my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Jodie

Author Topic: Jodie
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I am Jodie. I am twelve and i live with my Dad and step-mother (Claire)--who I don't like. My Dad is a genetis..geneticist. He makes wheet grow stronger and bigger, stuff like that, or at least he used to.

My dad quit his job a few months ago and we moved to this place in the country, where he set up his own lab--he say's he has had The Idea--the one that will make us rich. My step-mom is livid because he's blown his pension to pay for all the equipment. She's a lot younger than him and I think she is annoyed because she liked it when he was getting the big paycheck from GenCrops. Now she can't buy the clothes and stuff she likes--serves her right. She also complains because she can't see her friends anymore--she was always out partying without Dad. He seems relieved about that, though, and says she should spend more time with the family.

I just wish they would stop arguing, though.

I miss my friends too, and only get to chat with them on MSN. I wanted Dad to know I was on his side (when him and Claire first argued about it), so I didn't tell him I didn't want to move.

Perhaps they will get on better if Dad gets his IDEA to work--and the money floods in like he say's it will. He said he will show me The Idea very soon and I am real excited--I love biology stuff, too--But I mustn't tell anyone,not even Claire (step-mom). Dad doesn't seem to trust her completely.

You'll have to forgive my spelling and stuff. I may be a whizz at science (Dad home-tutors me) but I'm crap at English (so is he!).

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited October 08, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post 
hi jodie, im kris. i have a 12 year old daughter who is really good at science too (and also cant spell well ). she would be pretty envious that you get to study something so interesting with your father. he must be very busy now that he built his own lab and is working on the Idea. do you get to spend much time with him? has he showed you his Idea yet?

im sorry that you miss your friends, but at least you get to talk with them a little on the computer. friends are important.
does your step-mother Claire talk with her friends on the computer too? how does she treat you now that you live out in the country?

do you go to school there where you live in the country? have you made any new friends?

well i wish you all the best.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Hi Kris,

Dad tutors me and sets me work to do, mostly biology stuff. The rest I have to do using my Learning Avatar. Dad picked it up last time he went to the city, he said it would give me a more rounded education. I want to do genetics like him. He was guy who invented Ever-Wheat, did you know that?

Yeah, missing my friends sucks. I chat with them on MSN--wait I used to chat with them on MSN, now I use Virtual MSN, which is better because we can see each other in 3d. Dad had to upgrade my processor block to handle the Learning Avatar, so it isn't as bad now. Still it would be nice to see them in real-life again.

I don't know if Claire chats to her friends, 'cos she usually shuts her system down if I go near her. We don't talk to each other unless we have to. She left Dad for three months--I don't know where she went--then came back. I wish she had stayed away forever.I don't want to talk about Claire, anyway.

Does your daughter live in the country like me, miles from anywhere?

Jodie xxx

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post 
hello again jodie,
to answer your question, we live in a small rural area that is fairly close to bigger towns, so my daughter isnt isolated like you seem to be. i think she would really like the idea of being schooled by a Learning Avatar, though. do you enjoy it? i dont know much about stuff like that, could you tell me about it?
how do you feel about living in the country miles from anywhere? it sounds a little lonely.
i know you dont know me too well, but i was wondering, what happened to your real mother?
your father sounds quite impressive, and you're following in his footsteps. i bet he's really proud of you.
i wont ask anymore about claire, but do you ever talk to your father about her?
one more question for you. if you could have three wishes, what would you wish for and why? (no wishing for more wishes!)

take care,
kris

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Hi Kris,

Sorry, I took so long in replying, but I have been helping Dad out on one of his test beds. He reckons this will be the ONE. The One what? I don't know. He said if it works, I will find out--so I am pretty excited.

Yeah, the avatar is pretty cool. It develops its personality the more I use it, so I am liking it more than when I first used it. Dad said that it would 'attune to me' after a while.

It is lonely here. We go to the city about once every few months. Its a long way and fuel is too expensive. Dad says we have to be careful as most of it is used for the generators and farm equipment.

My mother died 6 years ago in a car wreck. She was hit by a drug addict. He died too. I still miss her, but I find it difficult to see her in my mind anymore. I have photos in my Terra Storage, but I don't look any more--I want to, but then I stop myself. I don't know why.

Dad knows I hate Claire. I think since she returned after dissapearing for three months he doesn't trust her, and they don't seem to talk much. She's 25 and he is 42, so there is a bit of an age difference. I think he likes her just because she is pretty.

Three wishes?

1) I wish Mom was back and Claire was gone! That isn't two wishes, it's a replacement wish--one for the other.

2) I wish the farm was in California, near my friends. I love the farm but miss my friends.

3) I wish Dad's idea works--it would make him happy, especially after CropGen stole Ever-Wheat from him.

Jodie.

micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jodie,

Sounds like you are making the best of a tough situation. Hope things get better. What do you do when you get a chance to get outside the house? Other than school, I mean? What do you like to play? I moved when I was little too, and playing soccer helped me make a lot of new friends.

Michael

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.