Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Joi.

Author Topic: Joi.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm.. Hello. My name is Joi. I do not really know what to say here. Well, hmm. I’m 16, and I live with my Mother and my two little brothers, Andrew and Caleb within the walls of Graysil Township. We live within the walls because it is not safe to go outside them. The dragons could get you. The dragons stalk the shadows, but they stay in the dark. The dragons killed my father almost eight years ago. That was before the city moved behind the walls.
I have a crush on a boy named Seamus. Oh my gosh, I cannot believe I just wrote that. Please do not tell him I would be mortified. I do not really have a chance with him. The dragons usually take those who threaten them, so there are not very many boys left in the village. Seamus is the only one my age, and there are several girls here. They are prettier than me. I mean, It is not that I’m not pretty, I mean I’m pretty average, you know no hideous scars. It is just that I have curly hair. I’m an oddity, a freak really, and it really frustrates me when people rumple my hair. I’m different, because my father came from the town Arowyn to marry my mother before the dragons moved into my area and stopped trade. I look younger than I am and people are always calling me a child. I hate that. I’m quiet though, I’d rather hide than fight.
So I guess that is what I am going to do. A storm is coming and the storm will douse the lanterns protecting the city. The light burns the dragons, and even a candle could protect a person. Just don’t let one breath on you.
I am mostly normal. I like to read, and I used to have a dog named Bangles. I am not that good at math if I have to count above twenty, the numbers get kind of fuzzy. I’m impatient sometimes, but I help my mother whenever she asks. I do not go to school, mostly I help plant and tend and harvest in the towns farm. I used to tend the sheep, until I got distracted reading and a sheep was run over by a cart. Mayor Yan forbid me from that time forth to read, and all of our family’s books were compensated and given to the Candle smith Master Gibb. Gibb is a fool man. Greedy and stupid.
Sorry , I am trying to talk about me. Hmm. Well Seamus is Gibbs son. He is handsome with ash blond hair and gray eyes. Their family is among the richest in our community. Gibb is actually his stepfather his real father was killed in the same caravan as my father, but his mother remarried to Gibb of all people. I do not call him Gibb to his face, I have to call him Master Gibb, or else he will raise the price of the candles and my family can’t afford to anger Gibb. We need those candles to protect us from the dragons.
The main problem is that fools run our town.
Sometimes I wonder if the Dragons are right.
Holy moley, I wrote a lot. Sorry about that.

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited August 28, 2008).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever seen a dragon?

How badly injured was your dad?

You talk about him a lot, but what about your mom?

Have you ever kissed a boy?

Do people think your curly hair means anything about you, other than just marking you as different? Do they ascribe any personality traits to it?

How do you guys get everything you need if there's no trade? How big is your town?

When did you get Bangles? Did you train him to do any tricks?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Nope, Ive never seen a dragon, at least not yet anyway, I have a feeling that I will in the future, though.
Um, I'm not really sure about how my dad died exactly, I just know that he never got back, and if you saw the way he looked at my mother, You know that he would do anything to get back to her, So he has to be gone.
My mom is awesome, She is beautiful and strong, she is not afriad of anything, or anyone. She calls a Fool a Fool, and I want to be more like her.
No, I have never kissed a boy, is that embarassing or what. I've thought about it a lot. Mostly I think about Kissing Seamus, or the occasional guard. I think I might die of embarasment just talking about it, and My mom says if I am too scared to talk about it, Your probably not ready to actually do it.
I think people think my curly hair makes me like a cherub or an angel or something. It also marks me a Foriener, sorry, I cant really spell well. My mom says that a lot of the people in Arowyn had curly hair like my dad. I am the only one I have seen recently with curly hair. My brother Andrew's hair has a little curl, but nothing crazy like me.
Thanks for asking!
~Joi

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m very sorry to hear about your dragon troubles. They sound like the wrong sort! If I had access to your world I’d show them a thing or two. I’ve been a dragon for about 40 years, just to let you know that we aren’t all bad. What is it the dragons want, anyway? Do you know their leader’s name? (Sorry, I would just love to come on over and set things straight.)

You sound like a good girl, doing your chores and helping where asked. You seem so very young to me, but I have to remember that I was married by sixteen. Are you thinking about marrying this boy? (But then maybe among your people sixteen is too young? City folk sometimes have strange notions that way.) Don’t go worrying about your chances; if you like him, find out if he’s worth it. Courage, girl! The important questions are these: is he easy to talk to? And does he always do the right thing, no matter what? What are his prospects for providing a good home for you?

Child, you really ought to show more respect for your elders. Gibb may be a fool, but then again your Mayor probably has his reasons. It’s not easy to lead, don’t I know! Are the sheep and everything else communal property where you live? Sheep are quite valuable, you know. However, I understand that it must be frustrating to have your books taken away. Books are rare, and I never learned how to read. My granddaughter can! I bet you’d like her. What sorts of books do they write in your world?

