FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Mormons missionaries and OSC (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mormons missionaries and OSC
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Scriptures written for personal enlightenment and spirtual growth are written in very different ways than books which, while they may do the above, are primarily for enjoyment.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think that it's so recognizable because of the operation on the leg in the first book.
But Joseph Smith's infection was not due to having a mill stone dropped on him, and the operation was performed by a doctor, not attempted by a preacher or completed by a family member. The main point of kids being told that story is that he trusted his dad to hold him rather than take liquor. Though it's kind of a strange lesson considering that the Word of Wisdom was written many years later.

I know who Gerald Lund is but I am not interested in reading his books. I started reading one and didn't really like it very much.

Crux- sorry you felt I was being judgemental. A non-mormon living in Utah is a rarity on this board (I think) and we like having different viewpoints.

Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried reading the Work and The Glory for a GUY.

Note to self: Never compromise your standards for a guy. [Big Grin]

I made it through half of book 4 and couldn't take it anymore. The. bad. choppy. writing style.

AAHHHHHHH!!!

Maybe that's why it didn't work out between Matt and I. *snort* Ok. Maybe not. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crux
Member # 6364

- posted      Profile for Crux   Email Crux         Edit/Delete Post 
Occasionally my wit and sacasm go over looked. I wasn't serious, as i'm sure she wasnt either... and if she was, then i pine for her.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crux
Member # 6364

- posted      Profile for Crux   Email Crux         Edit/Delete Post 
Shrika. A non mormon in utah is rare on any board. I am converting as I stated earlier... but i definately am more open minded to change than many where i live.. mormon or otherwise. The was no stereo typing of any people at all, i was just talking about the people i have come across in my travels and in my home. It's hard being in utah and not being LDS. That's why i waited till so long to convert after i decided that my beliefs were shared by the church... I wanted to make sure i wasn't converting so that my life would be easier, so i could date who i wanted, be friends with those i chose, not get in fights, or be told i was going to hell... i wanted to convert because I believed. But i was never sure how far my belief was taking me, and how far my need for acceptance was pushing me. I believe myself to be much more stable now that i'm in my early adult hood. I think that i'm making the right decision... for the right reason. Thanks for your reply and your viewpoints... they are always welcome when directed towards me.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is: Do Mormons love Orson Scott Card as much as German people love David Hasselhoff?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phil Tice
Member # 6370

- posted      Profile for Phil Tice   Email Phil Tice         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure that's even possible
Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defender/In/Arms
Member # 6368

- posted      Profile for Defender/In/Arms           Edit/Delete Post 
i try not to connect osc's books to mormons too much because just because hes a mormon doesnt mean he has to write just to a mormon audience if he did that it would limit everything
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
I think that it's so recognizable because of the operation on the leg in the first book.

But Joseph Smith's infection was not due to having a mill stone dropped on him, and the operation was performed by a doctor, not attempted by a preacher or completed by a family member.
Yes, there are differences. But that doesn't change the fact that *I* recognized the leg operation as being like Joseph Smith's, clear as day, first reading.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The real question is: Do Mormons love Orson Scott Card as much as German people love David Hasselhoff?
I was beginning to think that nobody would get that reference.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I so enjoyed the Homecoming series! I am still holding to the inner hope that there will be at least one more book in the series to come. Hope springs eternal.

I have been frustrated (living in Utah) with the lack of people with which to share my delight in OSC's writings. Of my family, only my sister appreciates his books, and the people I have spoken to in my community don't care to read his books. It's nice to be able to read & share comments here.

(I have not posted much on this side, I will probably do so more in the future.)

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really enjoying the Homecoming series so far (I'm in book 4). I find myself enjoying the detail of the world that he created and the creativity he used to work the Nephi stories into the plot. It's been fun to see the ways he approached it all.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Defender/In/Arms
Member # 6368

- posted      Profile for Defender/In/Arms           Edit/Delete Post 
i think what most people are missing is this. just because someone famous is of a religion doesnt mean that all of that religion will love him. its what he writes that determines if they like him or not. and most mormons do not approve of some things he writes. but there are some who do. so you see there is no over whelming or...unover whelming love for osc. some mormons may think its cool that osc is a mormon like them but other than that i do not believe the fact that he is mormon decides someones liking for him.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
(((dobie)))
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PhilipTraum
Member # 6331

- posted      Profile for PhilipTraum   Email PhilipTraum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The main point of kids being told that story is that he trusted his dad to hold him rather than take liquor. Though it's kind of a strange lesson considering that the Word of Wisdom was written many years later.
Yeah, because no Christians before the LDS opposed liquor consumption.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boriquajake
Member # 6410

