FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » House (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: House
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
It *was* a really good episode. I was glued. I was still thinking about it this morning, so I figure it must have been enough to catch my attention. The only thing I didn't really get was why he was so stubborn about the leg, about not being willing to let it be amputated.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
You people are really irritating me. I had to work on Tuesday night, so I set my VCR to tape House. But someone moved out next door, and when the cable people went over to disconnect their service, they got ours instead. We were without cable for what looks like the exact wrong 18 hours. So, since I live in a basement with no regular reception, all I taped was an hour of static. And now I come here and everyone insists on rubbing it in. [Wall Bash] [Mad] [Wall Bash] [Mad]

Well, at least they didn't interrupt 24. I guess I'll have to wait for rerun season to fit in with the cool crowd now. [Frown]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Speed, the slast episode of the season s a continuation of this one, so at least you will have something of our coolness.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
This was also my favorite episode -- not just because it was riveting and emotional and told a background -- but because it showed just how hard it really is to be a doctor -- not all your decisions are going to be the right ones. It isn't possible to be perfect. It showed how difficult it is in the diagnostic arena. Just gave a great deal of insight into how the medical mind has to "think" of hundreds of different details at once.

I hold doctors in high admiration for being willing to make those kinds of decisions.

I pointed out to Ivygirl that since she plans to be a vet - she will have some of the same dilemmas -- where her diagnosis might be wrong, or the patient have a reaction to the treatment, etc. She is relieved that it won't be human lives on the line in her hands, although she realizes the value of some pets and livestock is also of high importance.
FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it last night. I was impressed, I really liked it. Such an interesting way to do the episode. And it DID remind me of an active ER, where all the difficult cases come at once or you get three patients in a row that all look identical, but aren't, and you have to think on your feet and switch from case to case to case. I saved it to watch again, I was pretty tired and some of the patient switches were confusing to me.

I didn't really believe a lot of the latter half of the House case, it didn't make medical sense to me, nor how that leads to his chronic pain NOW. But I can suspend my disbelief pretty well for that show. I'm kinda used to it.

Yes, the parts about how doctors aren't perfect and will sometimes make wrong choices is important. They probably don't talk about that enough in training. Harming someone has been MY deepest fear and I have struggled very hard with fear and guilt over the years. It doesn't necessarily get that much easier with time.

[ May 20, 2005, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: Theca ]

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

((Theca))

How many years have you been a doctor now?

You have my deepest admiration.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been an MD for almost 7 years? Three years of residency and almost four years in practice. Really, I'm just one of those people who probably should have picked a less responsible job. I LIKE following directions and making people happy. I snorted when I heard House say something about how if you can't accept making mistakes and accept consequences then pick another field. (I think he said something like that) I wonder if I would have taken the warning seriously if someone had sat me down and talked to me seriously about the decision making responsibilities. Probably not.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
I think House is the best show on TV right now. I love it, but I thought this episode with the Three Patients was the best yet. The first half was almost surreal, a candid look into the mind of House. I too cried in a few spots. I would like to believe that after his inital visit with his ex-wife, he was much more emotionally vulnerable than he realized, and basically sat there improvising his lecture and revealed more about himself than he ever intended. It was a very magical way of letting us inside the mind of House. Bravo.

But the biggest question I wrestled with is with the 3rd patient, the seeker: Was House planning on being that patient from the start of his lecture, or was he just winging it, and he eventually transformed his own case into that patient? If he planned the whole lecture around himself, that is brilliant and cold, but if it just sort of turned out that way (which I believe it did), then I think we had a chance to see House in an uncharacteristically emotional and vulnerable state.

I have several HS students job-shadow me every year, and every student gets a different version. I am very afraid of what my next one might be like after watching that episode.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the last episode a lot. I hadn't been that enthused about the show, it seemed ok but I thought it wouldn't get renewed so I didn't bother watching it much.

But the latest episode changed my mind. The plotting was very polished--House's character was rounded out nicely, there was the ongoing conflict with the ex-wife, and the diagnostic lecture with it's morbid humor and tasty surrealism, the medicine meshed perfectly with the plot . . .and all in a one-hour show. I was very impressed.

Also, the show will live or die on the charisma of the title character, and the actor playing House showed plenty of charisma to me. I'll watch it more regularly now. [Smile]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Good episode! But tell me, am I the only one that thinks Cameron's little comment seemed too desperate? "I thought you couldn't love, you just couldn't love me." She's a smart, atractive woman. Why does she have to act so pathetic? I do think House has feelings for her somewhere in that mess of a heart but her acting so desperate isn't going to bring them to the surface. I think next season is going to be very interesting w/ Sela Ward around. This turned out to be one of my favorite shows along with Gray's Anatomy and Desperate Housewives!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Dawnmaria, I did think her comment was desperate, and passive aggressive. She is smitten, though.

