FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » The Nets in Ender's Game?

Author Topic: The Nets in Ender's Game?
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Ender's Game was written in 1985, or at least the full book. What I got from reading Ender's Game, about the "Nets", was that it is a lot like the internet. I didn't think the internet was around in 1985, but I really have no idea.

What is the story on this? Was the internet already around? Is my idea of what the "Nets" are completely wrong? Help!

Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was sort of around, but not as sophisticated and ubiquitous as it is now. Universities and government installations used it to share information and communications.
Posts: 13679 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dafadox
Member # 6885

- posted      Profile for dafadox   Email dafadox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it is safe to say that this is where OSC got the idea?
Posts: 31 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
History of the Internet

In it's earliest form, Arpanet, the internet was first online in 1969. (And that is perhaps the clunkiest sentence I have ever written here!)

I would say so, dafadox.

I think he addresses this in the research area (EDIT TO ADD I cannot find a link to confirm this.), but it seems to be pretty clearly the case.

[ January 04, 2005, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13679 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think his version of the internet is more advanced then ours. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.