FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Back from my weekend, OSC book signing, Braves games, and I’m real now!

Author Topic: Back from my weekend, OSC book signing, Braves games, and I’m real now!
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve been out of town and had very limited internet and time. This has kind of been my view for a lot of the weekend: http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/176/picture0294oc.jpg OK, I was bored and playing in the car. But I guess most of the time I was in a lot heaver traffic.
Thursday I got to the book signing in Charlotte: http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/5830/picture0304hq.jpg
His talk of course was great, as usual. Talked about the two more Ender books, “Shadow in Flight” and “Ender in Exile”. The two more Women in Genesis books. Of course talked about “Master Alvin”. And the two more past watch books. One about the flood and one about the garden of Eden. Also mentioned an “Advent Rising” book. Don’t think there was any breaking news. Talked about his new magazine, which sounds like it’ll be interesting.
It was pretty neat. I was last in line since I didn’t want to stand on my bad foot in the long line and just waited in a chair nearby.
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/8043/picture0312bs.jpg
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9196/picture0329sj.jpg
Turned out to be the best thing since I had a great conversation with him and got all of my big pile of books signed: http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/1008/picture0332sq.jpg So that was really great. Got him to say “Wow” again to another old book I had (Ainge). Always a goal of mine at a book signing. So a highly successful book signing. My 5th.
I’m almost out of room in OSC book case: http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6290/picture0594oh.jpg
Also, I officially became real since Kristine also came along for the trip. Coo! It feels good to be real! He really did a good job of personalizing a book for another fellow Hatracker. She’ll be thrilled. I’m packing it up today to mail today.

After that I drove to Atlanta.
So…. Got to stay with my friend Brandon and his family. Not sure they’ll let me watch their daughter again since I let her go up a rock wall: http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/935/picture0371dl.jpg Ok, ok, we had dad’s approval. She’s nine and calls me Uncle Jay. She got to the top and outdid most of the kids who were attempting the climb. Also got her one of the kid books signed by OSC (personalized too!).
Friday evening went to a Braves Pirates game with my friends Anna and Aaron: http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/7753/picture0431kh.jpg Anna is around 7 months pregnant. Doing well and very excited about being a mom. It was great to see them.
Saturday I went to round 2 of the Braves Pirates game with Brandon and family: http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/5595/picture0472sd.jpg Had some upper deck seats: http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/3075/picture0537ex.jpg Not to bad, and a lot of fun.
Horrible drive on the way home though. Was driving for more then 12 hours. Argh. There was a multi car pile up on I-85 in South Carolina. They detoured us along a county road and slowly got us back on the interstate, which was again backed up. So* I sat in traffic for well over two hours.
Whew…. What a weekend. Now I’m trying to catch up and this week is the Taylor County Fair where I’m running the Taylor County Republican Executive Committee booth. Fun! When can I just be un-busy?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I am coveting that bookcase.

Congratulations on all of the above! What are the two women that are being added to the Women of Genesis series? I love those books - they are among my favorites.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you take that picture while driving? [No No]

Man, I only have a shelf of OSC books, I've got some catching up to do! [Razz]

Sounds like a good time, I'd love to be able to go to an OSC signing.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Talked about the two more Ender books, “Shadow in Flight” and “Ender in Exile”. The two more Women in Genesis books. Of course talked about “Master Alvin”. And the two more past watch books. One about the flood and one about the garden of Eden. Also mentioned an “Advent Rising” book. Don’t think there was any breaking news. Talked about his new magazine, which sounds like it’ll be interesting.
Did OSC say in what order he was going to write these books? Which is next?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

I didn’t get those titles. Something more with Rachel and another with Jacob in the title. Not sure. Sorry…. I was getting my pencil out to write things down since so much was coming out and well, ya know.

Take the pic while driving? There’s not much to driving on an empty straight stretch of interstate. Heck, give me the West Virginia curves and then yell at me about doing stuff! I did see a bumper sticker that said: “Hang up and Drive” so I couldn't resist putting my cell phone up like I was talking as I passed. I know, shame on me. But come on, you gotta have a little fun as you drive.

Ooie… I don’t remember an order given. Though he did say the Eden Pastwatch would be last since it will offend everyone.

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Man that sounds like an awesome time! and ditto katherina on the bookcase. Dude, I'm going to have to get to another braves game. haven't been for probably six years, and i live in georgia! that last pic of you with the field in the background was incredible.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Thirded about coveting the bookcase *drools*
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Jay -- you've finally figured out what it is going to take for you to get a girl..

..just invite them over to see your bookcase, and the drooling starts..

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
You went to a Braves game and rooted for the Pirates??? *shakes head* So, so sad. [Wink]

(Sorry, I'm a big Braves fan and couldn't resist.)

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an insane bookcase. I wish I had half that. You must have payed for OSC's dinner a few times with all that money that went to him.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I counted three copies of Lost Boys. That's a great collection!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Wow… now I just need a local OSC chick and I’ll be set. If I could only get that Jedi mind trick down…. . For some reason it seems like most girls just give a raised eyebrow of confusion about the bookshelf. Guess the very few who have seen it…..

