FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » EuropeCon: Paris, Sep 23 - 25 -- Can you come? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: EuropeCon: Paris, Sep 23 - 25 -- Can you come?
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
kat, you're welcome.

Arrrgh... Raia, I haven't seen the *other* thread, but I'm sorry you can't come. [Frown] Maybe some other time, as Choobak said.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, tickets are bought.

I had to change the date of that weekend. Is this okay? My brother's best friend is getting married the first weekend in October, and my brother is best man. He's going to that, so we bumped everything up one week. Is this okay with everyone? I hope so. Kama said it was okay with her. What do y'all think?

On the upside, now we can plan! What do y'all want to do? *bounce* What's something fabulously fun that Americans usually would never know to do? I need to recram some French into my brain, I think. My brother already speaks Spanish, so we'd be covered.

And now we get to say "We'll always have Paris."

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*joins the bouncing*

I have no idea what to do in Paris [Big Grin]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

The date is ok, I finish my internship on September 16th and restart my classes only on the 26th. [Smile]

As for plans, we'll have to wait for Choobak, I'm sure he knows Paris way better than I do!

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Paris is a city where at each corner of street you discover something you didn't notice before...
So i know many things of Paris, i can be the guid. [Wink]
But, i think Anna well knows Paris too.
How many are we ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

me, kat, Corwin, you and Anna. right?
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

And kat's brother, of course. (yeah, I know, I like to state the obvious... [Razz] )
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Have fun, guys.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Roger that. [Hat]
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, I'm glad it's okay with everyone.

Amira was making some interested noises in the direction of coming, but I don't think she's said definitely. Who else lives over there?

This will be great. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Are those the definite dates? I'll look into getting tickets. It might have to wait till I know my timetable though - I could possibly leave early on the Friday if I'm not teaching....
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

They are definite dates - I have bought the plane tickets, and we leave from Paris to Dallas on September 26, so we'll be there that weekend.

Oh, I hope you can come. I'd love to meet you.

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Doubt I'll make it.

A 5-6 people's Con is not enough to persuade my parents to let me out. Plus I've got school, and it's BETWEEN two holidays.

Two days doesn't justify the price, and we might be going somewhere.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Wow, this will be one truly international meeting! I really hope that you can make it, amira! [Smile]
Choobak
Member # 7083

I am happy too [Big Grin] It's great !!
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

tentatively looking at the plane dates, is it better if I arrive on Thursday and leave on Sunday, or arrive Saturday morning and leave on Tuesday?
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have an idea of where people are staying yet? Does anyone have crash-space or want to room-share? I will probably be there Friday evening to Sunday evening.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Steve and I will be leaving for Dallas on Monday morning and arriving probably Friday morning, so my vote totally goes for the Slightly More Kama option of Thursday - Sunday. Although I think it depends on what time on Sunday. The above only applys for leaving Sunday evening. Sunday morning, and it would be better to leave on Tuesday so we have all day Sunday together.
Corwin
Member # 5705

I'm quite sure I have a place to stay. Someone owes me a favor. [Big Grin] Probably can't bring other people, though...

Anyway, since I'm free from the 17th until the 26th I'll try to be there Friday morning too.

Kama
Member # 3022

option 1:
arrive Paris Beauvais Thursday 22 September 7 pm
depart Sunday 5 pm (but I'd still need to get there and stuff so we'd only have the early afternoon on Sunday)

option 2:
arrive Sat 8 a.m.
depart Tue 7 p.m.

I'm all in favour of room sharing.

katharina
Member # 827

Hmm...Kama, I think I'd still pick the Thursday - Sunday option. Steven and I can arrive late Thursday or early, early Friday morning. That will leave us all Friday and Saturday, and that might be even better since we are going to duck out of the festivities for a few hours on Sunday to go to church somewhere there in Paris, so that will hamper all-day frolicking.
Kama
Member # 3022

[Smile]

okay.

Choobak
Member # 7083

I can room somebody, or two, (with an inflatable mattress). If, I can help you...
katharina
Member # 827

Are you really offering? I could stay with you now, since my brother will be with me. That would be nice. If you're willing to have a crowded house, I'll bet I can talk my brother into sleeping on the floor maybe and Kama and I could share a mattress.

Added: Or, how much is an air mattress? It would probably be cheaper for me to buy one there, and then I could leave it with as part of a thanks. [Smile] What do you think?

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really tempted to join y'all. My work in Limerick, Ireland will be completed on Sept. 15, and my wife will be flying out to join me for a week or two of touring. She wants to see Paris, but neither of us speak French.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

I have a clic-clac (a convertible settee) for two. and i'm sure we can make some space for a mattress (i haven't got another currently, but i can take one.)
Just to say : My appartment is a 2 room of 35 m² but it's ok.

