FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What should I do with all my rhubarb? (Pictures on page 2!) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What should I do with all my rhubarb? (Pictures on page 2!)
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
We're talking a lot of rhubarb, here. I'll make rhubarb sorbet, of course, and probably rhubarb strawberry crisp. I'm not a huge fan of rhubarb pie. And I don't do anything that involves preserving, no jams or jellies or anything. So, what else? It's going crazy out there...

[ May 18, 2005, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Send me some!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Freeze it?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm, rhubarb. I grew up in Texas so I don't know much about it but my grandma always makes a yummy rhubarb sauce, kind of like an applesauce. Lots of uses for it but I just liked eating it with lunch or dinner. Here is a neat website on rhubarb, and I've linked to the recipe section.

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/recipe-sauce.html#index_sauce_34

Now that I live in the midwest I wonder if I could buy some... but then what I would I be motivated to do with it? Hmmmm.

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I don't have a freezer except for the one that's part of the refrigerator, which is awfully full... and then that still begs the question of what the heck I do with it after I freeze it.

Raia, be careful, I still have your address, and I don't think it will smell too good by the time it gets there...

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Hmm... d'you think you could send it in an icebox, or something?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Ooooh, now that is helpful, Theca!

Rhubarb mustard sauce... hmmm... glad I asked this question before I went grocery shopping...

ElJay
Member # 6358

I would make Rhubarb Mousse With Strawberry-gin Sauce tonight, but I have no gin and the liquor stores are closed on Sundays. Looks good!
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*checks Theca's link*

quote:
  • Balsamic Rhubarb Compote
  • Baked Rhubarb (Rhubarb Sauce)
  • Boxwallah's Chutney
  • Citrus Sponge Pudding wity Rhubarb Sauce
  • Corned Beef with Rhubarb Mustard Sauce
  • Cranberry-Rhubarb Relish
  • Sauteed Duck Breast with Rhubarb Cherry Sauce
  • Easy Stewed Rhubarb
  • Gingery Rhubarb Sauce With Almonds
  • Grammie Sarah's Rhubarb Compote
  • Grilled Chicken with Rhubarb Relish
  • Grilled Oysters with Rhubarb-Ginger Compote
  • Kumquat Chutney (with Rhubarb)
  • Lemon Ice Torte with Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce
  • Lemon Thyme and Rhubarb Compote
  • Microwave Rhubarb Chutney
  • Minted Berry-Cherry Rhubarb Compote
  • No Sugar Rhubarb Sauce
  • Red Currant Rhubarb Sauce With Port Wine
  • Stewed Rhubarb
  • Rhubarb Apple Sauce
  • Rhubarb Cherry Sauce for Poultry
  • Rhubarb Chutney
  • Rhubarb Chutney
  • Rhubarb Chutney
  • Rhubarb Compote
  • Rhubarb and Dried Cherry Chutney
  • Rhubarb Mint Chutney
  • Rhubarb Mousse With Strawberry-gin Sauce
  • Rhubarb Mustard Salsa (for grilled fish)
  • Rhubarb, Onion, and Raisin Chutney
  • Rhubarb Relish
  • Rhubarb Salsa
  • Rhubarb Sauce
  • Rhubarb Sauce
  • Rhubarb Sauce
  • Potage De Fruits Glaces (Rhubarb Soup)
  • Rhubarb Stew
  • Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce
  • Rhubarb-Strawberry Sauce
  • Rhubarb Syrup
  • Rock Cornish Hens with Rhubarb Sauce
  • Sharbat-e Rivasse (rhubarb syrup)
  • Spiced Rhubarb
  • Steamed Apples and Rhubarb
  • Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote

*drools*
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Lemon Ice Torte with Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce in particular is catching my eye...
Raia
Member # 4700

*drools too*
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
cut in pieces, add sugar, add lots of water, boil until soft. Cool in fridge. drink.

eat raw with sugar.

bake:
1/2 kg flour
0,3 kg butter
0,15 kg powder sugar (circa 1 cup)
1 table spoon vanilla sugar
5-6 egg yolks

combine ingredients, cool in fridge for about 15 minutes.

lay a thin layer of dough on baking pan; put rhubarb on top, sprinkle sugar; bake around 20 minutes

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to stew it every now and again. ~6 cups rhubarb, spoon of lemon juice, ~1 cup of sugar depending on your sweet tooth and some salt if you're one of those people that requires salt in everything you make when 9 times out of 10 it makes it taste worse. Add just enough water to cook, bring to a boil and simmer for ~45 minutes. Toss in the sugar and heat until it's dissolved and taste to see if it's sweet enough for you. Keep adding sugar until it is.