Well, I wore my Pirates stuff, but know they are horrible. Lloyd is the worst manager in baseball, but keeps his job for some reason. For example, top of the ninth, bases loaded, down by one, who do you put in? You’re changing the line up for your pitch hitter. So let’s see… someone good right? With a good batting average? Ha! No. The idiot put in one of our worst batters. Oh well. I did the tomahawk chop and cheered for all good plays. But figured they didn’t have a chance. I am hopeful they go to the World Series now and win, that way I can say I saw a World Series Champ play.

Yeah, I do love that pic. I should have been a photographer. I really like do views like that. Here’s what I was really after:
http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/9357/picture0541vt.jpg
http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/8738/picture0554qc.jpg
That’s my friend Brandon and his kids. I guess I really wanted more of the pitcher’s mound in the pic. But it’s still an awesome way to do a pic.

I figure a few more books and I’ll have Puppy’s student loans all paid off. ;-)

Those three copies of Lost Boys include 2 advanced proofs. For some reason they made an advance of the paperback. Thought that was different. I really am struggling to find more room in there with each additional book or find. I’d like to see the Card house bookshelf. That might be what it would take to complete the collection!

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
What are the two women that are being added to the Women of Genesis series? I love those books - they are among my favorites.

No, no more women -- two more books. Wives of Israel and another whose title I forget. All about Jacob's wives. (OSC specifically said at the signing I was at a few weeks ago that he will not be doing any books on additional women.)

Jay, how did you get Kristine to agree to be in the picture? *jealous*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Yeah, Wives of Israel and I think the last was going to be Rachel and Jacob. I think….
Maybe the whole list can be added to the “Works in Progress” http://www.hatrack.com/osc/bibliography/index.shtml#progress Maybe with estimated dates and the order that is planned (subject to major change of course).

Kristine wasn’t going to at first, but a little urging from Scott as proof that I became real.

Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was last in line since I didn’t want to stand on my bad foot in the long line and just waited in a chair nearby.
Aha! I thought that might have been you! [Smile]

I got there a little late, so I missed a lot of OSC's talk. [Frown] I had to wait for my Dad to get home from work, and then it was a little over a 2 hour drive. But at least I got to come! I even got a head-squish picture! When I asked him for a head-squish, he laughed and started pondering the origin of the head-squish pictures. How did those get started? Does anyone *really* know?

So...if I met OSC, and *saw* a fellow hatracker...does that make me real now?

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

What's a head-squish picture?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll put mine up when I get my film developed, but it's a picture with OSC giving a hatracker a head-squish. I know there's several around here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to search for them. [Wink]

quote:
I’m almost out of room in OSC book case: http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6290/picture0594oh.jpg
Ummmm...nice rack? [Razz]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think they started with Amka, at the first signing I ever went to.
Jay
Member # 5786

Here's the Moose family head squish:
http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=026677;p=6#000261

Thanks Eruve, I was hoping I had a good rack!
By the way, didn't you say hi to Kristine in her chair next to Scott? If so meeting Kristine makes you real, or so I've heard. I think to become real the rule is that you have to meet two real Hatrackers. So once I meet Kristine I became real. I tired to search for the official rules of Hatrack realness, but I guess I didn’t have the correct key words. I’m sure one of the elders will have it handy.

kojabu
Member # 8042

New goal: become real.

Some of those head squishes are pretty funny. I like the expressions on OSC's face.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a pic with him in Boston, and had a great conversation wiht him while he was signing my books, and a great conversation wiht Kristine afterwards....

But I forgot to ask for a head squishy pic...mabe next time!

[Big Grin]

Jay, gald you are real now...now we just have to get you to get real with you politics... [Big Grin]

[Wink]

Honest, that is a great OSC collection. I have about half that many...have you read Heart's Hope?

I even have a first edition Songmaster, in paperback. I got it at a garage sale 10 years ago...it is almost falling apart thoguh, so it isn't really worth much.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

So* what does getting a squishy head pic make you?

I am real with politics! I'm really right! ;-)

Yes, I've read Heart's Hope. Excellent. Then again I'm not sure I've read an OSC book I didn't think was excellent.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jay:
So* what does getting a squishy head pic make you?

Crumpled?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Unfortunately, I didn't talk to Kristine. [Frown] I juat didn't have the nerve. As it was, I barely had the guts to ask for the head-squish picture. I mean seriously, what would I say? "Hi, I'm Eruve from hatrack....I've heard a lot of great things about you...."
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Eruve Nandiriel:
Unfortunately, I didn't talk to Kristine. [Frown] I just didn't have the nerve. As it was, I barely had the guts to ask for the head-squish picture. I mean seriously, what would I say? "Hi, I'm Eruve from hatrack....I've heard a lot of great things about you...."

Yes! Say exactly that! Kristine is such a sweetheart. I was rather bummed she didn't come out to L.A. with Scott this time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.