usually those who you can't actually see the surface of their desk.

Then on the other hand, you have those guys with the bookcase with 3 binders on it and a desk with only a laptop, maybe a piece of paper or two, and a family photo in an expensive frame. And almost all the time, I'm never sure what these guys do, or in fact, what they are supposed to be doing.

If I need to get something done, my experience is that I would much rather go to the person with the messy desk vs. the person with the empty desk.

Of course, I'm sure you could find umpteen studies that disprove the above

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days I've got to really buckle down and clean out where I write...it's already a chore to just slip into the so-called office and sit down.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.