Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Dresuela

Author Topic: Dresuela
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Dresuela was the name given to me by my tribe at the time of my birth but now in the twilight of my life after decades of loneliness, I am known to most in the world as "The one the Griffons mock" or "The mother of the Prince of Nothing"

My son saved the world--saved us all from the oppression from "Those Above" but only after I shunned him and myself became exiled from my people.

I have always found solace in solitude. I was wrong to impose these beliefs in my only son. His gift--his ability--changed our world forever. I only wanted to protect him.

The world I walk alone is much different now. The obsidian fleck orange sand of the searing desert which once burned my feet has now been replaced with soft grass and moss. Trees offer shade from the suns. People now sing. Children sing of me, the one the Griffons Mock.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Dresuela,
I feel like I should curtsy, but I am not sure if that is the proper obeisance. You sound like a very proper lady, so please do not be offended by my questions.

I am not sure what to ask, so lets start with the basics. Who are the Griffons and why is your son called the Prince of Nothing? Has he forgiven you for shunning him? Have you seen him since you did?

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
Greetings Dresuela,
I feel like I should curtsy, but I am not sure if that is the proper obeisance. You sound like a very proper lady, so please do not be offended by my questions.
I am not sure what to ask, so lets start with the basics. Who are the Griffons and why is your son called the Prince of Nothing? Has he forgiven you for shunning him? Have you seen him since you did?

I am not offended by your questions. I am humble in all ways. I have always been aware of my insignificance in our world and the heavens. I tried to instill this awareness in my son. I told him he must keep his powers hidden, even from our tribesmen. IF those above learned of his gift, he could end up enslaved like the Melanistics, or worse dead. The Melanistics bare the slave crowns which enable those above to control them and their extraordinary power to change the planets weather. But their bodies are mutated; little Dijin looked and developed normally. If his power wasn't strong enough to be useful to those above there was a good chance they would kill him.

Dijin, however, revealed his powers to the tribe at the ceremony of the chosen's offering. Dijin turned the boiling sulphurous geyser into cool water as the chosen dove three hundred feet from the cliff above. When the chosen one arose safely I screamed at Dijin for interupting the offering, ut the tribe was awestruck. Kenju, our leader, stepped forward and proclaimed Dijin as their prince. Afraid for my son's safety I scorned him. "You are the Prince of Nothing" I yelled over and over. Then Dijin Dove into the boiling geyser, which had now returned to it's normal state. I never Saw Dijin again. My tribe turned its back on me. I began to walk the endless desert alone.

The griffons--those enormous feathered predators of the sky have stalked me since that first day. Yet, as if being commanded they never strike. That in itself is unatural which leads me to believe that my son has forgiven me. For he is the one who released the planet from those that hindered it and oppressed us all. I have not seen Dijin since that day, but I see what he has done all around me. There are no more slave mines. Our former tribe still travels, but now they are herders and there is enough food where people can thrive.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

You talk so much about your son, but what about you? What do you dream of when you wander the deserts? What do you hope for?

What would you say if your son stood in front of you, right now?

Do you see many people when you wander? Do they know you? How do they treat you?

How do you survive? Do you hunt and fish or do you have things to trade?

Have you ever stolen food to stay alive?

What do you hope for?

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

You talk so much about your son, but what about you? What do you dream of when you wander the deserts? What do you hope for?
What would you say if your son stood in front of you, right now?
My only hope is that my son finds forgiveness for the way I treated him. If I could ever see him again I would kneel before him and weep.
Do you see many people when you wander? Do they know you? How do they treat you?

There are now villages and roads where the vast desert once stretched forever. I see travelers I see children playing. But they all know me, for three griffons circle the sky above me always. They stare and keep distant.

How do you survive? Do you hunt and fish or do you have things to trade?
I survive as I did before my son liberated the Melanistics from those above and the barren earth bloomed. I forage. Foraging is alot easier now. There is an abundance of life on the plains and in the streams. I take only what I need.

Have you ever stolen food to stay alive?

I would never take food from another's mouth

What do you hope for?

I hope for forgiveness and that my son finds peace in himself.

LAJD
Member # 8070

quote:
My only hope is that my son finds forgiveness for the way I treated him. If I could ever see him again I would kneel before him and weep.

Do you think he would? If he were in front of you and you begged for forgiveness what would he say?

quote:
I hope for forgiveness and that my son finds peace in himself.

I would think he is at peace. It sounds like the lands are peaceful and there is plenty of food. The people sound quiet. Is this a true peace? Are the Melanistics really defeated or have they just gone underground for a time. If he is not at peace, then maybe he needs you?

Also, if the reason the name "Prince of Nothing" stuck and the griffons follow you around, then you cannot really be insignificant.

Hmmm..

micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Dresuela,

You speak as one in sorrow. What is it that you regret in your life?

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.