FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, seriously, what is intrinsically wrong with people using the word 'symbology'? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, seriously, what is intrinsically wrong with people using the word 'symbology'?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
FC, anyone? I don't get it. If people are using the word correctly, I don't understand why this would upset someone.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* Because I think Dan Brown is a travesty of a writer, and I wish that "cromulent", for instance, were more popular in its place. Do you seriously not understand this?

I'm being snobbish about writing. Surely, surely, of all people, you can understand that.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Plus Willem Dafoe will start teasing you to no end if you do say symbology.

[ July 26, 2006, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be a distinguished professor of thoughtology.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang. I answered that, and the thread was deleted.

Squicky, no one is saying the word is made up. I specifically said that was not what we were saying. NOT made up. REAL word.

HOWEVER, it is a word popularized by a piece of crappy fiction.

The issue was not that the woman used a word that was incorrect. (again, note the use of the word NOT here, that you missed in the last thread... NOT incorrect). The issue is that the woman would never have used that word had she not been influenced by garbage writing, in particular garbage writing by a hack named Dan Brown.

So, to sum up. Symbology = real word. Use of symbology = influenced by bad pop culture. Dan Brown = hack.

Understand?

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have problem with Symbology. It's greek, through and through. It has a clear sense.

I grimace when I see "Sociology."

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Ben,
But here's the thing, from the thread that kat deleted. Symbology is a legitimate word, but it doesn't mean the same thing as symbolism. So, using that way makes you look stupid.

kat started out with saying something like:
"A co-worker of mine was telling me about her trip to the Jefferson building and talked about the symbology of the lobby.

<hear no evil, etc. smilely>

Thank you Dan Brown.<wry>"

I don't get what is wrong about the first part. kat didn't seem to know the definition of symbology - I believe her exact quote, when presented with the OED definition that fit that usage was "The OED is wrong.", which I figure is why she deleted it, but other people came in and agreed with her.

FC said something like "Dan Brown injected the word into the public consciousness. Without his writing, regular people wouldn't use it."

I don't see why this would be a problem, or true for that matter. I knew what symbology meant. It's entirely possible that the tour guide used the word as part of his talk.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Squicky, is this your way of telling us that you're a... *gasp* a symbologist?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
kat didn't seem to know the definition of symbology - I believe her exact quote, when presented with the OED definition that fit that usage was "The OED is wrong."
[ROFL] I do this exact same thing.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
The issue is that the woman would never have used that word had she not been influenced by garbage writing
I don't think that's true.

Were I in that situation, that's likely the word I would use, whether when acting as a tour guide or telling someone about my experience later.

katharina
Member # 827

Squicky, you have to get over this obsession. You pay more attention to me than I do. Which is quite an accomplishment.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

That's right Tom. I'm closing in on the horrifying mysteries contained in the painting of dogs playing poker that will expose the Westminster Dog Show people for the world-dominating colossus that they are. Be careful though, the last five people I told of my work to went on to develop an allergy to cats.

edited for spelling

[ July 26, 2006, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

katharina
Member # 827

Squicky, seriously, you missed the point of the story, and you have also sucked all my fun out of telling it. I wish you would stop following me around desperate for a chance to comment on my words. It's icky.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

You know, that would probably be a much better book.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

The clues are all around us. Lassie and Rin-Tin-Tin. The inexplicable popularity of the "Air Bud" movies. They really shot Old Yeller to shut him up. And what the heck is Goofy anyway?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, seriously, what is intrinsically wrong with people using the word 'symbology'?
quote:
The word “symbology” appears in several English dictionaries[1] and can mean:

1. the art of expression by symbols
2. the study of the interpretation of symbols
3. a system of symbols

However, in popular culture there is some ambiguity as to the meaning of this word.

The Da Vinci Code

Symbology is the fictional academic discipline pursued by the hero of Dan Brown's novels, The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. The hero, Robert Langdon, is supposed to be a professor of "symbology" at Harvard.

