FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » That's the beauty of it...FOUND (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: That's the beauty of it...FOUND
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on IMDB may have found the source of the now infamous quote:

quote:
That's the beauty of it...it doesn't do anything
It's here:

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/hosmackah/beauty/?action=view¤t=img002.flv

The link to the IMDB discussion is here:

http://imdb.com/board/bd0000001/nest/70218676

I think we can all rest now.

SSYWAK

(Sorry--the first link works, the second link was to a letter alerting me to the discussion...I've fixed the link now)

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
If I'm not registered I can't read the discussion - what movie are they saying it's from?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Those of us not registered on imdb can't read that. Mind quoting the salient bits?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you realize what you've done?

The pursuit of the answer to this question was like the pursuit of perfection; eternally striving towards it made us all better people and now look what you've done.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Meh - it's about as convincing as crop circles to me.... a controversy that will never really die. [Wink]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
This is a hoax. The link doesn't work, and there is no source. They're just trying to get our hopes up.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my....I must say I'm shocked....After all of that....it's found...I remember spending so many hours tracking it down....I never thought it would ever get found...
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Boothby171, I don't think the quote is exact. There is a "what does it do?" part and a "that's the beauty of it" part, but they are not together, and the rest of it is only approximate. (I can't hear it well, in part because of my speakers and in part because I am in a -very- loud background noise place, but this seems to be true.) People have found other things close before, but not exact, and this was deemed not to be the exact quote so many people think they remembered.

I'd love to read the transcript of the clip, but you seem to have linked to a private messaging function, not a discussion thread. (?) It refuses entry.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that one of the replies was to pm you, Steve.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
EL,

I am, after all, the messiah of that new religion. And now, I must be killed and eaten by my followers.

Love SSYWAK, Kill SSYWAK, Eat SSYWAK

(as the saying goes)

I've fixed the link, BTW

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, being Catholic, that doesn't sound too out there to me.

*nibbles*

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm registered on IMDB.

The movie is apparently "Burke's Law: Who Killed 711". But ... I've never heard of it or seen that clip. So where did I get that phrase?

I'm still not convinced. [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

My best-guess transcript (there wasn't one on the IMDB thread):

quote:
[Burgess Meredith!] as Mad (?) Scientist: Certainly, certainly ... [stammering] ... mnnuuh, let's, I, I ... I always take this w-w-with me ...
When I travel. At home I have a m-m-much bigger one.

Guy in suit and hat: What is it?

Scientist: Well it - my, my therapy - I'm still perfecting it.

Guy: What does it do?

Scientist: Do?

Guy: Wha-What's it for?

Scientist: Well nothing, nothing, I mean, that's the beauty of it. Every machine in the world does something, but not mine ... [stammering continues, but clip ends]

It is certainly close, but I don't think it's necessarily closer than some other things which were proposed. Perhaps. But I think the mystery of this was that so many people had a very vivid memory of a quote that exactly matched one another's recollections, though no exact match could be found in the media.

This doesn't fufill that either, but it's a strong showing. It is close, but people seemed to remember (vividly, and in complete agreement) something else.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

Hey!

That tickles!

Knock it off!

Personally, I don't expect we'll ever get any closer than that. I know that I was 3 when that show was aired, and I doubt very much I saw it then!

But since? Who the heck knows!?!

It just feels right, though, doesn't it?

Boothby171
Member # 807

It's not Burl Ives (sheesh!)

It's Burgess Meredith

http://imdb.com/name/nm0580565/

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Already corrected. *smile

---
quote:
Originally posted by Boothby171:
It just feels right, though, doesn't it?

Nope. [Smile] But still cool. And admirable of someone to remember and post it.
Boothby171
Member # 807

I appreciate all the support and hard work coming from all you guys (and gals)
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

You've done the hard work, and you've been diligent about spreading the word and updating us. That's so great.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Of note, the thread title linked to at IMDB (and at least one post in it) refer to the "...It doesn't do anything" quotation, but that wording isn't actually in the clip. See transcript above.

