FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good people going to hell? All theistic perspectives appreciated (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good people going to hell? All theistic perspectives appreciated
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get that email with the theological question I sent you? I sent it to your hotmail address. I haven't seen you post since early in the week.

I'm guessing you've been swamped and I understand. If you would rather refer me to a good book on the topic rather than write a reply yourself I understand.

Thanks,

AJ

[ November 13, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, good timing! [Big Grin]

I've been in California, but I just got home (mostly). I'm in MN. I got your e-mail, and I'll answer it when I really get home. (Tomorrow after church.)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

wow, you have been gallivanting more! did you get any rest relaxation and/or reading done out there?

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

take your time replying, don't rush if you've got other things to do!

AJ

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday mass??? What kind of outfit do you run there?

Hey, by the way, is this theological question one that may be shared?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Dang, is today Friday? I am so messed up. *Checks PDA* Okay, I will get home home tomorrow night. I will answer Banna's e-mail the following afternoon, which is to say, Sunday after church.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am so messed up.
Dana, we love you dearly. Please don't leave us openings like that. It isn't fair. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I found the question in my e-mail archives. It might be of interest to other people too, so I am posting it. Please understand that it is a personal question and not one that I want to go on for pages debating. I would be interested in hearing others positions on the subject but in a non-confrontational, "just sharing what I think" method rather than a debate. If the discussion does become contentious I will delete this thread.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

quote:
Hi dkw,

My good friend B and I have been talking, and we were wondering what the more liberal Christian traditions have to say on the subject of good people going to Hell. I know the Catholics have Purgatory which takes care of most of those problems and the LDS seem to have the problem taken care of but in slightly different manner. But, what about good people who of some non-christian religion, say Hindusim, or those who have a specific hang-ups with a bit of theology or the whole thing for that matter.

For two concrete examples, I give you my Great Aunt Ruth, who was Mormon for a bit. She has a specific logical problem with the acceptance of the Trinity. She is OK with Christ being the son of God, and better than an ordinary person but not with him being God. At the same time I think she has sincerely wrestled with it and given it more thought than my mother ever has about her blind cookie cutter faith.

For a second example I give you B's co-workers in academic discipline of Planetary science. Some of which, while being good people in pursuit of truth and Truth, are athiests even though they do not actively discourage faith or have problems with people who do believe in a Creator.

I don't know if this actually falls into Atonement theory or not, but you are the only expert I really know to ask.

AJ

Note: I edited a few things for clarity for the Hatrack audience and changed my friend's name out of respect for her.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I have concluded that God can save whomever God wants to save. And that it is not our business to speculate.

There's scriptural support for this position, but there's also support for the position that says that acknowledging Jesus as God and savior is the only way to God.

Well, I figure God is therefore unfathomable to us, since Scripture says both things and they can't be sliced and diced to arrive at a scripture-based resolution. So, I'll use my own mind and figure that if scriptural conclusions appear contradictory it could either be because there's a flaw in the text or because I lack complete understanding. I may suspect #1 to be true, but I KNOW #2 is true.

So, if I lack complete understanding, it stands to reason that on the all-important questions like "who is damned and who isn't," I'm not the best judge. And therefore I shouldn't go around telling people that they are damned if they don't adhere to what I read in the Bible.

At the very least, it's not my business whether they are damned or not according to my reading of scripture. Or at least not my job to go pester them about it.

I might point to something in scripture and leave it at that, but I'm pretty certain I'm not supposed to go around listing the criteria for people -- the criteria for entrance into Heaven as I read them.

So, that leads me to the final part of the argument...which is, basically, God will save whoever God wants to save, using whatever criteria God chooses.

Or...the whole thing is a complete farce and a fabrication, IMHO.

Now, I had a very similar discussion with dkw and her answer is much more logical and supportable than mine, so I look forward to what she has to say here.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think God is a god of compassion and mercy, yeah? So, I'm trusting God to take care of us (all-inclusive "us").

I have my issues with the Bible, nothing really well-thought out, but I'd say that my faith is Judeo-Christian in foundation. I tried paganism and whatnot, but I keep coming back to the whole Christ thing. The Trinity's kind of a hard concept for me to wrap my head around, but I'm willing to hear arguments from both sides. The only problem is, if it's biblically based, I'm going to have a hard time believing it.

