FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who, Season Four! (possible spoilers up to current BBC-aired episode) (Page 0)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Doctor Who, Season Four! (possible spoilers up to current BBC-aired episode)
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Probly a human the Master met when he returned to Earth and they fell in love with each other?

Tennant's not gonna leave, the Doctor has been artificially aged before on a number of occasions and got it reversed, the Doctor only gets 13 lives regenerating the Doctor is pretty much irreversible and I'ld imagine they'ld reframe from doing it until Tennat has to leave, afaik they only killed off Doctors once the actors had to go on to other things.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
But the Master? Falling in love with a human? She is one weird human, too. They made a point of showing us how she danced at the destruction of humanity. She was almost gleeful when the Master ordered the decimation. What's her game? Is she just that stupidly self-centred? Does she have a vendetta against humanity? Who is Lucy Saxon, and why?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think she's playing a bigger game...When The Master is addressing the public for the first time as Prime Minister, he is saying something and you see a shot of Mrs. Saxon crossing her fingers. Whence these flowers? I went back and watched it again but couldn't figure out what it could have meant.

There's always the possibility that the Master is hypnotizing her as well...

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
But that doesn't explain his apparent attachment to her. I mean, I get the impression that he is one cold dude, and him getting all moony over a human seems... odd.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Random thoughts...

So that's who Jack turns into! But how does he become a big giant head? I do love the fact that the Face turned up in the second episode of the series, before Jack was even introduced - he was always there with them, even before they knew him. But it's pretty sad that he has to live that long, and that the Doctor doesn't even recognise him - when Jack still cares for the Doctor even after thousands of years.

The Doctor is secretly Dobbie the House Elf!

No way is the Master really dead. But who was the woman (or man, with painted nails) who picked up the ring? Was it his wife (who totally shot him to save him), or someone else?

It's pretty rubbish, when the last member of your species would rather die than live with you. It's even worse when all your other friends would rather be off living their old lives than travelling around with you.

Instead of the usual beaming hopefulness, this is the first time we've seen that eventual future of mankind is pretty dark. Maybe the Doc was wrong about us all along?

The Doctor sank the Titanic? Oops.

[ June 30, 2007, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Bella Bee ]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Bella, you have *got* to tell me where you found the episode!!!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Sorry! I just switched on my TV at 7 o'clock, and there it was. I live in the UK.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I got mine at mininova (a torrent site).

!!!!!SPOILERS!!!!!

Wow. Just... wow. I am blown away. Jack becomes the Face of Boe. How his personality changed and matured!

The scene when the Master died cemented my opinion that David Tennant is a top-notch actor. I hope when he is done his turn as the Doctor, that he gets all the best roles dropped in his lap. He is amazing, as an actor. And if that hadn't convinced me, his face as Martha left him the second time would have.

I also loved the reprise of the theme for the Face of Boe that was played as Jack said good-bye. I've been listening to the Doctor Who soundtrack a lot this past week, and I really hope they release another for the third (and presumably fourth) season(s).

I still have the feeling that Mrs. Saxon was/is playing a far more subtle game than we give her credit for. Her motivations are still far from transparent, and I'd even wager money that those were her fingers we saw at the end, with the Master's ring. It could be that the Master had arranged that with her well in advance. He's the Doctor's Moriarty, and he's too smart not to have had a contingency plan. However, I still think she was playing a game with the Master, one he didn't know about. There's just something about her. If we never see her again, I am going to be terribly disappointed.

Now, we wait till Christmas.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

I have never been so happy to be wrong about my theory! Though it was kinda weird the Doctor turning into a little monkey man, and then turning back and floating around. Other than that it was a fabulous episode.

I agree that David Tennant is a fabulous actor -- I was all emotional over the Master dying, especially since he knew the exact right way to drive that dagger into the Doctor -- "Spend the rest of my life imprisoned with you?" -- and the Doctor's reaction was so heartbreaking.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

"I win."

