FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What should I do with all my rhubarb? (Pictures on page 2!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What should I do with all my rhubarb? (Pictures on page 2!)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Judging by the climate requirements mentioned here I would guess that if you started it growing in your fridge for a few weeks, it might do ok. [Dont Know]

How would Fahim feel about a pot or two of rhubarb in the fridge? [Wink]

From the same page: Forcing rhubarb.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
out of curiosity, what is the life cycle of rhubarb?
Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh! I didn't... Yep, me slo. Very slo. [Roll Eyes]

Um, I think the more appropriate question would be... Would Fahim notice the rhubarb pot in the fridge? Considering he's gone in the fridge once in the last week, I think not. [ROFL] Yeah, I could possibly do that.

But rhubarb, to grow properly, needs cold once a year, and for more than a week or two, I would guess. So are you suggesting that, at the end of the season, I pick the rhubarb plant clean and stick the whole pot in the fridge for a month and that might do the trick?

As I think about it, because my practical nature dictates that I do, I seem to recall something about if you plant the rhubarb in a pot, it needs to have at least a foot of soil deep, preferably deeper, and at least that much in diamter as well, and that would take up an awful lot of room in the fridge. Am I about right on that?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That I certainly would not know. The last time my mom grew rhubarb, we lived in New Jersey. And it wasn't in a pot, it was growing next to the toolshed.

Out here (L.A.), my mother never really tried growing anything other than dwarf citrus trees.

We get our rhubarb from the store. Mostly frozen.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what else I'd really love to grow? Lemongrass and sugar cane. Not a lot of it - just... for the fun of it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Sugarcane has deep roots, I think. But lemongrass should be ok in relatively shallow dirt.
rivka
Member # 4859

Uhoh . . .
quote:
Soil.
Rhubarb needs deep, moist but well-drained soil. Before planting, prepare a hole at least 1.5 feet deep and 3 feet wide. Loosen the soil and enrich it with a 6-inch layer of compost. Add a handful of bonemeal if your soil is low in phosphorus.

OTOH
quote:
Site.
Rhubarb thrives in cool locations and full sun. In warmer climates, plants benefit from light shade but form longer, thinner stems.

(from here)
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I can plant in the garden itself. Not everything has to go in pots. Mint does, of course, and I likely will with the other herbs simply for ease of use, but lemongrass or sugarcane or rhubarb can go in the ground.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yep, [Big Grin] I read that article. I've been reading far more about rhubarb than I ever thought I would. [Smile]

See, and it's that phrase "light shade but form longer, thinner stems" that gives me some amount of hope.

Sugarcane is a major crop in India, so I imagine I ought to be able to find it and grow it here. Same as lemongrass.

alluvion
Member # 7462

whoa. So sugercan can be planted... *full stop* weren't we discussing Rutabaga? Can't be well-potted, but if you've got a handy plot of soil, then there's the choise place to seed?

alluvion

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, we get thin rhubarb in the store here. I think it's grown in TX. It is long and thinner than I'm used to, and tends to green with some pink on it and lots of reddish spots, instead of the deep magenta of "real" rhubarb. But you know what? It tastes just the same! [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

I meant "sugercane". My bad.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And "rhubarb"? You know, there's an edit button at the top of your posts. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

kq, that just excites me to no end. I wanted to know if the taste was the same, and there you go, just giving away that information for free before I even get the chance to ask! You're the best! Thanks! Then that eliminates that issue. Now we're down to whether or not it can be grown here.

Rhubarb chutney. Rhubarb jam. Rhubard crisp. Rhubarb syrop. Rhubarb juice. Yum!

Gettin' closer, folks. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, yay! [Big Grin] Glad to help. I've made pie from that rhubarb, and didn't notice a significant difference in the taste, with just a leetle firmer texture, which I think would be eliminated with a little longer cooking time (or maybe pre-cooking for a bit in the case of baked goods.)
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah, and the color change matters not to me at all. I'm surprised about the change in texture - I could have predicted that. Good to know. Thanks. [Smile]

Edit: Er, I'm NOT surprised about the change in texture. Funny how one little word changes the menaing of the whole sentence.

[ May 16, 2005, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
(The gingery rhubarb sauce was delicious. I had it over ice cream last night, and am thinking about having it with yogurt for breakfast. [Smile] )
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Cool! Linky to the recipe? Or is it a part of Theca's link?
ElJay
Member # 6358

Part of Theca's link. [Smile]

I bought strawberries while I was out, too, and will probably make a strawberry-rhubarb tart tonight.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh man! [Frown] We bought strawberries a month or so back, and they were flavorless and sour. Ucky. Apparently, it is possible to get decent strawberries here, but not where we are, it would seem.
rivka
Member # 4859

*whimpers in rhubarb-less jealous agony*

Come to think of it, we're out of strawberries too, but that's easier to fix.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

...where you are. *jealous of CA strawberry goodness* Ours here don't taste right, not to mention being underripe and not even red all over...
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, it's been aeons since I actually got fruit-stand strawberries *mouth waters at the very notion* but yeah, even the supermarkets here get pretty decent strawberries this time of year.

