FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Best SF/Fantasy Series (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Best SF/Fantasy Series
Sanya_of_the_Slavs
Member # 6230

- posted      Profile for Sanya_of_the_Slavs   Email Sanya_of_the_Slavs         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the recomendation for the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I thought the first book starts a little slow, but once the story gets going its amazing; really well thought out and imaginative.

Pullman's His Dark Materials series is also very interesting. I guess technically its a young adult read, but it explores some interesting topics (although I thought the end was pretty sloppy).

I also recomend the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde. I don't know if they really fit into the SF/Fantasy genre though. More like literary fiction. There are three out so far: the Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book and the Well of Lost Plots. I haven't read the third one yet but I highly enjoyed the first two. The combination of originality, thought-provoked-ness and English wit is addictive, at least to me.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of the Mars trilogy by KSR, can anyone tell me if "The Martians" is any good? I've read the trilogy, and i've seen this extra book in the bookstore, and i wonder if it's worth buying.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, have to say that everyone just about mentioned what I would say. KSR (Haven't read the martians yet either) is great. Goodkind - awesome. Williams....eh....a bit long winded, but good reading. Robert Jordan- Great series, but god knows when he's going to end it (wheel of time). I myself love Ben Bova books. The Orion seris is good, but Mars, and Return to Mars are great and so with the Asteroid Wars (A.K.A. The Precipice and The Rock Rats) also suggest Robert Heinlein. sorry for long winded
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, digging_holes, though I haven't read The Martians, a good friend of mine has. He's a huge Mars Trilogy fan -- he recommended the books to me -- and he absolutely hated The Martians.

It also got an average of 3/5 stars at Amazon.com, which is pretty bad for Amazon.

[ February 28, 2004, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: Fitz ]

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. That is bad. I guess I won't invest my ten bucks into that one. Did your friend say why he didn't like it?
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.