Yeah, heartbreaking.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
So the BBC website says that Catherine Tate -- who played Donna in the Runaway Bride Xmas special -- is coming back at a companion for the 4th season -- link

I haven't seen the Xmas special yet -- did folks like her in it?

(I know, it's showing on the SciFi Channel this Friday (July 6th, 8 PM EST) -- they're finally showing season 3 here in the U.S. -- but we don't get cable, so it'll still be a while before I see it...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raventhief
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Raventhief   Email Raventhief         Edit/Delete Post 
Liked Catherine Tate, didn't like Donna. Kind of whiny and definitely self-centered. Though it was her wedding day, maybe they'll make her less irritating.

I'm glad Martha is coming back. Her character finally got her legs and started being useful, it was kind of a shame when she left.

Posts: 354 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

This was on BBC news this morning, and my first gut reaction was 'oh, no', simply because Catherine Tate's sketch show got kind of annoying after a short while (there're only so many times you can hear the phrase 'Am I bovvered?' before it starts to grate).

But actually, the Christmas episode was pretty good, and a mouthy ditz would make a nice change from the last two companions. I think Tate and Tennant are going to be hilarous. Though the next companion has got to be a bloke. Or, at the very least, a woman who is not from modern London.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I thought Donna was hilarious. I'm thrilled she's coming back. Her yelling at the Doctor was definitely comical. "POCKETS!" I mean, fair criticism of his question, and being that she was missing her wedding, I can cut her some slack. It was kind of fun to see someone render the Doctor speechless.

At the same time, I am glad Martha will be coming back as well. I like her too.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Christmas 2007, short version: depressing, but awesome.

Long version to follow, when I'm less tired.

Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I just bought season 3 on DVD.

[ December 27, 2007, 04:38 AM: Message edited by: JonHecht ]

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Christmas 2007. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and the midshipmen and the old men were my favorite characters. I really liked the old man's comment at the end about choosing who survives.

[ December 27, 2007, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Deleted, sorry. I just needed to get it out of my system. Very sad. [Frown]
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

It was sad. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

I really enjoyed it, although I'm glad I didn't have to deal with any sobbing kiddies on Christmas day! Although the resolution managed to be sad but somewhat hopeful.

It really was a disaster movie and the effects were surprisingly good - and I loved the running gag about the snow always being caused by some kind of alien atrocity.
And I liked the queen's fluffy pink slippers.

As always, I was impressed by how much David Tennant just really is the Doctor.
The trailer for the next series looked good too.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Smile] What a good way of phrasing that!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
[Smile] What a good way of phrasing that!
Seconded! He really is. Although, I did get the distinct impression that when he said "Take me to your leader. [pause] I always wanted to say that!", that a large part of the grin and glee belonged to Tennant himself, not just the character. Heck, if it were me, I know it would be.

Did anyone else catch the Series 4 preview at the end? I think I saw Davros, there at the end of the trailer. Also, I can't want to see Donna Noble back. [Big Grin]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Sorry for the double post, but I discovered some awesome news today!

"he fourth series will air the UK in 2008 featuring two companions; Donna who first appeared in The Runaway Bride and Martha Jones who returns to the series for the last five episodes of series four. It has been recently announced that Billie Piper would return the the show to reprise her original role for three episodes, presumably the final three."

I was so sad when Rose left, and I've always held the vain hope (or so I thought) that they'd find a way to write her back in. Woo! I was right! Nothing is ever final with this series.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

WOO! Season Four starts tonight!

I live with a whole bunch of geeks, so we are having an Event of it. I bought a TARDIS cake and a housemate has made Dalek cookies. Let the geeking out commence.

[Party]

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Yay! It's back!

I find Donna's Christmas episode hilarious, so I'm glad to see her with the Doc full time.
The moment when their eyes finally met across a crowded room - and the subsequent lip reading - was brilliant.
The Doctor, alone in the Tardis, starting on his usual 'Oh, the cleverness of me' routine, and then giving up because there was no-one to be clever at was also nicely done.