Karen L. King, Winn Professor of Ecclesiastical History at Harvard, called "symbology" a nonexistent field, and noted that the closest field, semiology, is unrepresented at Harvard[2]

Boondock Saints

In the film Boondock Saints, the urbane FBI agent Paul Smecker, played by Willem Dafoe, chastises a police detective he is working with for using the word symbology. The implication is that he is irked by the officer's statement because he sees symbology as a malapropism for the word symbolism. The dialogue is as follows:

Police detective: "So, What's the symbology there?"

Smecker: "Symbology?...Now that Duffy has relinquished his king bonehead crown, I see we have an heir to the throne. I'm sure the word you were looking for was symbolism. What is the symbolism there?"

Apparently, the film is pointing out a popular usage problem with the word symbology, which has not yet been recognized by dictionary editors. [Emphasis added.]

Link
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
BALEETED!

It just had to be said.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, The DaVinci Code. That was a fun read.

So really, y'all (or Katharina) are just annoyed by hearing a word that reminds you of a bad writer? [Wink]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, would this thread have been created if the original had been started by anybody other than kat?

Who wants to argue that it would have?

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Of course it would have. Of course, most other people wouldn't have deleted the thread, so I guess it probably wouldn't have actually.

There was still an active conversation going on. As FC said
quote:
Dang. I answered that, and the thread was deleted.
I never got to see that response and I was interested in it. So I posted this thread.

Also, unless things have changed around here, deleting threads that other people have contributed to isn't generally accepted without negative comment. As far as I recall, that's considered pretty bad manners. So, it served that purpose as well.

Do you have a problem with either of these two things, Icky?

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree it isn't good manners. I have deleted a thread once that I remember, and it was because I got heated and posted some information that was confidential, and then it got quoted so I couldn't just edit my post, there were other posts involved.

Kat has deleted a thread once when I was in the middle of replying, and then you get that error message - very annoying. I do think that unless it's completely unavoidable for a reason like the one I had (and I did apologize to the other posters in a separate thread) a thread that is active shouldn't be deleted. It seems to me like starting a conversation with a group of people then not only walking out of the room without finishing, but forcing everyone else to leave too. But then again, that is just how I look at it, and if kat looks at threads as something she created and considers them disposable, then perhaps she doesn't think it rude.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Jon Boy,
I agree that people using the word symbology incorrectly is somewhat annoying. In this case, it looked like people were objecting to it being used at all.

However, it looks like the problem is that, in their mind, it is inextricably linked with Dan Brown and they don't like Dan Brown.

It seems kinda silly to me, but different strokes.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

It doesn't seem silly to me to dislike a word that has been popularized by a piece of hack writing, especially when the usage is questionable—and even more so when the hack writer didn't even really use it correctly. As it stated in the link I posted, "symbology" really should be "semiology," and even then, Robert Langdon was apparently more of an art historian than a semiologist. So that just makes it use (and misuse) even more annoying.

But, like you said, different strokes.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Jon Boy,
I'm not disagreeing about Dan Brown not using it correctly.

But when you're talking about the symbols contained in something like art in a lobby, I think symbology is one of the best words to use. Semiotics doesn't fit as well because it carries the idea of academic study.

Why do you think the use here would be questionable? What word do you think would be a better fit?

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I don't like it when threads get deleted.

I just wonder at your vehemence over this issue, in this and the original thread.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

What vehemence?

edit: You know what. Don't bother. I don't care.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Jon Boy,
I'm not disagreeing about Dan Brown not using it correctly.

But when you're talking about the symbols contained in something like art in a lobby, I think symbology is one of the best words to use. Semiotics doesn't fit as well because it carries the idea of academic study.

Why do you think the use here would be questionable?

Because "symbology" seems to connote "field of study," even if the denotative definition significantly overlaps that of "symbolism."

Also, in this example it seems likely that the speaker was using it just because they'd read it in The Da Vinci Code and thought it sounded good. Of course, that's an attribution of motive that I can't really back up. However, that link points out that there seems to be a usage problem when "symbology" is used where "symbolism" would normally be preferred.

quote:
What word do you think would be a better fit?
"Symbolism."
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
I want to be a distinguished professor of thoughtology.