But I know God's out there, and also right here. It's just one of those things with me. Usually, I am very skeptical about stuff, but this thing I know.

*shrug*

I also believe that everyone's going to be taken care of, every faith (or none at all). And if people don't agree with me, I'm okay with that, too.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roland
Member # 5370

- posted      Profile for Roland           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't you ever heard the song?

Sheep go to Heaven, Goats go to Hell. not good people.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

awesome responses, I'm kind of in the boat where I let God figure it out in the wash. But I would like a more defensible theological position than that!

And having been raised in extreme conservative Christendom where everyone but "us" whoever the "us" is, is going to hell doesn't sit well with me. This is why I want to know the more liberal Christian theologians have to say.

AJ

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Bob, which may or may not cause the world to come to an end.

I also have a slightly different theory about Hell than most other Christians, that I'd sort of like to hear people's opinions on. I don't thik that Hell is this place of eternal torment and all. The only place I can really see that idea being supported is in the parable with Lazarus, in which pretty much everything is overblown for effect, so I doubt it's an accurate portrayal. It might be supported more in Revelations, but I'm sort of with Martin Luther on revelations, I'm not really sure it's divinely inspired (I think that was Martin Luther). On the otherhand, heaven is usually refered to as "eternal life" which would just be silly if the people in hell were in torment, but alive nevertheless. However, a lot of the time unsaved people are refered to as "burning like chaff." So I think our souls sort of burn up, and then die. I think I heard someone in my church refer to this as the belief in a "Gehenna of fire" in a derogatory manner. So yea, basically I don't see Hell as being as horrible as other people, which means I can understand how good people might not be saved.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Blacwolve, you may be thinking about James, which Luther dismissed as an "epistle of straw".
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking of Revelation, I just probably have my Reformation thinker wrong. I'll ask at church tonight and find out.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Nope, you were right. Early in his life Luther was not a fan of Revelation. He said (paraphrased) that he could not find Christ in it or taught by it at all.

He changed his mind to an extent later in his ministry, (1530ish) as he came to see Revelation as a message of hope for those who suffered for their faith.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be damned. It's Sunday after church. o_O
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

mac: [Razz]

Banna: There are dozens, if not hundreds, of theories/doctrines/opinions about salvation outside of formal Christianity. I’ll try to shoot for an overview of the general categories. For a good read on the various Christian theologies, evangelical and liberal, relating to other religions, I recommend Paul Knitter’s book Introducing Theologies of Religions.

Actually, for all that Bob didn’t use formal theological language, he summed up one liberal Christian perspective pretty well: we don’t know for sure and it’s not really any of our business anyway. Critics of liberal theology have complained (with some justification) that it tends to shy away from the topic of hell. Supporters have returned (also with some justification) that it seems that some evangelicals can’t imagine themselves happy in heaven unless they are assured that someone else is burning in hell. In fact, Madeleine L’Engle tells a story about a statement of faith she was once asked to sign in order to lecture at a Christian college. One of the articles was that “the joy of heaven is increased by observing the torments of the damned in hell.” She refused to sign it (Go Madeleine!) but they let her give the lecture anyway.

There are some Christians who don’t believe in a literal hell at all. They believe that both hell and heaven are on earth and that salvation is realized in this life, not in life after death. That’s one extreme.

Some, of course, believe in an actual hell with fire and brimstone and that everyone who’s not a Christian will end up there, but I got the feeling you were asking for other beliefs. Everyone’s already familiar with that one, neh?

One of the more well known theories is the “anonymous Christian” theory, so named by Catholic theologian Karl Rahner. It’s similar to what C.S. Lewis popularized in The Last Battle. The “infidel” worshipped the god he had been raised to believe in, but ascribed to that god love, honor, justice, etc., all of which are properly attributes of “Aslan” (Christ), therefore Aslan accepted the service/worship as done to himself. The idea behind this is that good, faithful members of other religions are really Christians, they just don’t know it yet. Since Lewis’s time there’s been a lot more interfaith dialogue and many Christian theologians have come to realize how completely offensive many members of other religions find this idea. It’s thus fallen out of favor as a way to increase interfaith dialogue, although it’s still the position held by many people.

