FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So, seriously, what is intrinsically wrong with people using the word 'symbology'? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: So, seriously, what is intrinsically wrong with people using the word 'symbology'?
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
It follows much the same story as Firefly, in that regard (other than who is to be blamed for its lack of initial commercial success).

I consider myself to be "up" on movies, and I only heard of it last year when a friend lent me the DVD. At least I *heard* of Firelfy when it was out (never watched it) before becoming a fan last year (mainly because of recommendations on this site and PVPonline.com).

Unfortunately, the public often doesn't embrace movies of quality, choosing instead commercial garbage.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
How would you denote it if the lobby itself was symbolic then?

Do you really think this is what kat's coworker was trying to express—that the room itself was symbolic of something, and not that it contained things that were symbolic?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I used the word 'symbologizing' in my critique of the DaVinci code.

It may have been the wrong way to use the word ("If this sort of rampant, dishonest, fictitious symbologizing makes your teeth shake, DO NOT READ THE DAVINCI CODE! On peril of your molars.") but I don't care much. Or much care.

I muchly don't care overly.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you really think this is what kat's coworker was trying to express—that the room itself was symbolic of something, and not that it contained things that were symbolic?
No, in part because she used the correct word to denote the second part. But I don't see how that's relevant.

We're talking about the usage of words in a general context. In this specific case, there would probably be little ambiguity, but there are plenty of cases where there would be. In the deleted thread, I brought up the difference between symbolism amd symbology of a dollar bill.

It's entirely possible that the lobby of this building was intended to have be symbolic in itself as well as contain objects that were symbolic. Your suggested usage gives no way to discriminate between these.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
In this specific case, there would probably be little ambiguity, but there are plenty of cases where there would be.
:nods:

Yes. There would be.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's entirely possible that the lobby of this building was intended to have be symbolic in itself as well as contain objects that were symbolic.
If only we had someone who knew the lobby in question and could answer that question and therefore interpret the sentence. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

It's symbolic of the womb, the sacred life-vessel that gives the divine feminine its power, and mysticism. The fact that the building is white is also a clue, as white is the symbol of purity, innocence, peace, and harmony, which all women have.

Everything's about the womb.

I know. 'Cuz I read the DaVinci Code.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
If only we had someone who knew the lobby in question and could answer that question and therefore interpret the sentence.
That's completely irrelevant to what we're discussing, as I pointed out above. Proper usage of words is definied by the general case, not the specific.

A phrase of the form "the symbolism of <X>" is inherently ambiguous in the general case if you hold both meanings.

---

I feel I need to quote you for something as simple as this because you have a tendency to delete things without warning.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Couldn't resist, could you? [Cool]

And you're wrong. Except for ScottR's brilliant interpretation, the lobby itself is meant to symolize nothing.

Sometimes a lobby is just a lobby.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
You don't realize it, but you just killed a Merovignian. Every time someone says "An X is just an X," one of Christ's heirs dies.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Again, this specific instance is completely irrelevant to the point about definitions we're discussing.
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
quote:
No, in part because she used the correct word to denote the second part. But I don't see how that's relevant.

We're talking about the usage of words in a general context.

Really? You could've fooled me, I guess, because I thought it was pretty obvious that this entire thread was just a response to katharina's anecdote about her coworker's usage.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

What's irrelevant is Dan Brown's insistence that because Christ was married and had a kid, he could not be the Son of God, and the whole of Christianity is a sham.

All of it. Because all Christians hate sex and sexuality, especially male Christians. And albino male Roman catholic christians hate sex more than anyone, to the point that they prefer barbed belts strapped to their thighs instead of underpants.

What underpants have to do with sex, I'm not sure. But you see my point, don't you?

Actually, seriously-- this is something that comes up a lot in these types of books. Wild leaps of logic that conclusively prove, without a doubt, that Jesus was not resurrected, Christian faith in Christ is a sham, and the early church ate babies as regularly as modern Mormons.

Snow Crash did it, too-- "Jesus taught against the grain! He was a rebel, poised to overtake the reign of the language virus carriers! Therefore, he wasn't the Son of God, and everything all Christian churches have done since is a lie, meant to perpetuate the virus Jesus sought to destroy!"

It doesn't make sense here, and it didn't make sense in the book.

Pfagh.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Jon Boy,
It [symbology] doesn't really overlap with symbolism. It's the art, use, or study of symbolism.

It doesn't overlap symbolism, only symbolism is needed in any definition of symbology? Torturous hair-splitting IMO.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Really? You could've fooled me, I guess, because I thought it was pretty obvious that this entire thread was just a response to katharina's anecdote about her coworker's usage.
Right now, we're discussing how you would, at any point in time, denote that something contained objects that were symbolic versus something that was symbolic in and of itself.

You've said that you would use symbolism for both. I'm pointing out that this inevitibly leads to ambiguity.

The definition of words doesn't rely on an isolated, sepcific case.

---

Morbo,
Letters (or some analog) are needed for any definition of writing. Would you say that there is overlap between the definition of 'letter' and 'writing'? Symbology is the art or use of symbolism is much the same way that writing is the art or use of letters (and words).