I will be a student of tautology.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What vehemence?

edit: You know what. Don't bother. I don't care.

[ROFL]
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Jon Boy,
It doesn't really overlap with symbolism. It's the art, use, or study of symbolism.

Maybe I have a significantly different background than other people, but I'm used to symbology being used in this way. If someone were talking about the symbolism of the lobby, to me, that would imply that the lobby itself was symbolic of something, rather than it contained many pieces of art, architechture, or some other aspects that were themselves symbolic. Am I alone in seeing it that way?

Also, considering that the 'symbology' quote came from a movie that came out in 1999 and The DaVinci Code came out in 2003, I don't think this putative problem originated with the book.

aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"So, seriously, what is intrinsically wrong with people using the word 'symbology'?"

With such symbologicalizationalism I will not up with fish.
-- Salvador Churchill

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
Also, considering that the 'symbology' quote came from a movie that came out in 1999 and The DaVinci Code came out in 2003, I don't think this putative problem originated with the book.
Yes, but the movie was mocking the use of the word, and the book embraced it. Plus, the book used the word far more often and had a wider audience.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Icky's right.

Mr. Squicky, I will never notice you. Stop begging for my attention. It's fifth grade, and it's pathetic.

I deleted the original thread because sometimes the only way to remove a stalker is to get out of their way. It's awful and I resent it, but I'd rather delete the thread than endure more of Squicky picking at me in a desperate bid for validation.

Is that what you need? My approval? Fine.

"Yes, you are smrt, smrt person. And you smell nice."

Can you leave me alone now?

katharina
Member # 827

Blech - never mind. I take back the statement in quotes. I feel like I need a shower now. *shiver*
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Princess, the only one talking about you is you.

Since you seem to have trouble with definitions: drama queen.

katharina
Member # 827

But you just can't help yoursel from obsessing...
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

FC,
If we lived in an alternate universe where Dan Brown didn't write The DaVinci Code and instead was a plumber, would you have a problem with someone using the word 'symbology'?

My understanding here is that the whole thing with 'symbology' is that people don't like Dan Brown, but I'm just checking to see if taking him out of the picture changes things.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
FC,
If we lived in an alternate universe where Dan Brown didn't write The DaVinci Code and instead was a plumber, would you have a problem with someone using the word 'symbology'?

If we lived in that world, only a minute portion of its population would ever use the word. Similarly, if we lived in a world without Tolkien, someone could call something "my precious" and still mean "my thing of value" - without that person being labeled as a Tolkien fan. It's just that such phrasology would be used far less often.

Also, if we lived in that world and if it was used meaning "the study or use of symbols" - rather than "the meaning behind these symbols" - I likely wouldn't have a problem with it.

As it is, "symbology" has become a meme spread far and wide that lends some sort of high academic value to finding hidden secretive meaning behind icons used in paintings. Before Dan Brown, the "symbology" meme was rarely seen, and it either had the dictionary definition of any other "-ology" or some reference to its incorrectly being used for "symbolism" in Boondock Saints.

Its greater widespread use is linked directly to a hack, and so every time I hear it, I am reminded of said hack. Just as every time I hear the word "futile" (pronounced with a hard "i") I think of Star Trek.

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a pretty is a pretty intense argument, but I'll input my opinion anyways. I've never read The DaVinci Code, so I'm not familiar with Dan Brown or his hackiness. My problem with symbology is that it is often used incorrectly, as the reference to the Boon Dock Saints indicates.

Regardless of who made up what profession for the character in their novel, incorrect usage of words is annoying, and I have often thought that eliminating the word 'symbology' all together would prevent far more people from using it incorrectly than people from using it correctly.

Doubtless this would cause all sorts of problems in whatever field of study MrSquicky works in, but that is a consequence that I, personally, would not regret, so long as it facilitates the intelligent speaking of morons everywhere.