Another set of theories holds that Christ is a path to union with God, one that we know is a true path, but there might be others. One of my friends calls this the “Jesus portage” theory. (She likes wilderness canoeing.) She says that it’s like everyone is trying to get to the divine. There’s something blocking the stream, and we need to portage. Christian evangelism is like saying, “hey, I know this great portage. It’s the way I got through, and I know it will work for you as well.” We see other people going down other paths, and they might be portages too, but we know that this one is.

Some Christians believe what blacwolve posted – that those who are “saved” have eternal life and everyone else ceases to exist.

Others believe that hell is separation from God – that there is no torture or flames, but only the absence of that joy which is being in constant communion with the divine.

Then there’s the folks who take Matthew 25 (the sheep and the goats) as their main text, and point out that the criteria are based on actions (feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and those in prison) and that neither group knew that that what they were doing was for/to Jesus. That would lead to the theory that good people are saved based on the goodness of their actions, not in whose name they do them.

I realize this is bouncing all over, but I wanted to give an idea of the variety of theologies that are out there. If you want me to be more specific about any of them in particular, let me know.

[ November 09, 2003, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I'm going to send this link to my friend who I mentioned before. I want to chew on it for a while before I ask for clarification on any points.

Thanks for the overview though dkw!

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

What about the CS Lewis theory in the Great Divorce, where he postulates that everyone in Hell is actually happier (sort of) there than they would be in heaven?

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

And, which theory in the overview, do you specifically hold to, dkw?

AJ

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I should point out that my summary neglected to mention one rather negative aspect of the viewpoint. That is that evangelizing others is at best a waste of time and at worst a waste of time and a royal annoyance and disservice to our fellow man, if not also to God.

Now, that's a viewpoint that IS directly contradicted in scripture. EXCEPT (and this is a big one) that I think we're told that the best way to "spread the word" is to live well and be an example. In other words, the stuff about "don't hide your light under a bushel" doesn't necessarily translate to "shine your light in other people's faces when they're just trying to see for themselves what the heck is out there."

I have to say that I'm fairly "invested" in this point of view in that:
1) I don't believe in evangelizing unless someone invites me specifically to do so for THEMSELF.
2)I do believe in trying to live up to an example and giving credit to God when that credit is due. That doesn't mean that I give prayers of thanks when the lightswitch works (I know people who literally do this). But if someone were to ask me what allows me to do a certain thing, and I believe that it comes from God, I say so. If I don't believe it comes from God, I don't lie about it. And I don't ascribe EVERYTHING to God.

So...in the interest of full disclosure, I have to say that there are some downsides to at least the belief I outlined. There are probably downsides to all of the ones you can mention or think of, or that dkw mentioned.

Certainly being cheered by the thought of others' suffering seems to have an obvious negative aspect to it. And it seems to run fairly strongly counter to scripture as I understand it, though I'm sure someone has come up with a scriptural basis for it.

I'm not really familiar enough with the others to comment, but I'm guessing that by carrying most any of them to a logical conclusion one is likely to put oneself outside of mainstream Christian thinking. Or at least into a realm where one is guessing about God's real intentions rather than having any real basis for accepting a doctrine as TRUE.

For example, the idea that pagans who worship the concept of LOVE or TRUTH could get credit for it runs counter to a lot of scripture (as does my own stated belief on the subject). What it does is say that God values the concept more than the direct personal worship of HIM, which I find appealing, but a stretch. I'd rather say "I don't know" and figure God knows best on this score.

As a philosophy, this one kind of re-opens the door to evangelism and that's what makes me suspect it. What is says is that the unkowing won't be blamed, but those of us who HAVE heard the word had better head it. That's a thought I first heard in Catholic school and it sort of explained how the patriarchs could be in Heaven even if they didn't KNOW Christ.

(NOTE: On that score, the Baptists typically believe that the Patriarchs, though Jewish, were worshiping Christ all along and just didn't necessarily know it. This is one of those things that truly offends Jews when it comes up in conversations with evangelical Christians. Maybe that's a specific example of what dkw was talking about in general terms. Right?