And yes, i really offer this. You're my guests, if you want.

katharina
Member # 827

That would be great, Choobak, really. [Smile] We'll plan on it, then. Yay!
Choobak
Member # 7083

Limerick !!! I'll go during my trip in the begining of august, for a stage !!
Corwin
Member # 5705

skillery, by all means, join us! [Smile]
skillery
Member # 6209

Are there any hotel accommodations in Choobak's neighborhood? Our staying nearby would simplify things when it comes to meeting y'all for excursions and dining.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

mmmh... I don't know. And i think hotel may be expensive. I must prevent you, i live at Levallois near Paris (in the other side of the périphérique who limit Paris. But i'll inform me about hotel.
skillery
Member # 6209

According to this site, which has a map of the region around Paris, Levallois is among the most desireable of Paris' neighborhoods.

I found these two hotels on the web:

Evergreen Laurel

L'hotel Boissiere "We are ideally located just 5 minutes from the metro station (line 3)"

Choobak
Member # 7083

The Evergreen hotel seems great ! hum !!
A little expensive maybe ?

And l'hôtel boissière... I must look what is it exactly. I'll go in scout wednesday, if i have the time.

amira tharani
Member # 182

Ah excellent, someone has already asked the question I was going to ask. Choobak, any more ideas of places we can stay? Is it worth just finding somewhere within easy reach of the metro even if it's far from you?
amira tharani
Member # 182

Choobak, if I were to go for this deal from lastminute.com, how near would I be to where you live? Would it work out okay?
katharina
Member # 827

*bump*

Amira might be able to come!

(As a sign that I've been in Texas slightly too long, the first thing my brain wanted to write was "Amira might could come!")

Choobak
Member # 7083

I'm back to Ireland !!!

So, it was near the gare St Lazare. It's a ggod option ; i use a train to go in Paris (gare st Lazare) frequently. there are all ten minutes (or 15 the evening) and it take around 5 minutes to go to the Clichy-Levallois station (near my building). So, It's ok, i think.

I'll answser better next sunday or monday. Now, i'll go to sleep.

amira tharani
Member # 182

I am thinking I might go for the Hotel Boissiere and book my flight separately. Choobak, when you've had some sleep, can you tell me what the hotel is like and how I should get to you from the airport?
Choobak
Member # 7083

Ahhh ! Well slept !

About the hotel boissière, i'll go this evening to see if it's ok or bad. I'll take some picture via my cellular phone. I'll send you.

For coming from airport, it's easy (for a French [Big Grin] ) you must go to the RER sation (the ligne is B for information, the cost of the trip to Paris is around 5 € if i well remember that. After that you get out at the station named "Gare du nord". And you change for the train RER E direction Haussmann - St Lazare. After that you take the Metro : Ligne 3 direction "Pont de Levallois" and get out at the station "Louise Michel".

But i think the best is i'll go for you at the airport and i'll drive you.

See ya !

Kama
Member # 3022

Ok, guys, I just bought the tickets.

I'm arriving on Thursday 22 September at 19.05 hrs in Beauvais, and leaving on Sunday at 17.00.

I'll be taking the bus from the airport to Paris, it seems, and I guess we can later arrange for someone to meet me at the bus stop, no?

[Smile]

*happy*

Choobak
Member # 7083

Yes ! It's great ! And You arrived at Paris Porte Maillot Which is not too far to Levallois. I'm sure it will be cool ! I'll try to get out sooner from work. Maybe i can take my day.

But i try to do my possible to come [Wink]

About the hotel, he was not the most recent (from his front but it seems clean. And he is near the Station "Louise Michel". (just one street) I have 2 poor picts if you want, Amira.

Kama
Member # 3022

I dont think you have to take time off. The bus won't be there before 8.30, right? If my flight lands at 7?
Choobak
Member # 7083

Oh ! Right ! We will see.
Kama
Member # 3022

[Smile]
Corwin
Member # 5705

Hmm, I wonder when I'll come to Paris, maybe I'll join you on Thursday? Choobak, do you have a cell phone? We could exchange numbers through the email addresses we use on Dag's chess site and this way it will be easier to keep in touch in Paris.
Choobak
Member # 7083

All right ! Yeah, i have one. But send me a mail : you've got my address on my profil.
Kama
Member # 3022

oh, good idea about the cell phones. I'll e-mail you too, Choobak.
Choobak
Member # 7083

fun ! very fun !

But if you call me, be cool and slow [Big Grin] .

Kama
Member # 3022

<-- always cool

[Wink]

Corwin
Member # 5705

Email sent, Choobak. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.