Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Character Interviews » Daniel

Author Topic: Daniel
starsin
Member # 4081

- posted      Profile for starsin   Email starsin         Edit/Delete Post 
For the questioners: Presume the role of not quite interrogators in an inquisition-esque setting...picture the world a few hundred years in the future with a dictatorial theocracy in charge who view anything not normal to be aberrations which must be purged through one means or another. I figure this is as good a chance and place as any to flesh out my character some, no?

I'm not telling you religious zealots nothing. You won't get the locations of any of our villages, I won't tell you a thing about our training, how we fight the Ferals, how we make our weapons...nothing.

Give me my pistol and swords and we'll see who wins against one of your armored monstrosities with the shooting fires. Just ask the one with my throwing knife through his face - I can take you all on, even without my weapons!!

...? What?! You're going to put me into your "arena" for what you call sport? You're barbarians!

--> That should be enough fodder for the cannons, right?

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
Barbarians, I laugh. We are hardly the barbarians in this situation, Daniel.

I do suggest a bit of cooperation on your part. Let's start with some questions you have not already refused to answer.

Why do you fight us? I don't mean your little resistance movement, I mean you, Daniel. Why do you do it? What is your reason to hold so much hatred in you heart towards our way of life?

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

Bah! Resistance movement?! We're much more than just some small movement you think you can crush. We are a separate race who has managed to not just survive outside the protection of city walls, but thrive. The Ferals, in all their primitivity, are no match for us, just as you with your so called civilization are no match for us.

Why do I fight you? Ha! I should ask you why you systematically hunt down and destroy me and my kind. Why do you presume to be "better" than us? That's why I fight you. You started this fight, not me. Me and mine are simply determined to finish it.

->edits to correct some minor grammatical mistakes

[This message has been edited by starsin (edited May 31, 2011).]

Posts: 117 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I think I will join my Brother Inquisitor and ask what species are you than? Where did you come from?

Remember the only truth comes from he who comes from on High and rules us now. That is why we attack you, you refuse the Truth and won't come into the Fold.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited June 01, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

What species am I? Has the Church suppressed your education that much that you are unaware of what I am? How saddening. All Huntmasters are taught under the personal tutelage of the Elders themselves out of the records preserved since the days of what was known as "The Outbreak" to the present the history of our people...our kind. As you can see, I am physically the similar to you. Taller, faster, stronger...yes. The records show that we are the same race I suppose. Only I am part of the better species. Where did we come from? Go back to your own records and look for yourself. Let me narrow it down some for you...the wars between the once powerful entities known as "nations" roughly 400 years ago. How we came about was called "gene therapy" - an attempt to evolve mankind. That's how both us, and the Ferals came about. Do your research, you blind and ignorant fools.

History has called us many things - psychics, psionics, telepaths...we have no special name for ourselves. We simply are, much as you. Only the strongest of us can tap into that inner latent power and use it for good or ill. But you should already know this. Your so-called Patriarch is suppressing you by withholding knowledge. I speak the real Truth. Your "Fold" means nothing to us, for God does not seek blind followers who believe that to follow him one must be a certain way or worship in only one way.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

<Stands with arms crossed staring.>

You think you're so tough? It is we who have you captive. How come the "superior' ones are beaten by the ignorant ones?

But to show who has been taught well, tell us what you have been taught about the Church and how God put us in church of all his Creation, different species or not.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starsin
Member # 4081

I don't think I'm tough. I know I am. How was it I came to be your captive? Your mechanized monstrosities is how. They set me and my whole Hund Party up for an ambush. You tell me now who's better - they had all twelve of us surrounded and in the palm of their hands. Five of them are dead - four by my hand alone, and only one of me is captured. Even with all their armor, they're no more invincible than I.

How is it the superior ones are beat by the ignorant? Numbers. Simply put, you outnumber us. But to outright exterminate us would cost you dearly, so you have to revert to subterfuge and imprisonment...and even that failed 'cause out of the twelve, you got one. And I'm by no means the best of my kind.

About God you say? What is there to say? He's there, watching us. Where is there? I don't know. I just take it on Faith that He watches over me somehow and cares about me. He created Man after His own image, which leads me to conclude that we look like Him. But such a belief is heretical to your precious Church, even though your own doctrine supports it. But just like the fools of the past, you choose to overlook your own doctrine, to overlook the Truth as it really is and see only what you want to see. I have faith that He is more than just some vast, incomprehensible entity...and no amount of torture on your part will "purge" me of that so-called heresy.

And about the Church? What is there to know beyond the fact that it is a huge, bloated mass of corruption, waiting to be burst upon the stones of Reality and Truth. The power you wield was gained through evil, and kept through abominations. Anything and anyone it believes to be heretical, an aberration, or in disagreement is purged through what you claim to be God's cleansing fire. Some loving God there...bah. Watch a tree grow from a tiny nut to a massive tree, or watch the birth of a live animal...there is God's love for you. The tiny day-to-day miracles that are all around us. There is no need for strict obedience and swift punishment. You are no more holy than the freakish Ferals that I hunt down in the woods to keep me and mine safe. *spits*

OOC --> regarding the Church, one main thing I want to clarify. It's not based off of any one church out there. Here's what I have written down in my notes regarding it: "Church is an overzealous, totalitarian, theocracy whose goal is primarily the extermination of anything it defines as unholy. Unholiness is defined as abnormal - Ferals and Psionics alike. Preferred method of extermination is Burning. As a way to appease the masses, a Roman style colosseum was built in which convicted criminal fight to the death against each other,"
Again...not based off of any one church or religion currently in existence currently.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Breaking out of character but this sort of sounds like one of Heinlein's books. Not that that means you can't do it too. (double negative used on purpose).

I read one novel, can't remember by whom, that had the Church opposing the hero and company but even though at the beginning it sounded like the Catholic Church, as you got into the book it was shown that it was a made up Church. David Weber has made up some religions... one based on the Old Testament even though not Jewish and one that was made up on purpose.

Someone else used that idea too but I can't think of who right now. Well, I think one person here used that idea in a short story... may have been on critters. But someone else did too.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.