Hell being equal to the separation from God is an interesting one to me. I've also heard that as a description of "sin." That sin acts to separate us from God and thus, in this view, it'd be like Hell on Earth. I've thought it was a pretty good description of sin in that sin is mostly acts of defiance or will, and thus they do tend to get us away from the feeling of connecting with God. And the more you do it, the harder it is to reconnect. Right? So this one has appeal in that it matches with practical experience. But it seems kind of vague on the details. Do sinners also live forever and just go somewhere else, or have to live forever with the knowledge that they were WRONG -- that there IS a God and he rejected them? Seems kind of weird. Like where do they go? If they weren't really BAD, but just missed the cut? Catholicism came up with Purgatory to cover this. I think it's just a wild-ass-guess and not supported by scripture (but then my knowledge of scripture is encyclopedic only in the sense that I'm missing a few volumes and what is there is covered in small, poorly-written articles that don't explain things very well.)

[Razz]

[Blushing]

As for the divorce theory, I'd really like to hear the scriptural justification for that!!! That the people in Hell are really going to be happiest there. So basically God gave them what they wanted and they're cool with it. Hell has better parties and you can divorce your spouse and not have to keep the robes nearly as white. And your radio gets something besides harp music 24/7/eternity!

Heck...I don't know. I hope to know when I die. And I hope I get to go someplace good. I'd really like a garden apartment with a nice view downtown and easy access to mass transit. Is that too much to ask? How do I earn that?

And do I need exact change?

BannaOj
Member # 3206

and to make it more complicated I'm trying to figure out how this ties in with free-will vs. predestination too.

((Bob Scopatz)) I love your balance of gravity with levity in this thread. I don't think God wants us to take ourselves too seriously either.

AJ

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to subscribe to Lewis' theory as others have stated, and hope this to be the truth but am not sure. And I definitely agree with Bob about evangelism.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Why?
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
Er, Bob...that's not exactly how it is in Lewis' book. The people in Hell aren't happy with being there. They realize that it is what they chose in life; I suppose the best one could say is that they are resigned.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

What I recollected(though now I'm going to have to go back and read it since it has been a while) is that even though they still had a chance they didn't want to give up certain choices, even if those choices made it possible to go to heaven. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong or mixing two author's stories together.

AJ

dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
I'm not really familiar enough with the others to comment, but I'm guessing that by carrying most any of them to a logical conclusion one is likely to put oneself outside of mainstream Christian thinking.
Yes and no. Part of it depends on how you define “mainstream Christian thinking.” All of the positions I listed are held by at least some theologians connected to mainstream Christian denominations. (UMC, UCC, PUSA, ELCA, etc.)

But in fact, almost ANY belief carried to it’s logical extreme is likely to put you outside of mainstream Christian thinking. One of my favorite systematic theology texts approaches the subject by identifying each doctrine/belief statement as balanced between two opposing disbeliefs. If you go too far in either direction you’re into heresy, but as long as you stake yourself somewhere in the middle there’s some room to walk around. (One of the classic examples of this is the statement “Jesus saves” as related to the question of the goodness of humanity. In order to affirm that Jesus saves you cannot believe either that humanity is not in need of salvation/able to save itself OR that humanity is unsalvageable. Too far in either direction, and you’re off the chart.)

Banna, I don’t think I can do justice to this and fit it in a post. But I’ll give you a few of the points on which I hang my hat. First, I don’t believe that Hell is a physical place with flames and instruments of torture. I’m much closer to the Hell is separation from God position. Heaven, then, is perfect communion with God. Neither of these is solely restricted to the afterlife, both can be experienced, to some extent, in this world. I don’t believe, therefore, that Salvation is primarily concerned with what happens after you die. That said, I don’t believe that death is the end of existence, OR that God’s love and covenant with humanity is limited by death. (Or by life, angels, rulers, things present, things to come, etc. [Wink] )

I do believe that perfect communion with God is only achievable through Christ. Remember though that I am a classic, Trinitarian Christian – I believe that Christ is the incarnate word of God. Therefore, I’m not convinced that it’s necessary to reference the historical person, Jesus of Nazareth, in order to be talking about the second person of the trinity. (However, I do believe that the historical person, Jesus of Nazareth, was the incarnation (en-fleshment) of God, and that this is the only time such a thing has happened in the history of the universe. And by universe I mean all that is, was, and ever will be. “Parallel universes” and all other scientific/science fiction possibilities included. (Not that I’m saying God couldn’t choose to become incarnate again, just that I don’t believe it has happened, but that once.)) Err…where was I? Oh yeah, other religions. Ultimately, I believe that God will save whom God will save, and that God wills to save everybody. So no, I don’t think anyone is damned for not getting their theological ducks in the right order. I believe that your great-aunt who can’t accept the idea of the trinity is wrong, but I don’t think she’s going to hell because of it.