The aliens were cute, yet disgusting, and the story was lightweight and fun. This show just makes me happy. [Smile]

And the end of the episode set up a rather interesting anomaly, which I'm sure will be coming back to haunt everyone in later episodes...

katharina
Member # 827

That was AWESOME. I enjoyed the whole thing, thrilled by Donna, and loved the twist at the end. If I liked stuffed toys at all, I'd want an adipose. I still kind of want an adipose, dang it - one large enough to hug. They were so cute.

Oh my stars, the ending...

I am very much looking forward to this season. Good start, RTD! *cheers*

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That adiposes looked like they'd bee slimy and squishy.

I'm kinda annoyed that they won't let the Rose thing drop. Move on, people!

I'm afraid of it becoming like the Borg on Voyager. You know what fans like? The Borg! Let's make yet another episode about the Borg! It could never get old!

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

You saw Partners in Crime, mph?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I have more faith in RTD than that. [Smile]
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
*Avoids looking at the spoilers*

Just wanted to put in here that I just heard the news that Richard Dawkins will be in an episode this season.

For those of us who know of Dawkins, I believe the response will be "AWESOME!"

For those of us who don't know him, the response, fittingly, will be "Who?"

For those of us who are fans of the original Doctor Who, the response will be "Isn't that the guy married to Romana?"

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Holy CARP!

Okay, some great lines in this episode (Mr. and Mrs Spartacus! lol!). Some great Roman touches. The boy was a bit old to be wearing the bulla around his neck, but I loved the painted walls and the Sibylline Oracles. The Sibylline Oracles were lost, so for all we know, it did contain a reference to a big blue police box!

Meanwhile, I've been to Pompeii and I've seen some of the plaster casts they made of the entombed bodies and it's a chilling and horrible sight. Watching the city be buried in ash didn't feel like just a sci-fi reenactment. I admit it, I cried. Plus, great performance by David Tennant and Catherine Tate.

Oh, and great fun with the language games! "Oh, you're Celtic." Heehee. The word they coined was "vulcanus," not "volcano," but if you accept the TARDIS translation circuit, I suppose you'd hear "volcano." Great fun. I liked it a lot better than last week's episode.

Oh! And they fiddled with the theme music again. Sort of Trans-Siberian Orchestra does Doctor Who. I like it, I think.

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Is is normal to want to marry a TV show? Or maybe we could have some sort of civil partnership?

The Doctor saved Caecilius!
We finally found out what happened to Metella!
We actually saw her 'in atrio sedet'?
Quintus bibit!

Sorry.

Basically, for those who don’t know, the writers took the main characters from the most widely used kid's school Latin textbook (Cambridge Latin Course - Level 1) and made them characters in this episode.
At the end of the textbook, Caecilius, who was a real historical character, is killed by the volcanic eruption.
Generations of British schoolchildren have been mildly traumatised by his tragic fate.
When the Doctor said 'they'll never forget you' - you could hear every kid who ever enjoyed Latin at school cheering.
We grew up, but we never forgot you, Caecilius.

Plus, Latin/Welsh jokes galore.
‘Caveat emptor’
‘There’s lovely, then.’
Adorable. [Smile]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Ahah, I wish I'd known about or studied the Cambridge Latin Course before. I wondered what the funny was there!

And over in Confidential, it seems that a lot of the language jokes were inspired by Asterix. Always good to see another fan!

Bella Bee
Member # 7027

If anyone wants to read the original demise of Caecilius (in Latin), it's on the publisher's website.

Of course, now it goes more like - 'Caecilius est in TARDIS...'

katharina
Member # 827

Agreed, for all of the above. I just barely saw it this morning, and I absolutely laughed out loud at the scene at the very, very end. [Smile] I loved the whole thing - this was fantastic.

