FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your Hatrack turf? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's your Hatrack turf?
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that there are prolific posters here who rarely ever encounter each other because they don't post in the same threads.

I don't mean fluff versus serious stuff. I mean more specialization than that.

I post in fluff and in serious threads, but generally in particular fluff and serious threads.

For instance, I don't tend to post in a lot of art-related threads, I don't think. Not that I don't like art, but, without any conscious thought on my part, I just don't tend to find those to be the threads that stimulate me a lot. I also don't generally post in medical threads, or techy threads. Again, not that I never do, but that those aren't the threads that I'm all over.

My little piece of Hatrack turf includes threads about parenting, sexuality, gender roles, teaching, Cuba/Latino culture, and self-analysis. I would bet that it's hard to find a thread in any of those avenues that I haven't put my two cents into.

You?

One reason that this is interesting to me is discovering that after well over six-thousand posts here, there are people with whom I have not developed any kind of reputation at all. They don't know me, and I don't know them. Why? Our turf doesn't overlap. We see each other on the occasions when we venture out of our turf, but not enough to create a relationship.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I claim smilie threads.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Between Mrs. Dubose's house and the Radley place.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I usually post in political, social, sci-fi, and silly threads mostly I think... but I'm definatly a Jack of all trades and will post anywhere once! [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what you are talking about. And who *are* you, anyway? I think that this is much too "meta" of a thread for someone like you to start -- you don't even have a 1,000 posts yet.
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
screechowl
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for screechowl   Email screechowl         Edit/Delete Post 
katharina

Please don't eat any of the pecans that fall from the Radley's trees!

[Smile]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I read all kinds of threads, but usually by the time I read them what I would have said has already been said (and I loathe posting just to say "me too").

Lately I've expended way too much energy in the gay marriage threads and other homosexuality debates. Subjects I might be "all over":

Gardening, movies, language, technology, visions of the future, and some fluff.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I live pretty far up in the Hatrack Ivory Tower.

I post in threads about politics, philosophy, morality, religion, and any thread in which I can defend some misunderstood "monster." I post in threads about abstracts, ideals, and theories, but not normally in threads arguing over factual details, or specifics of any kind. (I generally assume those disputes are for experts in the subjects to handle, rather than general debate.) I also post in self-analysis threads.

I post in some "fluff" threads, but I am very picky about which. Usually they are the fluff threads that entail either competition and/or creativity.

I also will post in any thread that I consider sufficiently wacky - especially if it is both wacky and serious, my favorite combination. [Wink]

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I lurk. *shifty eyes*

Occasionally I pop out on fluff threads of particular interest, and occasionally on other "serious" threads. Although I follow "gay marriage" threads I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. Same with a lot of the controversial threads.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I OWN all the turf that has bugs on it. And I started the Wenches' Tavern. I tend to create and visit teacher threads. I also sip from various things like political threads, parenting, social issues, and fluff. Sometimes, I'll think of turf I've never seen covered and put it up at Hatrack. Like the fishing thread.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
::shrug::

I didn't even know I had a turf. Hey, if anyone wants to interact with me, just say so, or start interacting. I'm just... there.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
T, you belong to what I consider 'teen turf' and 'Mormon turf' and 'fluff turf'. That is, most of the threads you have long correspondence in have one of those things in common. Under your mentors, Pat and Jon Boy, I think you guys manage to combine all three quite a bit into one massive sub-tribe of Hatrack--the Fluffy Mormon Teens. [Razz]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Generally I just scan threads for out-of-context quotations and onanism references.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien, gender roles, space and science stuff, Iraq but I've decided to stay out of those now. Anything bizarre or quirky. Newbie fishing and welcoming newcomers. Oh, and cats. I'm fascinated by the medical stuff. Suicide matters to me a lot. Religion, though I read more than posting now in those.

I stay out of the ones I'm not old enough for, and I gave up political threads back when things got so ornerylike here, and haven't ever picked them back up again. Another thing I don't enjoy that lots of people seem to, is stuff that's interesting specifically because it's so stupid, silly, bad, or idiotic or whatever. For some reason stuff like that doesn't interest me at all.

[ April 22, 2004, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any turf, I'm just renting.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

[Cry] I'm a fluffy Mormon ADULT!!! ::runs to room::
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...

I post to almost everything, unless I really don't know what's being discussed.

Except for right now in my life, when I post to only the top five threads while my kids take a nap.

Right now I'm in between stripping the kitchen floor by hand, and waxing it by hand. So I quickly post to whatever's moving and then I leave.

