FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Women. How do I deal with them? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Women. How do I deal with them?
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Emily Bronte too. I'm a sensitive guy and all, but those books were poorly written in my opinion.

EDIT: And I still need advice where to meet said girls. Talking to girls in class is super awkward, and I don't see many girls out reading around campus.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you at college? If so, cafes, coffeeshops, that sort of thing. I'm in high school, so my advice on this point isn't perfect, but I've spent too much time with my friends at their universities not to have picked a few things up.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Do I have to drink coffee? If so, no dice.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Order hot chocolate and pretend it's coffee. Or order tea and act haughty and British. Call coffee the opiate of the masses.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I think you're on to something with the hot chocolate and calling coffee the opiate of the masses.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
My drink when I need to hang out at a coffee shop is typically a steamer. It's steamed milk like they'd put in a cappacino (or latte or whatever, I don't know) but without the coffee. Often available in different flavors.

--Enigmatic
(just don't order the Cleveland)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I don't like milk really (not lactose intolerant, just haven't been able to stand milk ever since I was an infant). Also, I got the Cleveland joke/reference. *shudder*
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you should avoid publicly disdaining coffee until you know that the lady in question is not a coffee aficionado. I rather doubt snubbing her preferred beverage would endear you to her. [Wink]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WntrMute
Member # 7556

- posted      Profile for WntrMute           Edit/Delete Post 
Bitter? Moi? Nooooooo, an acrimonious divorce and subsequent breakups could never do that.

Anyhow, it's been statistically demonstrated that, as it applies to men, wealth IS attractiveness. I didn't make it up, and it isn't just the bitterness. Though, to be sure, there is a little bitterness in it. Just a bit of bitter.

The total bitterness overload is when I say that you are better off in all ways without.

THAT'S bitter.

And for you fellas battin' for the other team, you're better off without a guy, too.

I'm just sayin'.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
This is part of my problem.

How can I be me, when I'm supposed to be something else to be 'attractive'.

I hate this damn game, and this hate is the very reason why I don't even try anymore.

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I know the feeling. I was talking to Amanecer about this last night, and I said there are rules to this game and I don't particularly want to play by those rules. I don't like the game and just wished everything was a lot simpler and a lot more honest.
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Different things are attractive to different people.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't it wonderful how we know each other so much and how wonderful of a comunity we are? Everybody likes everybody in here. Ah, I wonder if anyone has any secret crushes on another Hatracker.

EDIT: *sips* Yeah, I hate coffee so I go with Green, English Breakfast and Earl Grey Teas instead. [Big Grin] Does this make my binary identity any more intresting? I wonder...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I don't think I know anyone well enough to have secret crushes. I will agree that it's a good community though.
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
No, no, pfresh. The appropriate response to Altariel is, "How, YOU doin'?" [Wink]

Edit: Seriously, though. I think learning to be casually flirtatious, no pressure, can help. But it can also lead to causing girls to have crushes on you. So perhaps if you use this policy, only "casually flirt" with girls you wouldn't mind pursuing something with. Hmmm, maybe that doesn't work so well....

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

bev, I'm not Joey from Friends, although sometimes I wish I was. [Big Grin] As for being "casually fliratious," I'm not sure I know how to do that.
beverly
Member # 6246

I'm not sure either, to be honest. Not that it matters, since I am happily married. [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
thinking about being on a college campus, but not seeing many young women reading books... OK that's kinda weird
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Maybe I'm just not going to the right places? [Confused]
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can see this thread is already longer than the "Men, how do I deal with them?" thread. Does that mean women are harder to deal with?

Or do men just whine more? [Big Grin]

(I didn't even read the whole thread guys, just kidding with you)
maybe.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I whine more than most men. I admit it. I'm a whineaholic. I'm addicted to whineahol. [Big Grin]
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this one has gone longer because it's asking about the general case, and the dealing with men thread was actually about a specific example.