Ida

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Sorry I missed some. its strange, i love to read and these are the first thing I have read for a while, you wouldn't think I'd skim right. Anyway sorry Anne back to your questions.
We grow everything we need within the walls. The city is like really big, and the town farm is in the center, which is circled by the homes and then the shops and the business are in the outer ring of the village. There are roads and paths around the village, and of couse going towards the center of town.
We have our own sheep, and livestock, and people either make do, or do without. We don't have everything though, would you believe I have never heard of an Orange.
My Father bought Bangles from a trader before travel became to dangerous. he was killed by dragons when I was really young, like maybe six.
I loved him alot, and I used to ride on his back Like a pony. No he didn't do any tricks except bark when danger was near, and be a great heating blanket. he was kind of a weird dog, like he would chase pieces of bark. He would slap it with his paw and make it move and then bark and dance all around it. he was afraid of goats for some reason, and our billy goat Amos would strut around like the king of our home. That was before we moved in the walls.
~Joi

shimiqua
Member # 7760

Oh hello Ida,
I am a little afraid to talk to a dragon, but you seem nice enough. Well, okay more than a little afraid really but I will try to be brave. I don't know what they want I mostly try to stay away, I will probably learn more about them when i get older and grow and all that,but for right now i am in the Dark, (or technically the light.)
Of couse i would marry him if he asked, What kind of girl do you think I am? In my town you grow up and get married and make babies. That is your duty as a living human, there are not that many of us around anymore thanks to those Stupid Dragons, Oh I am sorry Ida, i didn't mean to Insult you. It's just I think these Dragons are a different sort than you are.
Um, he is not really that easy to talk to, but he is super hot. he is you know rich and handsome. Okay now you might think I am Shallow, but please think about this. he is the only boy my age. The Only one. The next oldest is four years younger, and i am not the kind of girl that thinks that way. He is mostly Snobby and arogant. I think i might have to leave the City to find someone I Could you know Love. But I am sixteen okay you remember hormones?
I'm sorry you are probably right I should show more respect towards grownups They are probably just trying to do the best in the circumstances they are in, But it frustrates me to see Gibb collecting his pennies and stealing things just because he holds a monopoly on our safety. he is the onlyone who knows how to make candles, or lanterns, and he Holds all of the books. I hate it, he thinks he can charge whatever he wants for candles, and because that is the only way you can be safe you have to pay him. I've seen him refuse candles to a family who can't pay and then look the other way when that family is killed.
But don't you worry, i show him respt to his face, But inwardly I say Fool.
oh they have all sorts of books. Tales about adventures, and School books, and about what came before The dragons did.
I used to read the adventure ones the most. i love those lots of action, and a little bit of kissing. Reading about it doesn't make me as uncomfortable as talking or Writing about it does. I wish i had a lovey book right now, then maybe i could forget about Seamus.
~Joi

annepin
Member # 5952

Wow. The only boy your age! There must be a ton of competition for him. Or are there not that many girls your age? Are you planning to go for him or are you not going to try, seeing as your chances, according to you, are pretty slim anyway.

What are your marriage prospects? I know, I know, you said you like Seamus, but realistically, if you're supposed to get married and have kids, what happens if you can't get Seamus? Do you have to marry someone else?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

There are six girls my age, give or take the year or two. Sari Marda, Britta,Mai, Anna, and Iris. Iris is Shamus' sister and the youngest, so she technically doesn't count as compitition. When we turn sixteen, like myself, we are viewed as full grown and have the ability to get married to any we choose or who chooses us.
At eighteen, if we haven't made the choice yet, the choice is made for us by the Town Council. Who are a fool bunch of Gits if you ask me.
Seamus needs to make his choice by the oncoming spring. It is just about to turn Autumn here.
He is being slow about the choice, because we all still need to make it through the winter, the most dangerous time, and he doesn't want to choose a wife, and have her die, and then be stuck with a bunch of women who are mad at him. He is smarter than that. See woman don't get much choices until they are married, but a married woman is an equal to, well not the council nessisarily unless the woman join together, But a married woman has more say in how things go on. Especially if she has children.
But if I don't marry Seamus the council will choose for me. And since they don't exactly like me because I have on occasion called them fools. real quiet like, But they might have heard. Anyway Gibb is not likely to choose me to be his daughter in law.

There will probably be more widowers after the next two winters.

I don't much like to think about that.

maybe I will marry one of the guards who help to protect us.

Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joi! I love your name.

Your world sounds depressing. I hate fools, myself. Especially those with power.

I get why you guys don't go outside of the gates there, but has your village ever considered mounting a defense? I understand the male population is depleated, but there have been many women revolutionaries through-out time. You have an advantage by being around such a strong and intelligent woman as your mother. Don't you ever dream of not being a slave to your fears?