---

Is anyone verified to post at IMDB? I'd love to post the transcript of the clip along with a link to the discussion here. Also to the original thread from Hatrack where other quite similar possibilities were noted.

It's not that I don't agree that this was a great piece of detective work -- I just don't think it solves the puzzle more than it was previously solved, and I'd hate to see the search truncated prematurely.

I'll verify myself at IMDB with a credit card later if this isn't of interest to anyone else.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with CT. It's close (arguably the closest yet), but no ceegar.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

Now I know how new religions are spawned from the old ones.

I'm taking it as solved, and leaving it at that.

Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Upon a second watching, I'm gonna have to agree that it's not close enough. But I'll leave the thread stickied for a little bit out of reverence for the concept.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I am amazed that this got stickied.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
CT -

I can post at IMDB, if that's what you mean, last I checked you don't have to have a credit card to do so, at least you didn't back when I signed up.

If you want to construct a post but don't want to go through the trouble of signing up yourself you can email it to me and I'll put it on that thread.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I do want to leave open the possibility that people may want to keep looking.

Thanks, Lyrhawn. I'd love to take advantage of your generosity. Just a sec --

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
EL,

I am, after all, the messiah of that new religion. And now, I must be killed and eaten by my followers.

Love SSYWAK, Kill SSYWAK, Eat SSYWAK

Wait... you're SSYWAK?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Boothby171, I don't think the quote is exact. There is a "what does it do?" part and a "that's the beauty of it" part, but they are not together, and the rest of it is only approximate. (I can't hear it well, in part because of my speakers and in part because I am in a -very- loud background noise place, but this seems to be true.) People have found other things close before, but not exact, and this was deemed not to be the exact quote so many people think they remembered.

I'd love to read the transcript of the clip, but you seem to have linked to a private messaging function, not a discussion thread. (?) It refuses entry.

As far as I can see, it's as close as "Play it again, Sam". Which, as an exact phrase, probably appeared first in a Woody Allen movie, because it's never said in Casablanca.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Lyrhawn, this is great. Thanks. You are a real peach. [Smile]

Wait a minute for me to finish editing, as I want to make sure the links work. And let me know if it's too long.

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------

Hi, IMDB folks. What a great thread!

This is CT from Hatrack, one of the sites that has been plagued by this quote since 2003 (thanks, Thalia). I wanted to give you a link here to our current discussion of this proposal, as well as some links to some older threads where other possibilities were discussed at our site. One of our other members, Lyrhawn [if you are okay with being named], is kind enough to crosspost for me.

Current discussion: That's the beauty of it...FOUND
Original thread (2004): What movie is *this*?
Two other threads, among many: Place that movie quote game and It doesn't do anything. That's the beauty of it.

I think all of us are delighted to see the video clip and read the discussion. Some, like ssywak, are calling it closed. Others, like me and some other oldtimers, are not, and not just because we are grumpy old farts. (But that too. *grin) Of particular note, there have been other possibilities quite close, and though this has some intriguing elements, it doesn't even contain the classic "It doesn't do anything" part referenced in both the title of this thread and in one of the posts above. This has "nothing." (see transcript below) Close, but not quite -- and what made this quotation so compelling was that so many people seemed to remember it *exactly* as such.

But this is something we each have our own mystical relationship to, and I suppose we each have to make up our own minds. I'll leave you with my transcript of the video clip for future reference. Thanks.

quote:
Burgess Meredith as Mad (?) Scientist: Certainly, certainly ... [stammering] ... mnnuuh, let's, I, I ... I always take this w-w-with me ... when I travel. At home I have a m-m-much bigger one.

Guy in suit and hat: What is it?

Scientist: Well it - my, my therapy - I'm still perfecting it.

Guy: What does it do?

Scientist: Do?

Guy: Wha-What's it for?

Scientist: Well nothing, nothing, I mean, that's the beauty of it. Every machine in the world does something, but not mine ... [stammering continues, but clip ends]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Well-summed, CT.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Cool. And I've edited to update the links.

