Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Hey everybody - I'm Anya

Author Topic: Hey everybody - I'm Anya
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a teenager. My family just moved to the Convergence Space Station. I miss earth and all, but it's pretty cool up here. I just got a new cat, I named her Underfoot. She's cute, and she's better adapted to the changing gravity up here than any earthborn cat could be. She hides on the no-grav days, but otherwise she makes her presence known.

I have one brother, a little older, his name is Tobias. My parents are pretty cool, though they're both wrapped up in their work right now. Technically we moved up here for my mom's job but my dad works in computers so he's got a job too.

I am about to start high school. I'm more than a little nervous since I don't know anybody but the landers that came up here with us.

I'm kinda good with computers, I think it's a good idea to be nice to machines and that seems to pay off for me. My brother thinks I'm loony when I tell the automatic doors thank you. Hey - he's a little loony too.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this your first time in space?

Do you think you'll go back to Earth after a while or do you expect to stay in space for the rest of your life?

What do you think you'll miss most about Earth?

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, lots of teenagers here.

Have you met anybody at all? What are your initial impressions of the people there? How are they different from Earth folks?

What are you most afraid of?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
So what does the high school look like. How many students will attend? Will there be a prom, or am I just proving my own space school ignorance.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Hi, Anya!

I'm Billy, a 16 year old originally from Rottweil, Germany, but living in a Maryland suburb in the United State while my dad works with the German Foreign Service. My mom complains every time he's sent to a different country, so I'm hoping he gets transferred to the same space station you're at.

I'm a keyboardist in a local band. Right now, we're having a tough time getting noticed. Too many other bands in the area. So, just out of curiosity, what's the music scene like up there? Did only the 'flavor-of-the-month music make it to space, or is there a broad sampling of our sounds to choose from? Are any teens picking up instruments and starting bands?

Hope to hear from you soon!

Billy

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
This is my first time in space. Mom's been a bunch. Dad was up a few times to the other space stations, but it's my first time in space. Of course, we've been in transit and orientation for a while - couple weeks.

Mom and Dad can't agree on whether we'll go back home. Yeah, I still think of earth as home.

I know what I miss most about Earth already. It's the trees. Particularly the big acacia tree from my back yard. I liked it so much that that's the icon I picked out for my Identity. We all have to wear these Identities all the time, we wear them on necklaces. Mine is so pretty with silver leaves that sparkle in certain light.

I have met a few people - I've met the computer teacher at school, Mrs. Ortega. She seems OK but there's something funny about her. She looks at me with an odd pinched expression.

I also have met Bruce. His family lived in Russia but they're not ... well, you know.

Not long into the story I meet my new best friend - Xaria. My Writer can't decide if having best friends Anya and Xaria is too sing-songy. She's quirky and redheaded (aren't they all? LOL) and saved my skin the first day at school. She was *born* on Convergence - can you imagine having only ever lived in space?

So far everyone seems OK, but I don't know. It is different here in ways I can't yet figure out.

I'm most afraid of looking foolish at school, something I will manage to do many many times in the early days.

The high school is just a series of halls in the central tube of the station, marked by doors and other non-boundary boundaries. Yes, I know I talk like I'm older than a teenager. My Writer is working on that a little bit, but I'm precocious, what can I say?

I think I should find out if there's a prom. But it doesn't matter, I wouldn't get invited anyway. I'm just a nobody lander from earth.

My Writer is still working out the size details. It might be that we're just one of several high schools. She happens to have misplaced her fact sheet so give her a bit of time while she finds it.

Music scene - great question and something else I'm going to have to find out. We get a lot of our media from earth, but a bunch is produced here too. I've never been to a concert before, unless you count the Athens Falls Chamber Orchestra.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
You miss the trees? Where are you? What's a space station? (Never mind, don't let me highjack your thread, whatever that means.)

Seriously, if you have a new best friend that means you had an old best friend, right? Who was she? How much do you miss her? Leaving home is really tough; if you want my advice, let your mother know how you feel. You might be surprised by how much she understands. If she's too busy for you, you send her my way!

Ida

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited August 29, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BBPaul
Member # 8161

- posted      Profile for BBPaul   Email BBPaul         Edit/Delete Post 
Anya,

Changes like that can really change a person's priorities. What do you value most now that you are in a strange place so far from home?

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.