FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » OSC I Challenge Thee: The Return

Author Topic: OSC I Challenge Thee: The Return
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC I Challenge Thee to make a great Movie from your almost flawless story.

Good Luck and Godspeed.

May all the cinematic luck be with you in bringing to the big screen your wonderful, magnificent Wiggin saga.

<T>

***nudge*** ***nudge***

PS. Are you making the movie on the non-liberal Side of the town we all know as Hollywood???

***wink*** ***wink***

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but this makes me really, really happy. Thanks Thor, you put a huge smile on my face just then.
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Brings back memories, doesn't it? [Wink]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
silverblue [Kiss]

what meter do you like to worth with, if I may ask?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] That was awesome. You should post more Thor, we miss you.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor, you rock.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cool]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this thread made me happy.

I would love to be able to set up a little time tunnel so that Thor-now could talk with Thor-then.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah,the memories.

[Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
[Group Hug]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Do I get this if I only saw it at EnderCon? [Confused]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Nah, it's not an Endercon thing. Way back when, when Thor was new to the forum, he created a thread on the other side called "OSC I Challenge Thee" in which he requested fairly stridently that he be allowed to write the Ender's Game screenplay. There was quite a to-do over it--lots of outrage. I think it was that thread that caused his banning under that name, but I don't quite remember. Anyway, this thread kind of shows how much Thor has evolved as a person and a Hatracker since that time.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
So it's not related in any way to a person representing James Cameron wearing a viking hat?
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Not that I'm aware of. Take that for what it's worth though.
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So it's not related in any way to a person representing James Cameron wearing a viking hat?
No, but it becomes related to Geoffery Card trying to wear a viking hat.

quote:
Way back when, when Thor was new to the forum, he created a thread on the other side called "OSC I Challenge Thee" in which he requested fairly stridently that he be allowed to write the Ender's Game screenplay.
Actually, I wasn't requesting to write THE screenplay, I was asking for an application TO write the screenplay by either

A) having OSC read some of my other Original Works.

B) write a spec version of Ender's Game.

If he likes my work, I get a job, if he doesn't
I don't. That's the America Way. Technically I'm not out of the running until the movie gets made, but i wouldn't bet on my odds with more than a dollar or two, maybe 3.

quote:
I think it was that thread that caused his banning under that name, but I don't quite remember
No. What led to my banning in 2000 was the first time I went to ORNERY.COM and became aware of OSC's political views, I responded to one of his personal attacks on Bill Clinton with a rude personal attack on Mr. OSC and his column.

Wow. It's been that long. And all along Katherine Card has been an angel to me and every other entity that has showed up to Hatrack.

Hatrack is an amazing community for writers, and people who want to get smarter, hear some sound advice, get a fair shake, speak about cultural issues (abortion, and now that Republicans and Conservatives are in office every other thread is gay this and gay that and eight gays in a car with funny hats.).

This is a great place.

Woot.

<T>

PS. me write movies

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

So no one else remembers the James Cameron in a viking hat skit?
Ela
Member # 1365

Of course we do, but it was funny to us because of Thor's thread OSC I Challenge Thee, which was on Hatrack about a year or so before Endercon.

And that is what many of us are remembering when we view this thread.

Thor was quite the controversial fellow in those days. His threads went to many, many pages.

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine Card [Smile]

I know this because I almost face-palmed when Strider called her "Kristin" to her face. [Razz]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
The bit with the viking hat was inspired by the original thread. The philoticweb.net team did a sketch in which SSYWAK played OSC, and the rest of the team played prospective screenwriters for the movie. As I remember, the first was a film student who wanted to film the battleroom scenes in an aquarium full of green jello, the second was a hollywood hatchetman who wanted to sex it up and add more explosions, and the third was a special treat for Hatrackers, Geoff Card dressed up as Thor (The norse God one) coming in and demanding to be allowed to write the script. If I remember correctly, as he was being dragged offstage, he pleaded for at least a game of Risk with OSC, which actually happened in the original thread. I can't remember who had the idea of having Geoff play Thor, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was either me or Taalcon. Anyway, it was a lot of fun to put together.

The reason this thread makes me so happy, however, is because of the memory of the original thread, not the sketch at EnderCon.

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Thor [Kiss]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Right, right, I remember all of that now that you say it Thor--my memory of the whole thing is a bit hazy now.
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniff* that was the first thread I ever read at Hatrack.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
The reason this thread makes me so happy, however, is because of the memory of the original thread, not the sketch at EnderCon.
Agreed. [Smile]

quote:
*sniff* that was the first thread I ever read at Hatrack.
One of my first, also. As I recall, I first discovered Hatrack when Thor came over to Pweb to complain about being banned from Hatrack and Fresco.

I naively asked, "What's a Hatrack? What's a Fresco?" [Razz]

vwiggin
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for vwiggin   Email vwiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... good times. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1592 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I'm willing to play OSC at risk any time
he's ready. I shall start to put together a Hatrack Risk Tournament.

!

<T>

Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I can just picture the next Endercon....Endercon 2010.

After winning various Ender and Alvin trivia contests, the winners all sit down to play OSC in a giant game of RISK.

OSC, "You know, Papa Moose, that the Russian Czars never really had a firm hold on Kamchatka..."

And so it goes.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been a few years since I've played Risk, but count me in if there's to be a game. [Smile]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Me, too. [Smile]
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
*grins*

I remember the original OSC, I Challenge Thee also. The whole to-do about Thor being banned was what brought Ela and me to Hatrack to begin with.

I also remember the PWeb mods' skit at EnderCon. I have a copy of the script somewhere in my room. [Big Grin]

And I have pictures!

Geoff Card dressed as Thor
The cast of the skit
"Thor" being dragged offstage by the mods

[Big Grin]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the original thread. I was just lurking back then, since I didn't feel comfortable getting registered online until I owned my own computer. I did a LOT of lurking. I remember the Endercon skit too. I wonder if I took any pictures. Wow, that all seems like yesterday.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the thread as well. Good times.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that the title of this thread reads to me as "OSC I Challenge Thee: The Rectum?" [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

[Eek!]

[Laugh]

odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brings back memories, doesn't it?
i wonder how many remember the original
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

THOR as Wolverine.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.