Oops, that was too serious. Umm... women are crazy and men are dumb?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed.
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
Ah, I wonder if anyone has any secret crushes on another Hatracker.

About 10 minutes ago, I'd have to say I don't but since then I've read a landmark and I've changed my mind. [Wink]

Okay, not really a crush; I don't work that way. He just got my attention. [Razz]

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Wow. That has got to be the best publicity for a landmark I've ever seen. [Wink]

(Got me to take a peek. [Smile] )

human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Why hasn't anyone mentioned going to the gym and getting buff? [Wink]

Seriously. What Uhleeuh just said. Catching someone's attention is remarkably easy if you practice.

Oh, and a lot of people hide the fact that you have their attention. I can't count the number of times I've fallen for girls and thus became more distant.

The other ingredient I would say is required is access. If you have no way to regularly meet, then nothing will happen.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The two problems I have are getting their attention and then having access to them in the first place. With getting their attention, it's hard because I've been told I come off aloof because I'm quiet, I don't smile readily, and my body language is "defensive." As for access, I just don't go out to places to meet women that much (or at all).
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with wealth. But maybe I'm just sick of ex-boyfriends who owe me significant amounts of money.

And jebus, you're plenty hot just the way you are. [Wink] *sidles over*

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I hate Jane Austen....
Woah. Back this bus up. You hate Jane Austen? But, but, but... Pride and Prejudice, man! It's a textbook example of "the novel"TM, climaxes happen as they should almost to the page. Nevermind that Elizabeth Bennet is the poster girl for implicit trust in a narrator. And the book is witty and intelligent on the side.

Clearly your troubles with women are just a symptom of deeper problems with respect to your tastes in literature.

Next you're going to tell me that your favorite ninja turtle was Michelangelo.

Although, to your credit, if you can't be gay there are a lot of women who may dedicate themselves to making you like Jane Austen. Interesting angle you've got going there...

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
raventh1
Member # 3750

- posted      Profile for raventh1           Edit/Delete Post 
I hit on a lady at the library, She was at the banned books portion.

Okay, I didn't really hit on her, I just talked to her a bit about books and oh no the internet. I really just stated that banning books really doesn't do anything these days, with the internet you can read things online, or buy from anywhere and have it shipped.
They didn't have any buttons with any 'cool' quotes, and I briefly looked around, and went about my library business.
I probably came off as a complete goon. However I did notice she watched me as I went up the stairs all the way up to the third floor...

But, I don't play games, and I don't really want a game relationship, in fact I don't really want a relationship. Probably just a friendship. Yet, I don't want to close the door on a relationship either, except with my experience it's unlikely to be able to go from a friendship to a relationship.

Yeah, I'm dumb about relationships just like everyone else. [Smile]

Posts: 1132 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I just fail to see the point in pretending to be what I am not just to atract a person.
My real self will come out anyway. Might as well warn the people about what they will get.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ivanna Mann
Member # 8694

- posted      Profile for Ivanna Mann           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
. . .I'm quiet, I don't smile readily, and my body language is "defensive."

This may sound weird, but I'm perfectly serious. This is something you can do something about, and I believe it will help you, and not just with girls. Practice smiling. It'll feel really unnatural at first, because it will be, but keep it up. Smile at yourself in the mirror every morning after you brush your teeth. Make it a point to smile for no reason at least five times during the day, preferably when you're out in public. Try to remember to smile every time you make eye contact with someone, and not just pretty girls. In fact, it'll probably be easier if you start with people substantially older than yourself, so there's less risk. you're not trying to pick anyone up, you're just being friendly.

Keep doing it until it's second nature to smile. Being quiet is fine, and you don't need to try to change that, but I bet as you get more used to smiling your body language will open up a little, too.