Do you want to make babies?

What do you and the girls your age do when you aren't drooling over boys?

Do you have pets?

If you were granted one wish, what would it be?

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

hello Reagan

I guess my world does seem kinda depressing, I guess I am venting more than I should.

I mean things are hard there, but life goes on you know. I tell stories to my brothers, Throw pranks on the council, and visit with my friends, and try to have fun.

Mounting a defense, hmm?

You obviously haven't gone up against these dragons. These dragons can take out an entire village in one night, and not leave any evidence, or any bodies.
We have tried defensive actions, but the dragons took everyone outside the walls. Everyone.

I definitly dream about being safe. Feeling safe. Mostly some one male is protecting me.

You have women revolutionaries? I don't think thats possible here. At least not now. Do they hold weapons and everything?

Way weird.

Of course I want to have babies. Humanity is the only thing that matters, and it is my duty to do my part.
but. hmm...
Do I want to have babies?
yes and no. Do I want to someday live in a world where Someone good and strong loves me and together we raise a child or two in safety. Yes that is my dream life. My secret hope.
Do I want to live here in these walls with danger every season, and death at every door. Do I want to bring an innocent life to this world. No.

Jeez Reagan your making me think.

We all keep pretty busy, We farm and make things. I watch my brothers a lot while my mother Sews. Thats what she does for a living. I make my own clothes. I have two dresses. My everyday dress is brown so it doesn't show the dust, and My feast day dress, which is blue and really pretty. My mother helped with the darts. I also help with the wash.

No I don't have any pets. The richer families in our community have Cats. But Dogs are almost extinct, at least in my area.
There are lots of animals that wander around the streets though. Goats, and peacocks mostly. they wander about and make messes, so if you come here you have to watch your feet.

if I could have one wish, it would be to see my father again.

annepin
Member # 5952

What's your most vivid memory of your father?
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Well, since my father died, I try to remember the good things about him, Like when he built me and my brother the tree house, or him kissing my mother when they thought I couldn't see. Things like that. My most vivid memory of him though happened right before he left to find the traders. He and the other members of the group went to the pub to prepare, I remember they called it. Now I loved my father, and he was an amazing man, but when he drank he changed into something awful.
I remember he came home singing really loud in the wee hours of the morning. It was really light from the lanterns, and the houses in our village are pretty close together. I saw our neighbors watch him and whisper to themselves about him, and I was mad at them for judging him. Our family only has one bedroom, and I was pretending to be asleep when he came in the house. My mother said he was acting a fool. and he hit her hard with the backside of his hand. Now this is the first, and only time I have ever seen my father hit my mother, and it really shocked me you know.
So I got out of my bed, and I shoved him as hard as I could. I told him to go, so he left in silence, tripping over his drunken feet.
The next morning he left for the caravan, and I never saw him again.

annepin
Member # 5952

So you're responsible for his leaving? How did your mom react to that at first? She obviously loved him, at least, it seems like she did, if he was kissing her a lot.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

No i am not responcible for his leaving! He was going to go anyway. The town was almost out of supplies. He had to go.

I am not responcible for his death, I'm not.

My father dieing was really hard on my mother, I don't think she has gotten over it, but me and my brothers are all she has. My father dieing brought us even closer together.
My mom is doing okay. She has started singing again. The Council thinks she should get married again, because she is still of child bearing years, but my mother said no to them.
Gibb wants to have my brother Andrew marry his daughter Iris, so my mother has some say with him.

But my mother wont remarry. At least I hope not.

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
No offense taken.

Honey, it sounds like this Seamus just isn’t right for you. Snobby and arrogant, indeed! Can he fight? Could he protect you from the dragons?

You mentioned the guards twice. Doesn’t sound like a bad plan, if you go find one with the right qualities. Is there any particular one you have in mind? How far apart is the age spread there? (Word of advice, stay away from Connor. He’ll only bring you grief.)

I take back every word I said about respecting your elders, in this case. That Gibb fellow needs to be exposed! Who else knows about the time he refused candles to a family who couldn’t pay? Why hasn’t anyone done anything about it? I can see why no one wants to risk losing their candle supply. Sounds like SOMEONE else needs to learn how to make them; what are the chances of you being that someone? What is Iris like? She could be key to stopping his monopoly.

Ida

[This message has been edited by MrsBrown (edited August 29, 2008).]

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

I think I will have to leave that to my brother Andrew, Ida Because something really weird happened last night. I can't really talk about it much here on the road, But I don't think I will be going back behind the walls ever again.
It is very different being among so many handsome men. I'm with the guard now. I met that boy you mentioned, Connor, right. I will try to take your advise. He does seem a little scary.
Dang Hot, but scary.
I will try to write more later.
~Joi

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.