You can play around with it. Add cinimon, use it as an ice cream topping, add strawberry jam. I hear some people add balsamic vinegar rather than sugar and use it as a sour salsa, but that seems wrong to me.

*shrug* just play with it.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had rhubarb! I loooove rhubarb pie! [Frown]

Recipezaar has 402 recipes that use or can use rhubarb, from Rhubarb Coffee Cake to Lemony Rhubarb Pudding to Rhubarb and Onion Relish and beyond.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
rhubarb wine!
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

BtL's recipe sounds like what I do to make sorbet, except then of course I chill it and put it in my ice cream maker.

Anyway, I am trying the Gingery Rhubarb Sauce With Almonds from Theca's link tonight. My problem, kinda, is that most of the recipes are for sweet things and desserts, and I don't eat dessert very often. Perhaps I'll try some of the salsa recipes...

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Momma's little baby loves rhubarb, rhubarb.
Momma's little baby loves rhubarb pie.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
On the link I posted, there's one (on the second page) for Rhubarb Chutney, one for Chicken with Rhubarb, and as I said before, Rhubarb and Onion Relish.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

PC, isn't that "Mama's little baby loves rhubarb, rhubarb,
Bee-Bop-A-Rebop Rhubarb Pie"? [Big Grin]

Theca
Member # 1629

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
My problem, kinda, is that most of the recipes are for sweet things and desserts, and I don't eat dessert very often.

Really? Maybe you need to find a way to blend rhubarb and chocolate... [Wink]
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

kq, your link also has some interesting beverage recipes. I'm thinking I'll be mixing up a batch of the rhubarb slush tonight, too.
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Really? Maybe you need to find a way to blend rhubarb and chocolate...
*laugh*

That actually doesn't sound at all appealing.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*entirely envious of El-Jay's rhubarb abundance*
Raia
Member # 4700

ElJay, I'm not big on sweets either, I hear ya. [Smile]
Raia
Member # 4700

And by the way, who needs sugar?

Eat 'em plain!

ElJay
Member # 6358

I like sweets, I just don't need to be baking up an entire pie or 12 when I live by myself. 'Cause then, of course, I have to eat it before it goes bad. Maybe I'll bring rhubarb bars to work. [Big Grin]
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
You all are making me hungry. I think I'll bake a pie now
Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Strawberry-rubarb pie rocks!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nuh-uh. Rhubarb pie with a dash of cream, a bit of flour, not too much sugar, a dash of salt, and a pinch of nutmeg, in a vinegar pie crust with a lattice-top sprinkled with sugar crystals is better!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Rhubarb crisp is yummy. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Carve rhubarb action figures. (Conan the Rhubarbarian)
Fling rhubarb at passing cars.
Give rhubarb out next Halloween for a really scary Treat.
Give each rhubarb a name, prop them up around the house, and talk to them.
Rhubarb Bowling.
Make a rhubarb-trebuchet in your backyard.
See how many rhubarb you can balance in a tall stack.

Just thought you could use some non-edible suggestions, too.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
See how many rhubarb you can balance in a tall stack.
Rhubarb pick-up sticks? Or Lincoln Logs?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*drools also*

I'm a bit closer than Raia, but I expect mailing it is still a bad idea.

Sadly, because I've been really craving some. I hope the market has some in this time -- they didn't the last I checked, a couple weeks back.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
Bathe in it. While taking pictures.

*starts website for rhubarb fetishists*

Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I am *so* hungry for a slice of Mom's Rhubarb Pie with Homemade Crust now.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Duh. Make ME a pie!
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Momma's little baby loves rhubarb, rhubarb.
Bee bop a rebop, rhubarb pie

Beat me to it. I love that show.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Make pies or crisps and sell them. You friends and neighbors will love you for it. I love strawberry rhubarb pie and crisp. Yummy.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Now I'm jealous. Seriously.