Anyway, eye contact and a smile is the best way there is to get people to smile back at you, and that's the first step towards meeting people. Start there. See how it goes. Don't worry about talking to a girl or asking her out. . . if there's a great opportunity, sure, take it, but for now just work on getting "happy" as your default expression, and try to get people to smile back at you. I think you'll find it makes a difference, both in meeting people and in your outlook on life. [Smile]

[Big Grin] <-- Big smile.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
raventh1-- *slap* You ARE attractive the way you are. Promise. [Wink] Or have you forgotten what I told you at WenchCon II? Had I been unattached and, oh, ten to fifteen years younger... [Wink]

You just haven't met the right girl yet.

Mute- this may sound weird, but I don't get the 'wealth' thing. I mean, I grew up in modest living arrangements (my dad was a sargeant in the Army). I went to college on scholarships, to a real 'Biff and Muffy' school.

And when some guy tried to impress me with his BMW, instead of being attracted... I generally found ways to utterly humiliate his @$$.

Wealth wasn't what I was after, and while I might be the only woman who ever felt that way, I kinda doubt it.

I always intended to support myself. If I was suddenly widowed or something, that's what I'd do. I have career status with the feds, I could go back and make enough to support my family.

I cannot imagine eliminating potential friends or whatever, based on their bank accounts. I find the idea repulsive.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Oh, and pfresh... do you have a job? See, I was thinking that the teenaged boys around here who WORK in the coffee shops and hang outs are often ideally placed to meet lots of girls.

If you're a waiter or something, then you HAVE to talk to them to do you job, even if it's just "What can I get for you Ladies?"

That kind of 'safe' exposure should help you untie your tongue. It may take a month or two, but you'll get used to it and begin to relax a bit.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I can't count the number of times I've fallen for girls and thus became more distant
I'm sensing a flaw in the plan here.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

In regards to the smiling thing, it is very unnatural and maybe it does take practice. As for the "defensive" body language, most of that (I'm told) is the fact that I cross my arms when I'm standing around. I do that though because it's a more comfortable position for my arms (rather than just leaving them hanging at my side). I'll try though. No guarantees.

With respect to a job, I don't have one. School consumes most of my time when it's in session, and when it's out of session I can't get a job (apparently working at Baylor College of Medicine when you're in high school scares potential employers). If I had a job (particularly a waiter job or something of that nature), I could see it forcing me to be at least somewhat more social.

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that advice, IM. [Smile] I try to remember to do that, but am not always successful.

I have some additional advice:

Focus on getting yourself sorted out. If you can get to a place where you're happy* with yourself and your circumstances, that will show. I think that to maintain a healthy relationship you need to be healthy yourself. It's okay for your significant other to support you emotionally, but you never want that person to become a crutch.

I also think you're starting with the wrong premise: "I want a relationship." If you come at it from this perspective you're likely to fall head over heels for the first girl who gives you the time of day, even if she's completely wrong for you. What you want to do is meet women. Maybe you want to date some of them, and ultimately wind up in a relationship with one, but the meeting part comes first. Take it one step at a time.

If you get nervous and awkward around new people, the solution to this problem is to put yourself in situations where you have to interact with new people. Olivet's advice is sound. [Smile] You'll find that people -- and, in particular, women -- aren't terrifying at all! [Big Grin]

Added: Oh, yeah. Don't forget that there are awesome women all over the place. [Smile]

*Note: "Happy with yourself and your circumstances" does not mean that you don't still have self-improvement goals! Having goals is really important. [Smile] But you can be happy with yourself even if there are things you'd like to change.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Another note:

Cuddling/Snuggling from women may not always = Romantic Interest.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Something of a mixed signal then.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

Got that right.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
Yet still we wonder why no one has any clue what is going on.
Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amateur Lyricist
Member # 8698

- posted      Profile for Amateur Lyricist   Email Amateur Lyricist         Edit/Delete Post 
She’s there.
Right there.
Right where you wanted her to be.

In your arms,
In your eyes,
And you, you think, you hope, are there in hers.

But are things as they now appear to be?
Why can't things seem the way they are?
It’s hard to tell.
It’s hard to know.
It’s hard to see what’s there and what is here.
Right here.
In my heart.
And what exists in this reality.

