FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » If Geoff Card is Ender, then who's Peter?

Author Topic: If Geoff Card is Ender, then who's Peter?
osc'solderthanmeafterall
Member # 7054

- posted      Profile for osc'solderthanmeafterall   Email osc'solderthanmeafterall         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's rude of me to wonder about OSC's personal life based on his works, but I keep thinking there must be a brother Card out there who isn't that thrilled with Orson's success. I suspect he comes from a large family, and maybe having that many people related to one another, someone is bound to not like someone else.
I also started _Alvin Journeyman_ in the last few days and found the first chapter really funny but kind of sad too -- probably the people criticizing him don't even like science fiction, and it's too bad he has to even think about them. Christie

[ January 19, 2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: osc'solderthanmeafterall ]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff Card is not Ender. OSC thinks that Geoff Card is Ender, but only because OSC is so good at projecting himself onto his young children [Smile] Ender thinks and acts exactly the way OSC wished he could or did as a child. So, in a sense, Ender is actually an idealized version of young OSC. Geoff Card, on the other hand, has a completely different personality and set of talents than Ender.

OSC has freely talked about the fact that he wrote Ender's family the way he perceived his own family as a child — an idolized older sister, and a bullying older brother. He's since gained a much better perspective on both real-life siblings (hence both Peter and Valentine becoming far less extreme and caricaturish in their personalities as adults), but the feelings associated with Ender's relationships with his siblings are based on OSC's own feelings and perceptions as a child.

[ January 19, 2005, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Puppy ]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjmelberg
Member # 7099

- posted      Profile for jjmelberg   Email jjmelberg         Edit/Delete Post 
whoa...how did you know that puppy?
Posts: 28 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Look at puppy's profile and see if you can figure it out.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
wait... Mooselet writes stories?!
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure he does, Kama. So far, Papa or Mama has to do the transcribing, though. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osc'solderthanmeafterall
Member # 7054

- posted      Profile for osc'solderthanmeafterall   Email osc'solderthanmeafterall         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't really expect to be answered by one of the people in question. Very interesting to have the authoritative answer so quickly. [Cool] Christie
Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christie

quote:
but I keep thinking there must be a brother Card out there who isn't that thrilled with Orson's success.
One of the tiny tidbits I have learned by being around here a lot is that OSC prefers to be called "Scott", not Orson. (or at least, that is how his family refers to him).

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
osc'solderthanmeafterall
Member # 7054

Thanks, Farmgirl. I probably would have referred to him as "Mr. Card" but wanted to clarify which Mr. Card I meant. Now I feel like I'm in his living room and might as well call him Scott. Christie
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
it must be creepy to have other people write about you and your family on the internet.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also slightly creep to have somebody speak about himself in the third person and not let people know that he's talking about himself.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was pretty awesome.

Then again, I'm in the know, and that doesn't happen too often.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
Superheroes do it all the time. [Wink]
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I just feel weird saying, "Me me me my dad my dad me me," like those words should be coming out of the mouth of a spoiled nine-year-old. Speaking in the third person makes it feel (to me) more like I'm providing useful historical facts and analysis, rather than invoking my family relationships for attention [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
I think celia would agree with that, Dog. But only she knows for sure.
Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, Geoff. I've always actually thought it sounded weirder, the whole third-person thing. Although I'll admit that "Geoff smash!" sounds better than "I smash!"
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Kama thinks Tom should start speaking in third person, too. It's cool.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Plus, it's a mark of royalty.

[Razz]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I actually speak in third person quite a bit around the house. I wonder why I never write in third person...
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
Amka will ignore Geoff's presence in this thread.

I know who Peter is! Peter is Scotty, the Cards oldest. You know, the one who was tragically murdered.

Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Plus, it's a mark of royalty.
I thought that royalty had to speak in first person plural, not third person.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.