Thanks, Lyrhawn. It's ready to go.

And thanks, Boothby171, for posting it and keeping us updated. The fact that we don't agree in toto doesn't mean I don't really appreciate your hard work, as well as the work of the person who found and uploaded this clip. Awesome.

---

Whoops! Lyrhawn, if you could just update the date (not 2004, but 2003) for the original thread, that would be great. If not, no big deal -- and you can leave out whichever formatting you need to in order to make it easy. However it works for you.

[ March 27, 2007, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
You remember that 80s show, "Probe." I rewatched a few episodes last year, and for some reason, I think of the quote as being in there.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think it was from an episode of Saved by the Bell where Zach steals some money to buy a fancy boom box.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: I had to fudge it a bit, as the coding isn't the same at Hatrack, but it's posted. Let me know if that's okay.

[ March 26, 2007, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: Lyrhawn ]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't think that is the right one. I'm determined that it's out there in some strange movie that we've all seen, but can't quite recall. I will never stop searching. NEVA!
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

Lisa...you didn't know I was (hell...still AM) SSYWAK ?!?
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
This is nothing more then false hope, this is about as convincing as the discovery of Jesus' corpse.

I'll never stop searching, I know it's out there, word for word, clear as day, no mumbling or distortion, it will be memorable, and it will make us all go "Ohhhhh, that's right, I should have gotten that, moving along."

Someday.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Lisa...you didn't know I was (hell...still AM) SSYWAK ?!?

Um... I guess not. What does it stand for? Anything?
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is it. I think this is the source of the quote. It is altered slightly, but I think for the same reason everyone remembers "Play it again, Sam." as the accurate quote.

Wow. It's found. It's like finally learning who Deep Throat is.

I'm not dissapointed with this source, though - I think it fits the spirit of the quote perfectly. Wow.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I am absolutely confident that I have never seen this movie.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I doubt many people have seen this movie at all. Still, just like I could quote The Godfather despite never seeing it and the ways everyone has heard "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a d***" whether or not they have seen Gone with the Wind, I think the quote entered the zeitgeist right...there. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not even a movie. It's an episode of a 60's TV show.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0533831/

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Was that directed at me? I don't see how that's relevant...maybe it wasn't directed at me. Never mind. [Smile]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the quote entered the zeitgeist right...there.
See, I don't. Because we know how "frankly, my dear" is sustained through the zeitgeist; this particular episode isn't popular enough and isn't quoted enough to be supported, and we have evidence by now that the individual line itself isn't propagated widely through the media.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

What Tom said [all the times above, actually]. But I think it's fine for people to have different criteria to be satisfied about the quote.

[ March 26, 2007, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with kat and Boothby; people heard it on the show, misquoted it the next day around the water cooler, and it just took off. We all heard it in amateur stand-up routines and high school dramas. Our parents used the phrase in jokes and we laughed at the punch-line of a thousand independent jokes. We all heard it from different sources and different times, but all independently derived from this one, monumental moment. Thank you, Burgess Meredith, for this mighty endowment to our society.

Case closed. Whew.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
Case closed. Whew.

quote:
But I think it's fine for people to have different criteria to be satisfied about the quote.
(*grin [Wink] )
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. I just reserve the right to gloat in the next life when all truth will be revealed (including, although perhaps not most importantly, this one).

(*grin [Wink] )

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Lyrhawn, you are a jewel. A very manly jewel, such as a large red jasper, or perhaps a deep, black onyx. [Smile] Thank you -- it is perfect.

---

SenojRetep, of all the things I both fear and hope to be explained to me after my death, this is surely right up there. And if it should be that there is a decent pub at hand when we are put to that mettle, and if we then find this true, well, I'll kindly spot you a pint and call you prescient. [Hat]

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt we'll ever get closer to it, but I'm also sure people will keep looking [Smile]
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to make a movie with this line in it. Just so people can be put at rest.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.