There’s a smile.
Then a glance.
Do they pierce or are they surface deep?

You don’t know.
Can’t know.
You want to ask, but then again no you don’t.

On your end It seems it may be one
But on hers something else entirely.
It’s hard to tell.
It’s hard to know.
It’s hard to see what’s there and what is here.
Right here.
In my heart.
And what exists in this reality.

From one week.
To one night.
God, for once, please let me be right.

But if I’m not
Then let it Be.
Your will is mine or soon I’ll make it be.

Some day I’ll know
Why you answer no
Right now it’s just so hard to understand.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the cuddling thing is true sometimes. Sometimes, we use cuddling in the hopes that we'll get physically close enough for us to be able to make a move. Because when your faces are already close together, it's so much easier to lean a few inches over and steal a kiss.

Then again, sometimes we cuddle with our male friends because it's comfy.

We're a confusing bunch, aren't we? [Razz]

Oh, and breaking yourself of the crossed arms habit definitely takes some conscious effort. I usually like to be holding something in one hand so that it's more difficult to cross my arms. That's one of the reasons I drink so much diet soda at concerts.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:

Some helpful advice:

1). Listen to what she has to say, don't just talk about yourself. If you get her talking about her interests, you'll be able to see whether you have anything in common, and go from there.

2). If what she says sounds like the most idiotic thing you've ever heard, let it go. No matter how cute she is, if you can't respect her opinions it will not end well.

3). If she spends all her time with you mooning about some other guy and saying what a good friend you are, face up to the fact that you are not even an 'also ran' and get on with your life.

4). Learning to communicate with the opposite sex is hard. She may not actually be saying what you think you heard, and she may not be hearing what you think you said. Trust me on that one.

Olivia says it like it is, folks. These are Words of Truth. Take 'em to heart.
Olivet
Member # 1104

Yeah, and we'll cuddle with guy friends who are 'safe' just because.

In college, there was this guy names Scotty that I always greeted with a hug. We danced at the school dances. He was cute and sweet and probably gay (I think he had a thing for one of my ex boyfriends... I let him use some pictures i had of the guy for a prank. I got all the blame, though.)

Anyway, one evening I came into the cafeteria and saw Scotty (with his back to me) at the Salad Bar. The lighting was dim, but the vaguely puffy shape and light brown/dark blond curls were there.

I ran up to him from behind, threw my arms around him and put my head on his shoulder and said, "Aw, Scotty, I've had a HORRIBLE day!"

It wasn't Scotty. I cringed and appologized, explaining that I thought he was somebody else (I thought the shoulder had been a little high...).

"I didn't mind at all," quoth the leering heterosexual.

*MEEP* That did not improve my day AT ALL.

I lost touch with Scotty, because he didn't come back the next year. [Frown] I really liked him. But not, you know, THAT way.

I've also been similarly friendly with guys I thought were gay, only to find out they were not gay and liked me. Which made me feel horrible. Edit: because I never wanted to mislead anyone, or be a tease.

Further Edit: Thank you, Taalcon. [Blushing]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys you like to cuddle with but have no feelings for are, quite simply, dicks in a glass case. Break in case of emergency. So says Chris Rock (more or less).
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
You females confuse me yet attract me. I can't interact well with any of you though. So tell me, how do I deal with women?

(Note: This is partly meant as a parody of the other thread and partly serious. Reply to whichever part you like.)

The Ladder Theory is your friend!
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go:

How to Pick Up Women

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And jebus, you're plenty hot just the way you are. *sidles over*
Oh wow, ummm, jeez... ::reads Olivet's list::

Wanna have sex?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the ladder.

At least in my case, it is not a money thing. It's a confidence thing. Men are attractive when they are happy with what they do and are good at it. One side effect of this is (often) money.

Bonus advice: Do not try this pick-up line.

"Geez, Kate, you're not getting any younger."

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.