Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Red Raven, from Paragon

Author Topic: Red Raven, from Paragon
CaptJay76
Member # 8769

- posted      Profile for CaptJay76   Email CaptJay76         Edit/Delete Post 
(A woman is sitting in the corner, the lights in the room dim. She takes a drag on her cigar, and before she exhales the smoke, you get a glimpse of her face. She is wearing a mask over the top of her head, and her long black hair flows out from under the back of the mask onto her shoulders. You can see her pretty green right eye, but there is no hole for the left eye. Only a symbol, a red bird of some kind? From what you can see of the lower half of her face, she is quite pretty, with a knowing smirk wrapped around a cigar. A slight scar can be seen trailing down her left cheek. She is dressed all in black, with hints of scarlet here and there. She is perfectly relaxed in her chair, but you have the feeling she could be up, and at your throat in an instant....)

Hmm...You were supposed to be interviewing Kyle, not me. You're quite the curious one, aren't you? Well, I'm not much for interviews. I prefer to keep my secrets to myself. But ask away, kiddo. Just don't be surprised if you don't like all the answers you get. IF you get any...

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
What is your relationship with Kyle? And why did you insist on the cape?
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lionhunter
Member # 8766

- posted      Profile for Lionhunter   Email Lionhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by your looks,and don't take this the wrong way,you've been doing this for a while.Haven't you had trouble with the law?After all,superheroes could be considered vigilantes.What makes you so special,to do this?
Posts: 83 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaptJay76
Member # 8769

My relationship with Kyle? Hmm. Mentor, maybe? Friend, anyway. He's a good kid. He's honest, and kind, and sweet. He doesn't swear, or at least he tries not to. (She smiles, and takes a puff.) He genuinely cares about people. Not much of that in the world anymore. I'm trying to protect him, I suppose. I would hate to see this life corrupt him. Plus, he makes me laugh. I kind of wish he was my son. (She is silent for a moment.) Don't tell him I said that last part.

The cape? (Laughs) He looks handsome in it, don't you think? Plus, he's our Superman. When the world meets us, they're going to look to Kyle. He'll be an inspiration. And nothing inspires more than a good cape, fluttering in the breeze.

And, it'll look GREAT when he flies. Trust me. The kid can fly. He just hasn't figured it out yet. I'm almost dreading the day he does though. He'll be so excited, he might not come down.

How do I KNOW he can fly? I'm Red Raven, honey. I know EVERYTHING. (Winks.)

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaptJay76
Member # 8769

Are you calling me old, Lionhunter? (She smiles.) Like Indy says, its not the years, honey, its the mileage. Yeah, I've been doing this a while. Not as long as Stellar, or the Wraith, but a while anyway.

As for trouble with Johnny Law, c'mon. Seriously? Maybe if I had a doughnut tied to my belt, they could catch me. (She laughs) You know what cops do to stop a criminal? They yell, "Hey, you! Stop!" That has yet to work on me. Maybe I'll fall for it one day. But yeah, of course we're vigilantes. Technically, yeah. We're criminals. But we save lives, my man. And the few badges we do deal with, well, they see the big picture. The world isn't what you see on the nightly news, Lionhunter. It's a bigger, badder world, and it's full of bigger, badder things. Cops are great for purse snatchers and car thieves. But there's stuff going down out here that you could only DREAM of, kiddo. And then only in nightmares. You want cops to handle that stuff? The FBI? (She sniffs in disgust.) Please. You need us for what's REALLY going on. Trust me, kiddo. You WANT us doing this.

And as for what makes me special, well...I'm not like the others, if that's what you mean. I have no powers, or crazy gadgets. But I've taken down more Cowls than the rest of the team combined.

Is this smoke bothering you? Too damn bad. Next question?

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Do all of the Cowls have special powers? If so, how have you taken down so many Cowls if you have no special gadgets or powers?

And if you don't mind my asking, who gave you that scar?

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaptJay76
Member # 8769

The Cowls are losers. Yeah, most of them have some kind of unique ability, but they're inexperienced. They have no concept of how to USE their powers. A skilled fighter and tactitian can bring 'em down every time. You gotta remember, kiddo, I'm the one that teaches the CAPES to fight. Yeah, I'm that good. I went head to head with Stellar once, back in the day, when he was still full strength. I took him down.

Power means NOTHING. If you had a gun, but didn't aim properly, and forgot to take the safety off, what good is that gun? See what I mean.

I don't mind you asking, but I don't talk about the scar. Next?

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are they called Cowls?

Are you certain Stellar is still down?

And do you like the show Heroes?

So are you a precog? Can you tell me how your ability works for you. Do you have visions, dream the future, or were you born knowing everything?

Where did you get your powers? Do you know how this is going to end? What do you not know?

What is going to bring you down? Perhaps the person who gave you the scar.

Your world seems cool. YA, but still cool.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

What's your favorite kind of cigar?
CaptJay76
Member # 8769

Shimiqua, you seem to have the wrong idea about me. That's ok. Let's see if we can straighten all this out. I have NO powers. When I said I knew everything, I meant I study, I watch. I pay attention. Very little gets by me. Plus, I was being a little sarcastic.
Before I was "Red Raven", I worked for...well, an organization that monitored extranormal occurrences around the globe. They used to call the various superpowered people of the world, "Capes and Cowls." this referred to the outfits generally worn by comic book folk. So I call is good guys "Capes", and those bad guys "Cowls". Got it?
Stellar is, unfortunately, not still down. But that's ok, because he's one of us. A Cape. We only fought because he was under mind control. These things happen more often than you'd think.
Let's see. What else? Oh, who's gonna bring me down? (Laughs) who knows, kiddo. But they're gonna have the fight of their lives. And it won't be the son of a bitch that gave me this scar. I'll tell you that.
Oh, and I don't watch Heroes. I just live my life. Way more exciting!