I think I must also hold a record for most last posts. [Razz]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Homestarrunner
Member # 5090

- posted      Profile for Homestarrunner   Email Homestarrunner         Edit/Delete Post 
I am probably best described as a Mormon apologist.

I stay out of the political or factual threads. I don't read enough about current events to be able to discuss most of them in detail.

For kicks, I like to jump into a thread when everybody else is done contributing to it. Riding it down the page is a real thrill.

[ April 22, 2004, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Homestarrunner ]

Posts: 144 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Puns, music, books, some teacher stuff. I bail when things get nasty, even a little, because I can find that enough in "real life." I am here to have fun and share ideas.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] T-Smith.

T, you are one funny young person.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
*touches Nathan*

you're not very fluffy.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I tend to post in threads that have my name in the title. Which is lucky because recent reasearch reveals that few other people like to post in threads with my name in the title.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Any thread that needs a whipping boy. [Smile]
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
Used to be any thread that needed someone to hold a whip.

Maybe I should go back to those simpler days.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I miss the good ol' days when it was Ralphie holding the whip. [Razz]

Hobbes [Smile]

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fluffy Mormon Teens
Hey, at least it's not the Furry Mormon Teens. [Eek!]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

I got a junk e-mail for one of those yesterday.
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
If I think people will let me get away with being a smartass in a thread, then I'll post in it.

I'm here so infrequently now, my 'turf' is no longer as clearly defined. I do like that I have a small amount of anonymity again, as there are a quite a few newbies who don't really know who I am. It means I don't have to be as careful with what I say. It doesn't feel like my posts are under scrutiny, like I felt at one point.

Oh, wait - I do claim my turf as any posts that require it to be said that jehovoid is a genius. And Frisco. And Dobie.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, I can smell you brains.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Think they'd go good with a nice chianti and some fava beans?

You sick freak.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ralphie, I can accept your smarta**edness, but I am totally scrutinizing your posts for foulmouthedness.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Then you read ALL my posts.

Excellent.

Frisco
Member # 3765

I think the proper reply, Ralphie, would be "Bitch."
Ralphie
Member # 1565

And if I edited it in, an edit mark would destroy the funny. [Frown]

Edited to say: And you know people, Eddie. They're here for a few months and suddenly they own the joint.

[ April 23, 2004, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Ralphie ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

Someone stole my funny, I last saw it December 31st, 99. But hey, some party eh?

Hobbes [Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Bitch.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Next time.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Fluffy Mormon Teens

And language threads

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
I lurk too much to have "turf." But I do love a good religion thread, or whatever else I have an opinion on. On second thought, I have an opinion on most everything--I just can't articulate it that well, and don't often have something to say that can't be better said by someone else.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tt&t
Member # 5600

- posted      Profile for tt&t   Email tt&t         Edit/Delete Post 
Fluff. [Razz]

(((((everyone)))))

I don't feel knowledgable enough (or someone's already posted what I wanted to say by the time I get there) to post in serious threads, although I have from time to time. I read most things, though.

I deleted my earlier post to this thread because it got in the way of someone's joke. *siiiigh* I think I'm too easily intimidated. [Smile]

Post. [Wink]

[ April 22, 2004, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: tt&t ]

Posts: 1431 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Buffy. (And Angel since that's all the Buffy there is any more.)

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Chat [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Serious political threads are normally where I go, but lately I stay away from some of them because many find my views offensive. [Dont Know]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Being both likeable and unlikeablt simultaneously.

Seriously (as if the previous wasn't true), I don't know. I never asked. There's little I don't have something to run my mouth about. Does anyone who knows me know my "turf?"

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Grenme.
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
John, I think your Hatrack turf is history, theology (or, more accurately, religious history), current events, prejudice, and Dune.

I don't remember you posting so much about religious history before you went back to school, come to think of it. I think a lot of your turf overlaps with mine--more so now, since I also find religious history fascinating. The big exception [to the overlapping comment] for me is current events. I don't post in a lot of current events threads.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I don't have turf.
John L
Member # 6005

- posted      Profile for John L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I always had an interest in interesting historical tidbits, but one professor in particular has given me some direction.

Oh, and there are people who have way more theological knowledge than I do. I'm an outsider looking in with religions now, whereas a few people (even here) I know are more from the inside looking around.

[ April 22, 2004, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: John L ]

Posts: 779 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

Jamie, thats a load of crapola.
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
so what's my turf?
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.