- posted      Profile for boriquajake   Email boriquajake         Edit/Delete Post 
Crux, I am sure that it is in bad form for me to comment on the exchange you just had with what's her name, but here I am not only doing it, but registering as a member just to do so. Anyway I was just going to comment on the fact tht as a life-long mormon (I consider myself fairly orthadox, devout, insert whatever adjective you feel appropriate) I have always heard about these people who say other people are "going to hell" for saying this or wearing that or blah, blah, blah but the part I don't understand is why I never seem to hear or see these examples of close-minded oppresion first hand. One would think that if such things really occured with the same sort of frequency with wich one hears the complaints a person like myself would have, at some point in time, at least known someone prone to making unfair, blanket condmenations. While I watch comedy central, read Niche, (once, a long time ago but you get the point; I dont read Lund even though I might like him), spend time on Napster and even, gasp, on occasion swear in front of other church members I have never been told I was going to hell or anything of the sort by even the most provincial of Utah mormons. What I think really tends to happen is that some people enjoy feeling important and one of the ways many people go after that sensation is by creating a little bit of a persecution complex. Any half joking comment on one's choice of nose ring is turned into a witch hunt in the name of suppressing freadom of expression. Some people will even go out of their way to tweak the nose of the more sensitive of their neighbors just to get a reaction and when they are successfull will lovingly replay the cherished moment adding little embellishments until the incedent is transformed into Salem with he or she playing the part of the wrongfully accused victim of town's mysoginistic ire. Anyway I'm not really sure why I felt compelled to comment when all I have accomplished to to appear self-important and overly impressed with my fair-mindedness. The internet is the oddest thing, I would never butt into someone else's conversation like this in real life but for some reason here it seemed like it was O.K. As I glance at my little paragraph I see that I am looking more and more like what I least like about BBs. Not to mention the groing shame I feel over my inability to punctuate, spell or otherwise communicate coherently, and on BB made up of readers of books no less. Oh well, I have spent too much time on this now to not hit the "add reply" button. Just let me end by saying that I would guess that the percentage of members of the mormon church that know and enjoy OSC's work is quite of bit higher than that of the general public, as witnessed by the contributors to this forum, he is by know means held up as some sort of favorite son.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boriquajake
Member # 6410

- posted      Profile for boriquajake   Email boriquajake         Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked at the size of that post. Wow, what kind of self impressed jackass writes that much crap?

I just went back and read the rest of the thread. I am a moron. The last thing this board needs is me sticking my nose in the conversations of people engaged in a rational discussion. I wasn't even bright enough to notice that I hadn't even read the entire topic. Sorry for stepping in and ironiclly doing to Crux just what I took such great pains to say nobody does.

BTW when in my first post I described myself as fairly literate I was being generous.

[ April 04, 2004, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: boriquajake ]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing wrong with joining a public discussion like this. It's a public board, and everything on it is public.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boriquajake
Member # 6410

"Yeah, because no Christians before the LDS opposed liquor consumption."

That is a great point. I am embarresed to say that I had asked myself the same question.

lcarus
Member # 4395

- posted      Profile for lcarus           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Jake, I think your point in your first post was a good one. I remember when I was Catholic always hearing horror stories about mean and judgmental Catholics, or Catholic priests or nuns, and finding that this was totally inconsistent with my experience. I agree that people sometimes work to perpetuate some of these stereotypes.
Posts: 1112 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Admiral Ender
Member # 6414

- posted      Profile for Admiral Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
the mormon religion has very true and reasonable beliefs, as many doctors have proved, liquor can cause liver disease, all the other things have a reasonable reason.
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boriquajake
Member # 6410

You all are more kind than I deserve. I just hope Crux, the one I aimed my snotty little tirad at can find it in her heart to forgive me.
captainmoriar
Member # 6416

- posted      Profile for captainmoriar   Email captainmoriar         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I don't know about the overall membership here but I am not Mormon/LDS and found out that OSC was I believe after I read Ender's Game. So for me I cannot draw any parallels such as the ones you draw (One day when I have the time I plan on reading the Book of Mormon).

I worked at a Boy Scout summer camp and the last week was Mormon week when the Mormon troops would come to make it easier to accomodate their needs such as no caffeine, wanting to hold their own campfires instead of staff-led, etc. Overall though they didn't seem really weird or anything but also since I was working there I didn't have any religious discussions with them since that would obviously be a subject that could cause problems. But to those who have not had much contact with Mormons they are not weird or anything.

The above is sort of a ramble so I hope it makes sense [Smile]

Oh and I am a Christian if anyone wants to know.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.