Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Dodged a bullet

Author Topic: Dodged a bullet
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Temporarily anyway.

This morning I expected that I would be on the way to the vet to put one of my cats to sleep. Libby is only ten and a half, but she has cancer so I know it won't be very long. I opted not to put her through possibly multiple surgeries and just let her be Libby for as long as she could. I know I tried too hard with her brother, Buttons, who had septisemia. His last year and a half was hell. I decided not to do that this time.

Starting Monday, I thought the end was coming. I came home to find her sitting in the laundry room, leaning against the dog food container, staring at the wall. But she perked up on Tuesday and started eating again. Last night she went in tight circles all night long until she exhausted herself. Even when she rested, her head was twisted back over her shoulder and she couldn't seem to straighten it. And she wouldn't eat. So I had made the appointment.

When I came home to get her, she had straightened out and she took a little food again. It's probably day by day, but Lotus Blossom is still around this afternoon.

I wouldn't say Libby (Lotus Blossom-->L.B.-->Libby) was a sweet cat. She's always been, well, opinionated. One of her last acts last night, before she started circling, was to slap the cr*p out of my youngest cat, Widget. Apparently just for being there and breathing in her general direction. She was going to take on her litter sister and nemesis, Furby, too. I broke that up. That would have been a mistake, since Furby has easily ten pounds on Libby at this point and could probably just sit on her and crush her. Libby's biggest problem all her life has been that she wanted to be the princess, but Furby was already empress and the position wasn't available.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
It is so hard to lose the animals that we love and who love us. My heart goes out to you and Libby. Hug her while you have her.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Been there done that.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Been there done that

Yeah. It's the price you pay for having a pet. Sometimes it's easy to know when it's time to make that call. Looks like Libby's going to make it hard. That is so like her.

She had a relatively good night last night. No more circling. She hasn't eaten a lot, but I got her a high cal supplement which, being Libby, she hates. The dogs would be more than happy to take it for her, but the last thing either of them needs is high-cal anything.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.