I think I'm madly in love with Donna. She is very, very cool - I'm so glad she's with the Doctor. And David Tennant has got a handle on the balance between adorable jabbering and getting serious when it matters, all in the same speech. Excellent, all around.

I want to go to Pompeii! It's on my list of things to do in life, but not this year. Maybe soon. [Smile]

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! The BBC has brought back Fear Factor!

(Fear Factor = kids' commentary on what they find scary about an episode. The ones posted before an episode airs are kept more vague; after the episode airs, they're more spoilery.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

Fantastic episode.
katharina
Member # 827

That Fear Factor is hilarious! Thank you!
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, I expect that you're the best person to ask about this--has Tenant's hair been getting progressively more exaggerated, or did they just start with the improbably protruding bangs in this past episode?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

BAD WOLF!

I really can't wait for the final episodes, but at the same time, I do want to wait, because after that, we go back to no new episodes. I'm so excited, though.

Also, I think "You can't make the world better by shouting at it!" "I can try!" is the best encapsulation of Donna Noble, ever.

katharina
Member # 827

Noemon, I hadn't seen this.

Yes, Tennant's hair has been kind of hit or miss this season. I suspect he wants to do something different with it, and unfortunately the different they chose is a little weird.

Apparently after filming, he cut it all off and shaved the sideburns.

---

I agree, EL. This week's episode was simply wonderful, and I can't wait to find out what it is that Donna does on her own that is so important. Also, the clicky, insect noises seriously added to creepy this time. I spent most of the episode with the willies because of the subtle sounds.

Itsame
Member # 9712

Interesting touch with the concentration camps.
Brett Moan
Member # 11641

- posted      Profile for Brett Moan           Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely loved The Two episodes of the library.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

Wow. Um. Gosh.

HUGE, HUGE INCOHERENT SPOILERYNESS AHEAD

Daleks speaking German. Perfect.
I want to keep Dalek Caan as a pet.
Davros needs to read the Evil Overlord List. Seriously, putting all the weapons on one control panel?
Not so much of a genius after all.

I loved the companions flying the Tardis. Beautiful.

Poor Donna. The universe has lost the coolest companion ever to exist, but she actually seemed some kind of happy. Still terribly unfair, but very glad they didn't kill her.

Finally, the Doctor - the real Doctor - dumps Rose. At last! Glad nobody was left crying this time.
Duplicating the doctor for Rose (it was immediately obvious that was the reason since the poor clone had nothing else to do in the episode) was so cheesy,
I couldn't quite believe it was happening.
But Rose is left with a skinny, besuited amalgam of David Tenant and Catherine Tate. Not too bad all around, really.
Anyone else think we might be seeing Tony Tyler someday?

I'm glad Torchwood have gained Martha and Mickey - they'll fill the empty M.D. and tech geek roles wonderfully.

The episode needed to be longer. Packing in so much action cut character time massively.
But I enjoyed it.

And the Daleks? So not dead.
SPOILERS AT AN END.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Its extremely extremely unlikely for the Dalek's to have survived at this point. I think this was the episode to end the Dalek tyranny once and for all in one final fitting end. We have seen the Daleks at their height, at their lowest and at their most humane there is not much left to flesh out of them.

I think I'm going to watch Torchwood now that mickey and martha are there.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers!
The Daleks have come back from it's-really-final-this-time-honest destruction so many times that I think it's a given they'll be back again. In fact, not showing Davros's death was apparently a deliberate choice so that he can be brought back again.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

RTD said in the Confidential that he certainly hopes that Davros will be brought back again - he doesn't want to be man who killed off that iconic villian.
Brett Moan
Member # 11641

- posted      Profile for Brett Moan           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to disagree with you I thought rose was a much better companion. Donna was all around too whiny.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I loved both Rose and Donna. Martha was fine, but she was much better away from the Doctor than with the Doctor.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.