Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » I am Yi Qin

Author Topic: I am Yi Qin
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a conjuror, in the service the Emperor of Fei Chu. I walk the hidden borders of the Empire, the borders that no army can patrol, that no wall can contain. I have faced ghosts and I have faced demons and I have faced Gods.

Now, however, it would appear I face something very different.

Ask. I will answer, as best I might.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Noble Conjurer. Do you not find it ironic that man that the Gods helped create now hunts their creators? Would that not be the ultimate form of betrayal?
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you involved in a relationship right now?
What is your weapon of choice?
Do you have any past times?

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
How old are you?

Are you a guy or a girl?

Where were you born? (or how did you come into being if you're not one of us humans...)

Do you love your momma? Do you *have* a momma?

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Noble Conjurer. Do you not find it ironic that man that the Gods helped create now hunts their creators? Would that not be the ultimate form of betrayal?

How odd. Do I understand that you are suggesting that you believe that the Gods created mortals? I have never heard such a suggestion.

quote:
Are you involved in a relationship right now?
What is your weapon of choice?
Do you have any past times?

I am not entirely sure what you mean by a "relationship", but if you mean what I suspect you mean, than the question is indelicate, and the answer is emphatically not.

I was trained for seven years at The World Above The World Below, and achieved the seventh rank of mastery in kang chun ching. Thus I am familiar with the use of many weapons. However, I prefer to avoid their use, and bear only the darts on my sleeve and the knife in my belt; and they are used more for letting my own blood than that of an enemy.

I do not allow myself the luxury of pastimes (as I assume you mean); I devote myself to my purpose. I will not deny that I appreciate the sound of the guqin, but I never learned to play an instrument. My studies were always more... practical.

quote:
How old are you?
Are you a guy or a girl?

Where were you born? (or how did you come into being if you're not one of us humans...)

Do you love your momma? Do you *have* a momma?

I have lived for a little over two Great Years, so if I understand your reckoning correctly, I am twenty-five years of age.

I am a woman.

I was born in Deng Wei province, where my father had the honour to be in the service of Governor Lal Tsi; indeed, he served for a time as the Governor's Chief Bodyguard. As, briefly and less successfully, did I.

My mother died when I was born, and dwells on the Silent Mountain. I remember her in my prayers, as I remember my twin, Yi Zhang, who never drew so much as a single breath of her own.

[This message has been edited by tchernabyelo (edited August 28, 2008).]

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Sound like you're involved in something pretty intense. How did you fall into this line of work? Are there others like you?

What do you think of the emperor?

How are you compensated?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
How long did you train to become a conjurer?

Do you have any friends? If so, who is your closest?

What do you fear?

What makes you laugh?

What offends you? Drives you mad?

What do you think of when you think of love?

What do you think of when you think of your father? Mother?

Do you have other syblings? Which are you closer to, if so?

What's your favorite: scent? fabric? taste? sound? animal? person? spell?

Where do you live?

Do you like to cook?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes you laugh? Or perhaps more pertinently, when's the last time you remember laughing?

(sorry, did not read IB's posts before posting myself!)

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited August 29, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I love your voice! Well done.
Ida could learn a thing or two about dedication from you.

MrsBrown

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

quote:
Sound like you're involved in something pretty intense. How did you fall into this line of work? Are there others like you?
What do you think of the emperor?

How are you compensated?

I arrived at the Imperial City intending to atone for my failure to protect Governor Lal Tsi, and to prevent disgrace for my family. However, the Emperor deemed it... inefficient, to have me die on the pyres of the Day of Great Accounting. So it is that I find myself, instead, in his service.

I have been informed by Cheng Huan, one of the Council of the Seven Wisest Men, that there are officially thirty-seven conjurors currently in the Emperor's service. It is possible that the number is smaller, since Wu Wei has not been heard of for some time.

It is not my place to judge the Emperor. I will say only that he values efficiency, and I strive to be suitably efficient, as best I might.

When I am present in the Imperial City, I have apartments at my disposal. When I travel - as is predominantly the case - I bear the Emperor's Tablet, and thus receive what aid I require.

quote:
How long did you train to become a conjurer?

Do you have any friends? If so, who is your closest?

What do you fear?

What makes you laugh?

What offends you? Drives you mad?

What do you think of when you think of love?

What do you think of when you think of your father? Mother?

Do you have other syblings? Which are you closer to, if so?

What's your favorite: scent? fabric? taste? sound? animal? person? spell?

Where do you live?

Do you like to cook?

I have been training to become a conjuror for some years. I have mastered five of the Twelve Unspoken Words, and am accounted capable for my age. I have my sister to thank for that; she knows all twelve.

A conjuror cannot afford friends.

I fear... failure.

I do not laugh.

Hypocrisy offends me. Malice offends me. Those who would upset the natural order of the world offend me. But these things do not anger me. There is no purpose in anger.

When I think of love? I think of my older sister, Yi Bai, and of her family, and my cousins and my nephews.

My father and mother are dead. My mother died giving birth to me. My father died because of my failure. I remember them, that they might dwell on the southern slopes of the Silent Mountain, amongst the pleasant courts of Wu Feng Kai Fan, Watcher Over Those Who Are Gone But Not Forgotten.

My closest sibling? Yi Zhang, my stillborn twin, from whom I can never truly be parted.

The scent of jasmine. The feel of silk. The taste of ginger. The music of the guqin, or else the soft sound of a fountain. I do not care for animals. Yi Bai, my sister. And the Fifth Unspoken Word: The Word That Binds And Releases Spirits, for that is my duty to the Emperor.

When I am not travelling, I dwell in apartments in the Imperial Compound. When I travel, I stay where I might, according to what is made available to me by the local authorities.

I cook, if I have need, when I travel.

quote:
What makes you laugh? Or perhaps more pertinently, when's the last time you remember laughing?

I do not recall laughing, though doubtless I did as a child.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.