(Aside to Banna: remind me to give you my “macaroni & cheese = eternal life” sermon someday.)

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, you lost me here:

quote:
I believe that Christ is the incarnate word of God. Therefore, I’m not convinced that it’s necessary to reference the historical person, Jesus of Nazareth, in order to be talking about the second person of the trinity.
Could you clarify?
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

considering mac N cheese is my favorite comfort food in the entire world I'm sure I'll like it.

A side question from my friend. What denominations are ok with God using evolution as a mechanism for creation and which ones are 7 day literalists?

I can tell the break in the Lutherans is between the ELCA and the Missouri Synod, but what about Presbyterians (of which there are a bunch) or Methodists?

AJ

Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Christy, I'll do my best to explain, as a layperson (and a lapsed UCC member). The Trinity, as a concept, is generally thought of as eternal. So while Christ, as embodied as Jesus of Nazareth, lived for about 33 years about 2000 years ago, the entity that is _Christ_, one of the 3 aspects (and here I am going to offend someone, because what exactly the trinity is, is complex, and beyond my theological vocabulary, and is still somewhat debated) of the trinity existed then, exists now, and will always exist. He is eternally relevant.

Banna, as far as the UCC is concerned, evolution as a divinely-inspired mechanism (aka "intelligent design"), would be well within the boundaries of the denomination.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Hmm...does it really matter whether Jesus was incarnated in more than one place? I mean, why not once per solar system? Or even multiple times per planet? Or continuously? (Jesus and the Dalai Lama could wear each others' hand-me-downs...)

I've never understood why this is important to any particular belief system. It must have implications that I'm just not understanding.

dkw
Member # 3264

Christy, Bok hit it dead on. Christ, as a part of the Trinity, is co-eternal with God the Creator. To use the 4th century anti-Arian language, “There never was when he was not.” That, for me, opens the possibility that God-in-Christ has worked/is working among people who are unfamiliar with the person God became when choosing to physically enter human history. So the question is, when Jesus said, “no one comes to the Father but through me,” did he mean “me” the first century Jewish man/incarnation of God, or did he mean “me” the eternal Word/Wisdom of God. And are the two even separable? I’ve got no answer there, but I’m open to the possibilities.

Banna, the problem with knowing which denominations are okay with evolution is that those that are generally don’t have an official statement on it, which means that some members and clergy within the denomination won’t be. That said, I doubt you’ll find too high a percentage of 7-day literalists in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, Presbyterian Church USA, United Methodist Church, Episcopal Church USA, or United Church of Christ. You will find some, however. The advantage, though, is that in none of those churches are you required to agree with the pastor’s interpretation of things in order to join the church. So unless the pastor is really obnoxious about it in the sermons your friend should be fine. For reference, here is the UMC statement on Science and Technology:
quote:
We recognize science as a legitimate interpretation of God’s natural world. We affirm the validity of the claims of science in describing the natural world, although we preclude science from making authoritative claims about theological issues. We recognize technology as a legitimate use of God’s natural world when such use enhances human life and enables all of God’s children to develop their God-given creative potential without violating our ethical convictions about the relationship of humanity to the natural world.

In acknowledging the important roles of science and technology, however, we also believe that theological understandings of human experience are crucial to a full understanding of the place of humanity in the universe. Science and theology are complementary rather than mutually incompatible. We therefore encourage dialogue between the scientific and theological communities and seek the kind of participation that will enable humanity to sustain life on earth and, by God’s grace, increase the quality of our common lives together.

[from The Social Principles of the United Methodist Church]

Bob, it’s not that there would be anything wrong with Jesus being incarnated more than once. It’s more about the fact that no other religion makes that particular claim about their founder/religious figure. So to try to equate Jesus with Mohamed or the Dalai Lama, or whoever ignores the fact that the claims the different religions make are different. Plus the fact that one of the central claims of Christianity is that the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, though taking place in a particular place and time, are salvific for every place and time. It isn’t necessary to have a new incarnation every so often, it’s been done for everywhere and everywhen. If there had to be separate [separate but equal??] incarnations for every solar system, or planet, or nation, or time period, that would leave open the question of whether some people were left out. This way the answer’s easy: everyone’s included.