Yes, Sela Ward will put a whole new spin o the show! I loved the ending, with the little snip in his apartment(I love his apartment!). He is so going to try to get her back.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, I hope House runs off with the hot young doctor. She's oozing with sweetness and won't say things like, "I still love you, but I can't be with you." Which just makes me want to sing u-2.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dawnmaria:
Good episode! But tell me, am I the only one that thinks Cameron's little comment seemed too desperate? "I thought you couldn't love, you just couldn't love me." She's a smart, atractive woman. Why does she have to act so pathetic?

I think it's because one of the truisms of TV drama: a woman cannot be truly happy unless she's in a relationship, so if she's not in one, she MUST pine after the male lead (or one of the secondary male characters). (Notice we know nothing about the other two young docs' love lives or lack thereof.)

Still, I enjoyed the episode. This is going to have to replace Joan of Arcadia in my small rotation of shows that I'll actually watch.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I really didn't like this episode as well as the previous week. House was just too emotional to be involved in this case at all -- and I guess in the back of my mind the whole time I was thinking "no real hospital would let a doctor on a case that had this much emotional involvement for him" -- so it quit being realistic to me early on in this episode.

And the whole scene with him defying his peers and sending the guy into an attack just to get a urine sample -- that would just never really happen. And he would never do to that guy (go against his wishes) what was done to him (when she went against his wishes on the leg).

Sure, in the end, it always proves out that he is right, which is why he never suffers any backlash for his rogue ways -- but still, there were many ethics lines crossed there.

Farmgirl
(but not enough to keep me from watching it each week!) [Wink]

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Okay -- I guess I'm the only one keeping this thread alive week to week, and it takes me forever to locate this thread again each time, but..whatever...

Last night -- are we into season reruns yet? I had not seen this episode before - but thought maybe I had just missed it earlier on since I thought summer time starts reruns.

I really liked the ending last night. And the way the guy (patient) really pegged Dr. House about his work being his obsession -- all he has. It was good.

FG

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Farmgirl, last week was the season finale. I was so deflated from no American Idol that I forgot to wacth and see if there was a House episode I had missed.

I am so sorry to let you down, and to let down the thread! ha ha.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Dead Poet Society today. I THOUGHT that one of the main characters teens looked like Dr. Wilson on House. I was right. The kid he played then didn't want to go to medical school so now he plays a doctor, of course.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like this show, but I'm always waiting for Hugh Laurie to go into Blackadder mode. It's hard to take him seriously as a doctor.

Has anyone been watching the second series of this? (It isn't on tv here yet.) Is it still good?

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Yes. It's very good. [Smile]

And, I'm no longer just watching it for Robert Sean Leonard (Dr. Wilson).

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Weird, Mack.
I was going to respond to Theaca's comment. In fact, I thought I had. And what i was going to say was: "Of course!"

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's excellent. The week before last was a fantastic episode. I laughed so freaking hard. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I am not watching anymore, after the plot twist of Sela Ward.

Too much. i don;t buy it. It's "My Name is Earl" and "The Office" for me, though I do switch back and forth.

Megan
Member # 5290

Ryan Hurst on House. [Big Grin]

Yay!

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I adore House. He's so tortured. And Wilson gets better every week.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Anyone catch last night's episode? Am I the only one who thought it was just plain strange? I mean, okay, a married couple has an interesting sex life, so that must mean the wife secretly wants him dead? And no explanation why? That's what happens in real life, not on TV. You're supposed to tell us why she did it. And then the thing with the guy with herpes. I still don't get that...so he was cheating? Or she was? Or neither were, and House played very effective head games on them both? Also, I could be wrong, but I've never heard that a side effect of herpes is that you can't pee. Enlarged prostate, yes, herpes, no.

Very lackluster episode to end weeks of being usurped by AI. Though I really like Samantha Mathis and enjoyed seeing her on the show.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
The wife said early on that everyone is living a fantasy or a lie (I don't remember her exact wording). I'm assuming that she didn't really love him and couldn't deal with the truth of that.

I agree on the herpes thing. The encounter in Cuddy's office at the end happened so fast that it almost made my head spin.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Didn't find it on last night. I thought maybe they had cancelled the series! [Frown]

Glad to hear it's still around.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Glad you both said what you said, jeniwren and Jon Boy.
I missed a bit when my husband came home, and I was flummoxed at the end.
So, what did she kill him with? Gold? How? Did it have to do with the sex play, or id she just feed it to him?
Also, the Holmes-Watson thing is getting entrenched, with House keeping his pal in the apartment because he can cook. Ha ha. I loved that part of the show last night.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
This was my first episode of House, so I might not have got anything right. But I got the impression because of what the wife said at the beginning that she had pretended to be into S&M because she was in love with him and later realized that she didn't like it, and didn't know how to get out.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It was never really clear why she did it, but the gold was fed to him.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Fae-Ray
Member # 9260

- posted      Profile for The Fae-Ray           Edit/Delete Post 
Funnest thing to do with that show is to switch back and forth from it to Blackadder (preferably the fourth) and watch how different he is in each show. If you haven't seen Hugh Laurie in Blackadder, well, he's the complete opposite of House.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

I thought the exchange where the husband told the wife he loved her, but she replied "I know." was creepy. Not her reply, but his way of pursuading her to reply that she loved him. "Don't make me hurt you." Yick. I got the impression he only said it because he really needed to hear back that she loved him. And that it was a role they played with each other where at least one of them was tired of playing but that they didn't feel like they could say so. So you kill him instead? I dunno. I understand not wanting to be spoonfed every little detail, but I think they went a little too vague last night.

