Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Bad advertising here at Hatrack

Author Topic: Bad advertising here at Hatrack
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this is intentional or not, but a very malicious form of advertising has been spotted here on this very forum, under the topic "1st editions" you can see in the first couple of posts the words "marines" and "book room" in double-underlined green, which, when moused over, will pop up a large ad.

I've seen this kind of advertising before and it is poor taste. And I wonder if it's intentional or if it is that, somehow, the forum itself has been compromised.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

It seems to have vanished now, but it was there. Not sure what that means.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
It might have been on your end, you might have picked up some adware, and were able to see it before your anti-virus killed it. (Assuming you have such.)
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are my posts and they dont hold links. The only link i see in the thread is a wikipedia link from BenM. KDW and others have read and posted there too and I am sure they would have noticed any links like that.

Probably your computer, hope its something minor that a scan picks up. Ive had two computers eaten by viruses in my lifetime.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way (as far as I know) to encode html or any other type of info like this in posts on hatrack. I actually have grown fond of this feature, since we don't get too many silly posts with offtopic pictures and video.

So yeah, almost certainly this is something at your end in your browser.

Early this year I somehow picked up a virus on my netbook that caused firefox and ie to change all URLs to an adware site. So if I opened up google, clicking on any search result redirected my browser. It was very annoying, and very hard to remove.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

You're right, it was on my end. Solved it. Thanks.
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Early this year I somehow picked up a virus on my netbook that caused firefox and ie to change all URLs to an adware site. So if I opened up google, clicking on any search result redirected my browser. It was very annoying, and very hard to remove.

And you can play pranks on your friends by changing their host file, too. he-he. Of course, it's not funny when your friend's wife is using the computer, and that...um, adult site came up instead of Google...Got lots of 'splaining to do.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Yahoo Toolbar will do that too, if it is installed in your computer...which is automatic install if you download messenger.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Funniest thing, I come to his site, read this topic, and wow, I got the same problem, the word netboook opened a site, along with a couple other words. And yes it was on my end, I got some new toolbar thingy and bamn, but I thought it funny I downloaded it the same day, just before i read this site and therefore had the sae problem.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.