[ November 10, 2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: dkw ]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

My friend is reading this thread so I'll let her know of this latest post. She particularly liked this quote from Bob
quote:
Now, that's a viewpoint that IS directly contradicted in scripture. EXCEPT (and this is a big one) that I think we're told that the best way to "spread the word" is to live well and be an example. In other words, the stuff about "don't hide your light under a bushel" doesn't necessarily translate to "shine your light in other people's faces when they're just trying to see for themselves what the heck is out there."
Maybe I'll even snare her into posting here, if just on this thread <grin>

AJ

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

dkw, thanks! That makes sense. It's salviferrific!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

All right, in this spiritual/theological quest we are on my friend got this response from one of her Jewish co-workers. I would be interested to know of any other common Jewish perspectives on this. I know there are a lot of little sub-sects in Judaism even as there are in Christianity.
quote:
Q: Does the Jewish religion believe in heaven and hell, and how do they decide who is going to each?

A: well, there's a famous jewish saying that if you ask 3 jews a question you'll get 4 answers. given that, i've been taught and tend to believe
that there is a heaven and hell. (practically) everybody goes to hell and basically serves a sentence of varying lengths to atone. every sabbath, however, everybody gets to spend in heaven. that way the people in hell have some hope and the strength to continue. after the sentence is served, you go to heaven unless you're truly irredeemably wicked. in fact, it's considered that the longest sentences are a year-- beyond that and you're there forever. that's why you're not supposed to mourn longer than 11 months-- either the person you're mourning for is already in heaven or there's an implication that they're irredeemably wicked. i don't know what exactly the tortures of hell are like-- i haven't really looked into it. it may simply be a c. s. lewis-esque cutting off of God'spresence. non-jews go through the same process-- they don't have to follow the laws the jews do because they're not jewish (the whole chosen people thing). heaven is not reserved for jews.

having said that, the afterlife is not a real big driver in jewish theology. the status of the community is really considered more important. so the whole heaven/hell thing isn't nearly as well-developed as in christian theology.

that was probably more than you asked for. [Wink]

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I was personally surprised at the parallels between this concept and Catholic Purgatory.
The churches we were raised in, seemed to often claim they actually knew what Jewish thought was on a particular topic. But I don't know that they ever asked modern day Jews!

My friend's comments are parallel to mine. Here are some excerpts.

quote:
I have decided that this is quite prevalent in all of the churches we grew
up in -- not with respect to Jews in particular, but with everyone! They were always telling us what the "world" believed, how it acted, and why it did the things it did. It seems to me, now that I KNOW many people who exist outside the church, that the church was completely wrong on many counts.

Also of interest is that when I mentioned this to my mother, she said that she also knows a lot of people outside the church (from work) and she thinks the church is right about them! So I don't know if the difference is grad students vs. nurses, or whether my mom and I just see things differently.

Also of interest (to support my position) when Pastor Q was teaching that anti-science class, he started explaining how non-Christians rely on evolution because it allows them to explain the world without God, and that's why they cling to it so desperately, because if evolution was
wrong, then they would need to face the fact that God exists. I asked him how many non-Christians he knows who hold this opinion, and he said (quite
defensively) "Well, none, but I know that's why they believe it." ARG. Don't tell me what other people believe when you haven't even talked to them about it!

The thing he seemed to fail to understand is that science is not a religion. It is a way of thinking and finding out how our natural world
works. If evolution is at some point proven to be wrong, all scientists are NOT going to throw up their hands and wail, "Alas, I am now confronted with the existence of God." Rather they are going to look at the new data they've got and try to find a new explanation for how it fits together. Some of us see God in the explanation, and some don't, but no real
scientist (except, perhaps, for the occasional crank) thinks that science can reveal anything about God one way or the other.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

nana...

Your friend makes good sense to me.

I really like that 12 months and Sabbaths in heaven idea. Never heard that one before.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Bob, I like her too. [Big Grin] We have been raised together since babyhood. For a while in adolescence we were actually afraid to talk to each other about the issues we were having with our upbringing for fear there would be repercussions in the parental generation. Then several years later after we both left home, we realized that we had come to the same conclusions on a lot of things independently. This actually gave the ideas more validity than if just one person had come up with them. Now we are kind of researching faith together again. I'm enjoying the journey.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

bump so maybe rivka or Mrs. M will see it.