When I lived in Canada, I, ahem, liberated some from backyards at 3 am with a friend. All because it was the only way I could get some. Rhubarb crisp, rhubarb jam, rhubarb chutney - those were my favorites.

I think now I'm going to have to see if I can find a rhubarb plant here to plant in the garden of our new place. To go along with the herb garden I plan on planting. [Big Grin]

But I'm still jealous. [Mad]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
cobbler...I have it on good authority that if you do a layer of rhubarb, then biscuit, then custard, and another layer of biscuit it'll taste really good
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*drooling*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hey, quid:

Growing rhubarb from seed (apparently not the best method, but it can be done.)

Harvest Moon and Victory Seeds both sell rhubarb seed, the Vicoria strain which is apparently the best for cooking (It's not currently available from Burpee's.)

If neither of them will ship to you, or not cheap enough, let me know; I want to get some anyway, so I'll send it to you with your tahini (which I've bought now) and your chocolate (which I haven't yet) when I send them. [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Coolness! (I've been saying that a lot lately. I think I should just shoot myself.)
quote:
Plant ¼" deep indoors, 6-8 weeks prior to last frost. After hardening off, transplant into deeply cultivated, well-drained beds into which generous amounts of organic matter and composted manure have been added. Final spacing should be 18-24".

Rhubarb is a cool season crop that requires temperatures below 40° F to break dormancy and to stimulate good spring growth. For growth to remain vigorous, summer temperatures should average less than 75° F. This means that the Northern U.S. and Canada are best suited for rhubarb production.

It is best to wait until the second year before harvesting stalks and even then, be conservative. Pull the stalks instead of cutting. Remove flower stalks as soon as you see them. You will not get full harvests until the third year. Rhubarb plantings will be productive for 15 years or longer.

I could have problems. As in, I don't think it'll grow here. It's probably grown in the hill country - Nuwara Eliya, Kandy, and such - because that's the only part of the country that gets cool, although even there, there's no frost or anything remotely resembling it.

I'll have to see if I can find out if it's possible to grow it in a hot climate, or if there's another species that will, or if I'm just out of luck.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

Far as I know it is ungrowable in Texas, if that helps...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I have found mention of one variety that can grow in the souther states, but I don't have a link to it yet. What I will do, however, is talk to some of the women from church and see what they know. Rhubarb exists in the grocery stores here, albeit on a limited basis. (Same as mint, cilantro, and parsley - I can't get them as regularly as I'd like them, so I'm resorting to growing my own, courtesy of seed packets my sister brought me from Canada. And when they fly here in September, I'll have another list of seeds for her to bring. [Big Grin] )
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Here's what I've found out.

I can either grow rhubarb here as an annual from seed. In other words, plant it and pick everything that grows, and start from seed again as soon as I want more.

Or I can possibly grow it in light shade with the full understanding that the stalks will be thinner than what you will get in your colder climes. If I go this method, then from seeds, I'm not going to get any crop the first year. I'll have to wait until year 2, and I'm impatient.

Here's what I'm going to do, now that Eljay and ketchupqueen have lit a fire under my collective rhubarb butt... I'm going to talk to some women from church, see what they know and see if they have an existing rhubarb plant or know someone who does. If I can get a, whatchamacallit, rhizome or plant or whatever that's been divided, then I can harvest that sooner. Better for my impatient soul. [Big Grin] Plus it'll also be a variety that's known here.

And yes, I'm growing a garden, probably mostly in pots, at the new house. Fahim isn't looking forward to it simply because he thinks it'll be a hassle for him, what with him having to water every day. Ahem. Never mind that he's never actually watered my aloe plant. Ever. The one and only lonely plant I have. It needs friends. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mom's uncle used to grow rhubarb in TX. What's the problem?

I think I will look into garden stores and see if they carry any cuttings of the kind that grows here.

Of course, maybe I should wait until I see if we're staying here or moving to CA.

rivka
Member # 4859

The thing I wonder, especially if the plants are in pots, is whether the old trick to get bulbs to sprout would work.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

The problem, from what I've read, is that rhubarb requires cold to something something something something, and if it doesn't get cold enough, then the stalks will wind up being green instead of pink or red and spindly instead of thick and juicy.
rivka
Member # 4859

Right, I got that. I was just suggesting growing it (for some amount of time) in your fridge.

No idea if it would work.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.