FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » I feel stupid for asking this, but . . .

Author Topic: I feel stupid for asking this, but . . .
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a real-life counterpart for the Hatrack River? (The river, not the website.) I know what the Wobbish and the Hio and the Mizzipy are supposed to be, but there doesn't seem to be any real river called the Hatrack. So was this a re-naming of an existing river, or is the river itself fictional?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
In my secret mind I call Raccoon Creek, which skirts my home and floods the township road every few weeks, the Hatrack River. It doesn't swallow people , though, it leaves that to the driveway.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I deliberately placed it in eastern Ohio where there are many small rivers flowing south into the Ohio River, but none that fits exactly the description of Hatrack River. Madeup place, and an area that had no big towns at all - too mountainous, too hard to farm.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Youngstown, home of the second most insane Democrat in modern times (Jim Traficant), is probably the closest decent sized town. It's kind of funny that none of the modern Ohio cities exist in the series...
Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Lake Woebegone. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
There are mountains here in Ohio?
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Say, Verily, thats an awfully fangirlish screen name . . .
Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Quiet, you. [Razz]

Okay, now that I know the Hatrack is fictional, the inevitable follow-up question: What made you decide to call it the "Hatrack"? Is there a fascinating story behind that, or is it just some random word you chose for the sound instead of the meaning? Like "Dada"?

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the idea of a river that gave off tributaries in an alternating left-right pattern so it would look like a hatrack on a map. And thought it would be a fun name for a place named by American pioneers.

Yeah, Youngstown is closest on that side of the river.

Carthage City is exactly on the site of Cincinnati.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Driscoll
Member # 4488

- posted      Profile for Don Driscoll   Email Don Driscoll         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I was born in Youngstown and I never though of it as a potential Hatrack (My mom went to school with Trafficant, by the way). Maybe I know too much about the town as it exists now. I guess it's claim as a "large" city ended when the Steel industry left in the 70s. The suburbs around Youngstown (where I grew up) are very nice now, by the way. I've always thought of it as being in Kirtland, OH given the early history of the Mormon Church there.

I also agree with Sartorius - mountains in Ohio?

-Don

Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RedHddBoy
Member # 7561

- posted      Profile for RedHddBoy   Email RedHddBoy         Edit/Delete Post 
My father-in-law owns a farm in Eastern Ohio, southeast of Zanesville. I rather imagine it to be alot like the English countryside. It really couldn't be described as 'mountainous'. But the hilly, dirt roads are enough to stir up some motion sickness. There are tons of streams and hills and smaller sized farms tucked into quaint little valleys. OSC paints a perfect picture of the area. Though I prefer my Boston-area home.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for Youngstown! (I have to cheer. I go to Youngstown State!)

[The Wave]

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I deliberately placed it in eastern Ohio where there are many small rivers flowing south into the Ohio River, but none that fits exactly the description of Hatrack River. Madeup place, and an area that had no big towns at all - too mountainous, too hard to farm
Heehee! I knew it! I live here, right on Hatrack River.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.