Not so much rhubarb though. [Razz]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

I talked to a couple of women from church today, and the consensus so far is that rhubarb can't be grown in my area - it's just too hot. Although, because I'm the stubborn sort, I'm likely to give it a try anyway if I can get the rhizome. One of the woman I spoke to is helping me on my quest. [Big Grin] I ought to have an address of a seed place by Sunday from her. Oh, the joys of being connected to people in the know!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maybe you could force it in the fridge, then plant it in a giant pot indoors, where it would get some shade? Or make it a tent...
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, that reminds me that I need to replace the rhubarb plant that I killed before my mom notices. Oops...and it was such a nice plant and I really do love rhubarb.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Christy [ROFL] Yeah, good luck! I hope you know which variety she had... (Aw, now I've gone and made you worry. That wasn't nice, was it? *slap*)

kq, I've thought about it, about forcing it in the fridge. The place we're moving to has a much larger fridge, so I might be able to. I'm really not sure.

But I suspect that the rhizomes will be cheap enough that if it doesn't work, I can try again. [Big Grin]

Gee, Eljay, we've completely and totally derailed your thread. There is no redemption!

maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I always fed rhubarb to my goats when well-meaning neighbors brought it over... then there's always Roundup.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Actually, now that I think about it, the goats never liked it much either...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Eek!] You couldn't have fed it to someone who liked it? For shame!
maui babe
Member # 1894

I didn't know anybody who liked it! [Razz]
Makerofthings
Member # 3979

- posted      Profile for Makerofthings   Email Makerofthings         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a recipe we worked up in a restaurant I worked at.

Rhubarb Chicken

Rub whole chicken and roast in oven util done
Remove from oven
Cook a few cups of chpped rhubarb in skillet with about half cup white wine until very soft and
falling apart
Add salt,pepper to taste.
While simmering,scrape the pan drippings and some of the chicken fat into the mixture while whisking.It will emulsify the fat much like a beurre blanc.
You may use butter instead of drippings if you what to use chicken breasts instead.
Serve with chicken.
You don't have to pick ALL the rhubarb,you know. You can just leave it.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I know. But still, I should at least make an effort. [Smile] Thank you, that sounds delicious. Although I will probably be making it with chicken breasts, as a whole chicken is an awful lot.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You could also use thigh/leg quarters with the bones in and get drippings. [Smile]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thighs are yummier anyway.

I am intriguied by savoury rhubarb ideas... Very tempted to make that chicken recipe.

Hmmm.

Wonder if Tony likes rhubarb?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Imogen, you married a man and you don't know how he feels about rhubarb?!?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

See, rivka, my comment was going to be "You've known him for how long and you don't know how he feels about rhubarb?!?
rivka
Member # 4859

Except that I probably have friends that I've known for 20 years whose feelings on rhubarb I may not know.

But she's MARRIED to him!

Makerofthings
Member # 3979

- posted      Profile for Makerofthings   Email Makerofthings         Edit/Delete Post 
Re:Rhubarb Chicken

Make sure you fluff in plenty of drippings or butter as that will make it taste less tart. A pinch of cardamom is nice also.
Yes to roasted thighs.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Aw, NUTS! I knew I forgot something just now at the supermarket.

I would have noticed if they'd had fresh rhubarb. But I forgot to check for frozen.

Maybe I'll get to TJ's on Friday . . .

ElJay
Member # 6358

Rhubarb.

The harvest.

For Enigmatic.

For kq.

For JNSB.

For me.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww! How sweet! Rhubarb Lincoln Logs! Thanks, ElJay, that made my day. [Kiss]

And made me envious.

rivka
Member # 4859

*drools*
quidscribis
Member # 5124

rivka, you might want to think about getting that leak of yours fixed. [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Eljay, that's a whole lotta rhubard. And you've got waaaaay too much time on your hands! [ROFL]
rivka
Member # 4859

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Tie large bundles of it around your body when putt-putting on yer hawg.
Then all them folks pokin' fun at yer garb might shame ya into investing in a set of leathers.

[ May 18, 2005, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quids, in my defense, it did take me a couple of days to finish it. [Smile] The only thing that took any time was stacking the silly things, and I actually had it two higher and it fell over before I could take a picture. Couldn't get it any higher than that again.

Added: And the tart only took, like, a sixth of what I picked. I do have some chicken quarters in the fridge, maybe that will be dinner tonight...

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always loved rhubarb pie - no strawberries, just the tartness. Serve it with vanilla ice cream to offset it, and it's the perfect Katie dessert.

I'm so sad I didn't see this thread earlier. Any chance to swipe some fresh rhubarb? Will pay shipping. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, Eljay, I just thought it was funny and cute. You know. That log house thingy is like something I would do, you see... The pie, on the other hand, just looked downright nummy. Mmm!
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.