I don't remember when the wife said that she pretended to be into S&M but really wasn't. And that doesn't really fit with her setting up a threesome as an anniversary present. Weird.

And I'm irritated because I DVR House and for no reason I can figure out, it only saved the first five minutes. So I can't go back and watch it again to see what I might have missed the first go through. *grumble* [Smile]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
She didn't say it. But she told the girl early on that marriages fell apart because one member pretended to be something they weren't so the other member would love them, and then got stuck in the pretense. That's what gave me that impression.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea a person could be poisoned with gold...
*thinks of the bible*
I don't know why she couldn't just say, "I am sorry honey, but I no longer want to have kinky S and M sex but instead I want to have plain vanilla sex from now on. If he had loved her he would have just agreed.
So that was vaguely dippy.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristen
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for Kristen   Email Kristen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not great, I agree. Seemed a little like what I DON'T like about CSI (the implausibility, mostly). And poisoning your husband with gold because you don't like your sex life and can't speak up about is just crazy-- and I thought making his least favorite meal for dinner all week was passive aggressive.

It was definitely not up to form. Let's have some more weird diseases and less weird scenarios/people.

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Syn, not necessarily true. Some people can't perform without certain "events" occurring. So, it might have to be: I love you, so we won't have sex.
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed the main story line was left unresolved.

I think the Man gave his wife herpes since she left no room for doubt that she could have got it from a toilet seat, but did. In effect saying hey maybe I did give you herpes, but it wasn't my fault I got it from a toilet seat. Plus she gets mad, takes off her ring and throws it at him. Then he turns to House and says "thanks a lot"

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone notice that the dad in this week's episode was Alex from "The Last Starfighter"? It made feel very old to see him that age!
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Wow, really? I didn't notice.
Kristen
Member # 9200

The girl was Dawn from Buffy!

I thought this episode was a HUGE improvement over last week. And how funny are Wilson and House?

Posts: 484 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

Last night's episode was really interesting in some ways and boring in others. SPOILERS follow.

The case was irritating and I didn't really care about either of the people involved. Insomnia Girl had no personality. I seriously can't imagine being so passive I was willing to let a doctor do a 6' colonoscopy without any pain control. And the last part where the partner revealed her big secret was a total repeat of the episode where Supermodel Jailbait admitted to seducing her father.

This episode was about Cameron, and I really appreciate that they are really growing her as a character. The best parts of the show were where her dark side was coming out, where she just let it rip. I loved her retort back to House about his keen insights into the finer psychology of lesbian relationships. And her willingness to say that he was right after all.

The last scene was what I think has probably happened in a zillion business offices all over the world, but with more honesty. It's an illustration of two diametrically opposed world views that are nonetheless complementary and necessary in team environments. Generally speaking. There are those are like Cameron, people who concentrate on the relationship. And there are those like Foreman who concentrate mainly on the task, goal or accomplishment. Both are needed on a team for balance, but they have to recognize their individual strengths to really mesh properly. The last scene last night was the first step to that understanding, I think. My hope is that the writers will take it to the next step, where Foreman gets a smack in the face for being too focused on personal acheivement. And that Cameron is the one to help him through it. Not as a friend, but as a colleague working to make the team better.

Kristen
Member # 9200

Speaking of the plague:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/04/19/bubonic.plague.ap/index.html

mackillian
Member # 586

Nice.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Tonight's episode of House creeped me out.
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I thought it was pretty weak. But they've had some good ones recently, so I'm willing to let one slip.
Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
The most fun isn't so much the medical stuff, but watching House react to people around him. I LOVED him wiht Foreman this week.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
"He injected him with what!?"

--My reaction to Chase saying he should have given the baby more polystyrene. Polystyrene is, of course, often sold under the brand name styrofoam. But I looked it up, and it turns out polystyrene really is a drug used to lower potassium (presumably not given in a solid foam form). You learn something new every day.

Edit to add: and actually, it would have been swallowed. If it were IV, then the lack of absorption by the intestine wouldn't have been a problem.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

So, did the baby die because of the gluten in the medicine?(I realize he had been oxygen deprived from the smothering)

Syn, I was not creeped out so much as heartbroken. What a sad story, with no happy ending anywhere in sight.

Actually, I was really creeped out as well, come to think of it...

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

Things that involve dying or sick babies alarm me and make me unhappy.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.