Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » I Owe You Hatrack Folks a BIG Thank You

Author Topic: I Owe You Hatrack Folks a BIG Thank You
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked my profile and can't believe how fast time has passed since I joined this forum (One of the best moves of my life, I might add .).

I know I've been missing from the forums, but I'm determined to finish one of my stories. I'm concentrating on my novella about Wyatt the horse abuser. It's coming along just great, and when I finish this round of revisions, I will be submitting it... my first submission to be exact. Can't wait to start receiving those rejection slips .

BUT while I was working on this story, I read some of the others that aren't finished. What a shock! The one I quit working on to finish my novella was so terrible I couldn't get past the first paragraph. It was terrible! And I wrote that not more than six months ago!

This proves how much I've improved all due to you folks here on Hatrack. I feel like I've taken a course on creative writing and come out on top. Like a sponge, I've absorbed what you folks offered and prospered more than I ever imagined. "Thank you" seems way too little to say for what I've learned from this forum. YOU FOLKS ARE FANTASTIC!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU (one more time), THANK YOU.

[This message has been edited by Crystal Stevens (edited November 23, 2009).]

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually it takes a year or so for any good feeling I have about what I've written to wear off...in the meantime I veer from "this is garbage" to "this is great." Nowadays, I like to let them cool off for a few months before starting the second draft---and they usually don't look so bad by then.

I haven't been as involved in the passing-around-of-actual-stories as maybe most of you have, but, to a certain extent, just writing up something to post keeps me sharp.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply, Robert.

I was using my own stories as an example of how much my writing has changed (and improved) due to the knowledgeable folks here on Hatrack. This of course includes you too, my friend.

I've read in several different "how to" books that if you want to be a writer, you should write something everyday. I always thought anything written online, like what I'm doing right now, should count in that respect even though I'm not working on any given project. Like you, I do believe it keeps a writer sharp and on his toes if he(she?) doesn't have time for anything else . That said, it's time for me to get back to my novella. Time's awastin' !

[This message has been edited by Crystal Stevens (edited November 24, 2009).]

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I have quite enjoyed watching you grow. As well as seeing others come form their first 'waking from a dream' story in F&F to seeing their first sale in Publications & Reviews. From time to time I even go back and look at some of my first posts and become amazed at the progrees which I have made. I too am really thankful for this place and the people in it. I would not be where I am today without you guys.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is a great springboard. Its members are among the strongest learners seeking publication, the most tenacious with regards to beginnings, and some of the best friends I have.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.