FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » calling CT! (Child abuse remarks)

Author Topic: calling CT! (Child abuse remarks)
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
On another thread you said

"Of note, there is a clear connection between children knowing the anatomically correct names for body parts and a significant decrease in child sexual abuse. This has held for longitudinal as well as cross-sectional studies, supporting a claim of causation over mere correlation."

Do you have links or citations for this? My girlfriend and I have talked about what to call body parts with children, and she doesn't like the idea of using anatomically correct names. If what you're saying is true, I think I'd like to be able to point to facts with her before bringing it up again.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Sure. There is a follow-up post in that thread with a link to lay information with more links. Do you need more than that? If you do, what level of detail, publication, etc. are you looking for?

---

Edited to add: I think there is a lot to be said for being calm and matter-of-fact about sexual issues. Age-appropriate, but not as if this is a special/secret/terrible-or-magical part of life that can't be discussed with one's parents like any other part of life.

It's the secret, dirty/unspeakable, too-important, or too-embarrassing that makes it easy to prey on kids. They are shamed into not telling their parents, often.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, CT. I missed it! Not that being blind is odd for me [Smile]
Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Links, e.g.,
Child Protection: Serious Business
Parents for Megan's Law
Private Parts: What to call them
Kentucky's Health & Human Services Child Abuse Prevention Month tips (see bottom)
Child Care Aware's Following Simple Rules May Prevent Child Abuse

There are specific studies, but people who are not science-n-stats-oriented types usually don't seem to find them as useful as lay sites. They would take some time to find. If you need them, I will go looking.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

No worries! [Smile]

This is great: Iowa's Preventing Child Sexual Abuse

There are some good articles linked on how to talk to children about sexual abuse without being overly frightening or inappropriate.

---

Edited to add: Also good stuff on normal child development, risk factors, training -- a great warehouse of information. Nicely done, Iowa!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a cost, though. Because there's always the possibility your daughter will run into the room while you're hosting a small party and announce "Daddy, this toilet paper really hurts my vagina!"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
There's a cost, though. Because there's always the possibility your daughter will run into the room while you're hosting a small party and announce "Daddy, this toilet paper really hurts my vagina!"

If I'm at a party where this happens and the crowd doesn't burst into laughter, that's not a party I want to be at. [ROFL]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the volume, not the words, that are the main concern there.

In my experience, anyway.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

my daughter ladies and gentlemen she's here all week
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.