[This message has been edited by CaptJay76 (edited September 15, 2009).]

CaptJay76
Member # 8769

Genevive, I like your style. I'm partial to Rocky Patels myself. But this that I'm smoking? This is a special blend. Just for me. And no, its not what you think, either.

[This message has been edited by CaptJay76 (edited September 15, 2009).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

If the Cowls are such 'inexperienced losers', to use your words, why are you working so hard to make the Capes stronger? Why can't the cops be trained to handle the Cowls?

You are trying to make the Capes stronger, aren't you?

CaptJay76
Member # 8769

Genevive- You're sharp. I don't want to put the cops down too much. I mean, they are trying to help people. But they just aren't equipped to handle certain types of threats. To me, to the Capes, the Cowls are losers. But they're good enough to run right over cops or feds. It's all relative, kiddo.

And yeah, we need to be stronger. We need to be ready. There's something coming, something more than just superpowered thugs knocking over a bank. The Cowls are up to something. They're working together, I think. And that NEVER happens. Guys like the Cowls just don't work well together. Too many big egos, too much selfishness. But they're up to something, I just feel it. I just can't see the pattern yet. I think it's all being coordinated. By who, for what reason? Beats me. But I'll figure it out. I always do.

genevive42
Member # 8714

There's this great pending threat and you seem to be putting a lot of faith in Kyle, who is quite young. Do you think he can handle it? How many other Capes are there? Who are they and what are some of their powers?

Where does your training come from?

CaptJay76
Member # 8769

I do have faith in Kyle, but not how you think. He's our future. His power, plus his optimism and idealism will put people at ease. He's a born leader. I can see it in him. But whatever this storm cloud is on the horizon, I hope to keep him out of it as much as possible, until he's ready. He tell you about that fight he had with Kobalt? Never should have happened. Stellar took him out in the field without my knowledge. Jackass. (she takes a drag) ah well.
There's quite a few of us, actually. Stellar was the first. He used to be incredibly powerful, he had amazing gravity powers. Flight, strength, all the big powers, y'know? Lost almost all of his power some years ago in an accident. Now he's just old and bitter. There's Liberty of course. She likes to think she's our leader, and I generally let her. (Wink) She's a telepath, and has telekinetic abilities as well. She really is a good field leader. And a dear friend, as well.
I'm sure Kyle has mentioned Desiree, aka Destiny? She's a witch, sorceress, whatever. I hate magic. Anyway, Kyle's into her. Don't know that I like that. She's a good girl, but...ah, I don't know. Something's not right.
Tek is our gadget guy. Calls himself the smartest man alive, and damned if he isn't. Builds all of our cool stuff. Teleporters, ships, everything. He's a wiseass, but he really is amazing. He's 20, and he buddied up with Kyle pretty quickly. Tek has a thing for Fastgirl. Poor sap. She'll never give him the time of day.
Ah, Fastgirl. Guess what she does? Yeah, she runs. Really, really fast. And yet, she's always late. Hmm. Never applies herself, because she's never had to. Her daddy's rich, and she's a model. Guess how much work she's had to do in her life? Look how much effort she put into her code name. Tek keeps her alive, her metabolism would have burnt her out a long time ago. That's the only reason she even stays around. Tek does everything for her, practically worships her. She barely notices him. Well, her beauty won't last forever. (she absent-mindedly touches her scarred cheek.)
Plenty of others as well. Tusk, Avatar, Flex, The Wraith, Dreadnaught. More on them later.

My training began when I was a little girl. Dad taught me to shoot, Uncle Max taught me to fight. I loved it, and kept training and practicing. Now I'm a top ranked pistol marksman, and I have a handful of black belts. Got degrees in psychology and criminology, joined the FBI. Eventually I was recruited by another organization, where I learned how the world really is. But this other organization had some goals I didn't agree with, and I left. Decided to go after the bad guys myself as Red Raven. Been fighting ever since. That's sort of the Cliffs Notes version of my life, I guess.

genevive42
Member # 8714

Wow, you've given me a lot of information. I have to admit, when I asked the question I didn't actually expect you to divulge so much. Thank you for your generosity.

With all of your training, what is your favorite weapon? Why? How many people have you killed?

CaptJay76
Member # 8769

You seem all right to me, Genevive. Besides, I haven't told you anything that's not going to be common knowledge soon enough. We aren't going to be able to hide forever.

I generally prefer to use my twin Desert eagle .50 cals. They have way too much recoil to fire one-handed, but Tek modified them with counterbalances for me. See? Nickel plated, ivory grips, Red Raven symbol inlaid? I just love 'em. Mainly for dramatic effect. I pull them both out at the same time, the bad guys mess themselves. Usually don't even have to fire.

I've had to kill six times, in self defense or defense of others. If I have the option, I won't. I shoot to disarm or wound, not kill.

CaptJay76
Member # 8769

Unfortunately, we need to go. Liberty is holding a meeting, which I'm sure will be dreadfully boring. I might ask some of the others to sit with you for a bit. We'll see.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.