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, I had been reading this thread with great interest, but hadn't felt that I had anything to add. Christian theology is not one of my fortes. [Smile]

AJ, I don't disagree with what she said, overall. Mostly some details/semantic quibbles.

Because, after all, this is absolutely true:
quote:
if you ask 3 jews a question you'll get 4 answers
[Big Grin]

First of all, Jews don't believe in "hell" -- but that's really a semantic issue. Keep in mind that only fairly recently in the 3500+ years Jews have been arguing about this has the discussion been in English. Many concepts don't translate well. [Dont Know] (Some use the word "hell," some "purgatory" -- some use both interchangeably.)

I would say that your comparison to Purgatory is a good one -- it's a lot closer to the Jewish concept of Gehennom (aka Gehenna). OTOH, some tiny fraction of people are irredeemably evil, and they suffer eternally. Jewish theology is not terribly concerned with the details of that torment.

From here:
quote:
When a person dies and goes to heaven, the judgment is not arbitrary and externally imposed. Rather, the soul is shown two videotapes. The first video is called "This is Your Life!" Every decision and every thought, all the good deeds, and the embarrassing things a person did in private is all replayed without any embellishments. It's fully bared for all to see. That's why the next world is called Olam HaEmet - "the World of Truth," because there we clearly recognize our personal strengths and shortcomings, and the true purpose of life. In short, Hell is not the Devil with a pitchfork stoking the fires.

The second video depicts how a person's life "could have been..." if the right choices had been made, if the opportunities were seized, if the potential was actualized. This video - the pain of squandered potential - is much more difficult to bear. But at the same time it purifies the soul as well. The pain creates regret which removes the barriers and enables the soul to completely connect to God.

Not all souls merit Gehennom. It is for people who have done good but need to be purified. A handful of people are too evil for Gehennom, and they are punished eternally.

In this world, many things are hidden. Even our own memories and self-evaluations are incomplete and blurry. But the next world is the World of Truth -- and truth can be a terribly painful thing. No more rationalizations, no more dodges. (Actually, this is one of many reasons given for developing the skill of judging others favorably. For you will be your own judge in the World to Come. You will not, at first, realize you are judging yourself. Someone who has made it a deeply ingrained habit to see the good in the actions of others will see himself that way too, after 120.)

From the same place:
quote:
Heaven is where the soul experiences the greatest possible pleasure - the feeling of closeness to God. Of course not all souls experience that to the same degree. It's like going to a symphony concert. Some tickets are front-row center; others are back in the bleachers. Where your seat is located is based on the merit of your good deeds - e.g. giving charity, caring for others, prayer.

A second factor in heaven is your understanding of the environment. Just like at the concert, a person can have great seats but no appreciation of what's going on. If a person spends their lifetime elevating the soul and becoming sensitive to spiritual realities (through Torah study), then that will translate into unimaginable pleasure in heaven. On the other hand, if life was all about pizza and football, well, that can get pretty boring for eternity.

The existence of the afterlife is not stated explicitly in the Torah itself, because as human beings we have to focus on our task in this world. Though awareness of an eternal reward can also be an effective motivator.

The twelve month maximum is based on a Midrash:
quote:
Chizkiyah said: There are 12 months of judgment for the wicked in purgatory (Gehenom). Six months are suffered in heat, and the other six months in cold. God first places them in the heat, and then puts them in the snow.

The Torah commentator Aitz Yosef (19th century Bialystok) explains that there are two distinct places of purgatory. "Gehenom of Fire" is a punishment for all sins that were done with passion and energy against God. "Gehenom of Snow" is designed for all sins that are due to laziness and lack of energy. In addition, the punishment of snow is given for all good actions done without zeal and excitement.

Although it is absolutely true that Jews believe that this world is important, and separating from it is discouraged (rather we believe in moderation, and appropriate contexts)
quote:
Our Sages say that if we took all of our life's pleasures, every one of them, and all the pleasures of everyone in this world, and brought them all together, the total wouldn't be worth even one second in the World to Come, the pleasure of being close to God.
More on Gehennom
quote:
Hell is a place God created to help us take care of the mistakes we didn't correct in this world. It is called Gehenom. But don't be afraid. It's not a place of devils and pitchforks, and it's not forever. If it is God's judgment that a person has to enter Gehenom, the maximum amount of time spent there would be one Jewish year. A person can be there a split second, an entire Jewish year, or somewhere in between. That is the reason that we say Kaddish, the mourner's prayer, for 11 months. We assume that our loved ones would never be there an entire year. Ideally, we want to by-pass it all together.