Symbology and symbolism denote different and distinct things. Thus, there is no overlap and, to tie it back to what I was saying above, no ambiguity when they are used correctly.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Actually, seriously-- this is something that comes up a lot in these types of books. Wild leaps of logic that conclusively prove, without a doubt, that Jesus was not resurrected, Christian faith in Christ is a sham, and the early church ate babies as regularly as modern Mormons.
This wasn't in The DaVinci Code, but it is often brought up by Christian detractors of the book. Where do you get this idea from?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
Right now, we're discussing how you would, at any point in time, denote that something contained objects that were symbolic versus something that was symbolic in and of itself.

You've said that you would use symbolism for both. I'm pointing out that this inevitibly leads to ambiguity.

Show me an example where context and common sense would fail to prevent ambiguity.

quote:

Symbology and symbolism denote different and distinct things.

I think you missed the part where I showed that this is not the case.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
Show me an example where context and common sense would fail to prevent ambiguity.
Symbolism/symbology of the dollar bill. Symbolism/symbology of a lobby that was designed to be symbolic.

quote:
I must have. You showed a dictionary definition that included minority defintions where there could be overlap.

However, the concepts that I'm saying they stand for do not overlap. The words are not used in such a way that this potential overlap exists.

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

quote:
quote:
Symbolism/symbology of the dollar bill. Symbolism/symbology of a lobby that was designed to be symbolic.
You failed to provide any kind of context here.

quote:
quote:
I must have. You showed a dictionary definition that included minority defintions where there could be overlap.
No, I gave you a definition where the words not only overlap but are synonymous.

quote:
However, the concepts that I'm saying they stand for do not overlap. The words are not used in such a way that this potential overlap exists.
So now you're saying that the OED is wrong, huh? And anyway, the example from kat's coworker shows that "symbology" is used in such a way that this overlap exists.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Sorry, I thought it was extremely obvious.

A dollar bill contains many elements that are symbolic. However, it is a formal symbol for value and is often used in various contexts to symbolize many things.

A lobby can be designed to be symbolic in itself. Imagine for example, someone were emulating elements of Egyptian pyramid building. It also can contain works of art and such that are symbolic.

The OED definition isn't wrong, but it lacks context. It's a minority definition and overly general.

And the whole point of this is that, in kat's co-worker's sentence, symbology is the correct word and symbolism is not, because the concept she was trying to express is properly denoted by 'symbology' but not by 'symbolism'. So the example actually shows the opposite of what you are claiming it does.

Scott R
Member # 567

Squick:

Well, I wasn't reffering to the DaVinci Code specifically. You'll note that I use the phrase 'these types of books,' indicating a generalization about modern fiction novels that purport to reveal hidden secrets of Christianity. Since the DaVinci Cod matches the other two criteria, I think it fits.

Don't you?

Now, while the DaVinci code does not specifically call the Resurrection into question it does question the traditional view of Christ as the savior, and purports to reveal the dark, dark secrets of early Christians that the patriarchy doesn't want you to know.

Langdon says, early on in the book, that ancient (pre-Constantine) Christians wrote about Jesus as a man, as a great prophet, but NOT as savior.

I think this is in the chapter where Langdon and Sofie are riding through the Garden of Earthly Delights-- but I may be wrong.

Brown/Landon contradicts himself in the same chapter, not two minutes after making this assertion, by using a 'lost scripture' that specifically calls Christ "Savior--" this is the scripture where the disciples are talking about how Christ loved Mary Magdalene.

I wasn't coming at this topic in my role as Christian Apologist, but as an intelligent human being, who doesn't care for Brown's wrestling with logic.

katharina
Member # 827

Except it wasn't, which I know because I know the lobby in question and the tour in question, and you don't.

So you invented a (false) scenario and are breathlessly defending it.

Very, very sad.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Scott,
I have no recollection of Dan Brown denying Jesus as the Savior. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I can't recall it. Only read the book once and quickly too.

Doesn't he bring up the bit about MM being the first person Jesus showed himself to after the Resurrection?

kat,
I realize how awful it must be for you to have me stalking you. You just can't get away for me and even have to delete threads in your strong desire to avoid me. And the way I always try to bring the conversations back to you while there are other discussions going on is just monstrous.

Scott R
Member # 567

quote:

This wasn't in The DaVinci Code, but it is often brought up by Christian detractors of the book. Where do you get this idea from?

quote:
I have no recollection of Dan Brown denying Jesus as the Savior. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but I can't recall it. Only read the book once and quickly too.
Clever.

[Wink]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

err...what?
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
What underpants have to do with sex, I'm not sure.

Oh, dear. Scott, has no one ever had That Talk with you?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Every time someone says "An X is just an X," one of Christ's heirs dies.
I thought it was a kitten.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I think you can puzzle my meaning out, Squicky.

[Smile]

quote:
has no one ever had That Talk with you?
Underpants are the root of all evil. I know, I know...

You might even say that underpants are behind all wickedness.

EDIT: Due to a massive cover-up, the Underpants Cabal has yet to be exposed.

[ July 28, 2006, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Scott R ]

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Ok, I'll give it a try. The one that comes immediately to mind is pretty stupid though.

I claimed something didn't happen in the book.

At a later point, I said that I didn't recall something else happening in the book and mentioned that I read it once and fast.

Somehow, you think that invalidates my earlier statement?

Scott R
Member # 567

Mostly wrong. This is fun though. Keep at it, champ.

I'll give you a hint though-- it doesn't have to do with you being stupid.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Nah, I'm done. Never cared much for guessing games, sport.
Scott R
Member # 567

All right. You come back after your nap's done, and we'll use the nerf ball instead.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.