Also, I find it amusing that my spellcheck is insisting the 'symbology' is not, in fact, a word.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As it is, "symbology" has become a meme spread far and wide
Not THAT wide. I've never heard the word before. My first reaction to the previous thread was thinking that the person just got the word wrong, and so I was wondering what the big deal was. I sometimes say weird combos of two words when I'm speaking, so mistaking "symbology" for "symbolism" seems like a normal thing to me (i.e., I could imagine myself saying it in a similar circumstance, even without knowing it's a real word and being entirely unfamiliar with Dan Brown's works, other than he wrote this book called The DaVinci Code).
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

And now, the meme has spread to you. I apologize for propogating it further.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Jon Boy,
It doesn't really overlap with symbolism. It's the art, use, or study of symbolism.

Aren't you the one who appealed to the OED? 'Cause here's what it says: "The science or study of symbols; loosely, the use of symbols, or symbols collectively; symbolism." The definition of symbolism includes this: "the systematic use of symbols; hence, symbols collectively or generally." Sounds like a lot of overlap to me.

quote:
Maybe I have a significantly different background than other people, but I'm used to symbology being used in this way. If someone were talking about the symbolism of the lobby, to me, that would imply that the lobby itself was symbolic of something, rather than it contained many pieces of art, architechture, or some other aspects that were themselves symbolic. Am I alone in seeing it that way?
Maybe not alone, but I certainly don't see it that way. I think the obvious meaning of "symbolism of the lobby" is "use of symbols in the lobby," not "the lobby as a symbol."

quote:
No, but I think it's safe to say that the book helped spread the problem to millions of people who had never heard the word symbology before. I'm pretty sure that my first encounter of it was in connection with the book.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

How would you denote it if the lobby itself was symbolic then?
vonk
Member # 9027

Do you really think more people read The DaVinci Code then saw Boondock Saints? I'm not saying they haven't, it's just not the conclusion that I would jump to.

If it were me talking about the lobby, I would have said "symbolism in the lobby" if talking about symbols in the lobby, or "symbolism of the lobbby" if the lobby itself was the symbol.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

quote:
Do you really think more people read The DaVinci Code then saw Boondock Saints? I'm not saying they haven't, it's just not the conclusion that I would jump to.
More people have read or seen The Davinci Code (or read articles about it that included the word symbology) than have even heard of Boondock Saints.
vonk
Member # 9027

Oh, Okay. You say this rather unequivocally. I assume you know this to be a fact?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Based on gross sales alone.

The Boondock Saints was only ever in extreme limited release (only ever shown in 5 theaters), and from all websites I can find it grossed around $30,000 total in theaters before it went to video. Granted it's made more since then, but it is still a small run, small gross picture with mild popularity.

The Davinci Code made $740 million in worldwide theatrical release, and has more than 60 million copies of the book in print. There are countless derivative books about it, plus thousands of articles written in magazines, newspapers and online. It is a juggernaut of popularity, and when you pair it with Angels and Demons (also using the word), it grows even more popular.

So, I'm pretty unequivocal when I say that more people have read, seen or heard the word symbology from Dan Brown's works than have even heard of Boondock Saints.

vonk
Member # 9027

Alrighty. You win. I guess the group of people I run with aren't mainstream enough to give me an unbiased outlook on what is and is not popular.

Or...

Nuh uh! I'm right and your wrong and there ain't no way your gonna convince me otherwise! Scallywag!

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

Of course, The Boondock Saints is an infinitely better movie and story than Dan Brown could ever hope to write, and should have made more money and attained more popularity.

Unforunately, the public generally likes crap.

Just wanted to add that. You know, Dan Brown being a hack, and all.

Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
The Boondock Saints wasn't given an opportunity to make money basically because the director made an ass out of himself. Resulting in him being blacklisted from studios and distribution companies. It wasn't like the public snubbed it. Look at it's success on DVD and video. That's really the only way it's ever been available.

[ July 27, 2006, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Ben ]

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.