I've also heard the "Sabbaths off." [Smile]
quote:
A few extra paragraphs are recited after the evening service at the conclusion of Shabbos. This is done to extend the Shabbos into the weekday. According to the Midrash, the souls that have been condemned to hell, are granted a reprieve on the Shabbos. They do not return to hell until after the Jews have completed the evening prayers after Shabbos. By lengthening the prayers, we extend their resting time. It is proper to have a meal after Shabbos to honor the Shabbos when it leaves. This meal, which should preferably include bread, is called "Melava Malka", or "Escorting of the (Shabbos) Queen."

She's also quite right that we believe that "heaven is not reserved for jews."
quote:
. . . as [scripture] says (Isaiah 60:21), "And your nations are all righteous, they shall always inherit the land." Similarly, the righteous of the gentile nations have a portion in the world to come.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the other hand, if life was all about pizza and football, well, that can get pretty boring for eternity.
I take strong exception to this statement.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Thank you rivka. How orthodox or liberal is this view in Judaism? Realizing that there are always raging controversies, where does it fall on the bell curve of extreme opinions in your faith?

a side question. How does this tie in to a Gentile being declared a "Righteous person" by a council of Rabbis (I think in Jerusalem) The only example I can think of is Oskar Schindler, but I know there are others. Does this just mean that that person was only in Gahenna (sp?) for an instant?

Or <tounge planted firmly in cheek> is the real miracle that all of the Rabbis managed to agree that someone was righteous at all?

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, Ic, look heaven-ward, and file your complaint. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Do we have any Muslims on the board that could give their perspective too?

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm Orthodox, AJ, and to the best of my knowledge, all my citations come from Orthodox sources.

quote:
How does this tie in to a Gentile being declared a "Righteous person" by a council of Rabbis (I think in Jerusalem) The only example I can think of is Oskar Schindler, but I know there are others. Does this just mean that that person was only in Gahenna (sp?) for an instant?

As far as I know, this is more by way of showing our gratitude for the many lives Schindler saved (and many others -- there is an orchard at Yad Vashem (the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem), with a tree planted for each known gentile who saved Jewish lives during the Holocaust). It's not a religious "pardon" or something like that -- we don't do that. Actually, I don't know who is on the commission that decides. Likely only some are rabbis. [Dont Know]

[ November 12, 2003, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Pook (whose B.A. is in Arabic) says Gehenom is also an Islamic concept, and that in heaven the men get to have 72 wives. (Which means the women will have much more peace and relaxation.) If I'm recalling correctly, the wives are not dead earthlings, but angel-like beings. He's pretty sure that unbelievers don't go to heaven.

Commentators will sometimes refer to the physical enjoyments of heaven as proof that those seeking to die in Jihad are actually selfish. This reveals the Manichean (body bad, spirit good) bias in our culture.

He feels an important aspect of Islam is the physicality of the human being, meaning there is not a solely spiritual plane. The works of this life are very important. So a scenario where "other than being an atheist, they were a good person" may not impress upon them so much.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Fascinating. I had a Hindu friend read this and she took slight exception to this statement from Bob_S.
quote:
In other words, the stuff about "don't hide your light under a bushel" doesn't necessarily translate to "shine your light in other people's faces when they're just trying to see for themselves what the heck is out there."
She felt that it was unconcsiously condescending, an attitude she often sees having grown up as an Hindu in the Bible belt. Her preferred quote would have been
quote:
In other words, the stuff about "don't hide your light under a bushel" doesn't necessarily translate to "shine your light in other people's faces when they already have a light of their own

I could see her inferred condescension. However from seeing Bob's many posts on this board I interpreted it more as we are all struggling through the dark together trying to find any light, more so than "my light is better than your light"

So Bob, how did you really mean it?

AJ

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
But my mag-light IS better than your Coleman.

And if you don't agree with me, I'll beat you to death with it.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.