FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Hmmm. Mr. Card,

Author Topic: Hmmm. Mr. Card,
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it that when you're talking about us writers in Characters and Viewpoint, we're breathing life into the stories within our souls...

But here at Hatrack you're writing is just making stuff up and selling it?

[Frown]

Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you feel those two are mutually exclusive, verai?
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm confused by your second sentence; are you sure you meant the contraction and not the possessive? [Confused]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Because I detest pretentiousness in artists; and because in C&V I was trying to encourage novice writers to regard the pursuit of excellence in their work as being worthwhile: i.e., storytelling matters, and therefore doing it well matters also.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, you sell yourself short. Storytelling DOES matter, whether you profit from it or not. It's okay for professional artists to be in love with their work and the things they make. I wouldn't want to buy from someone who doesn't enjoy what they do.

Also, I'd hate to think you only write because it keeps food on the table. I'd like to think there's some part of you that is snickering delightedly to get away with storytelling as a job.

I have a hairdresser, a professional, who charges a bit more than most of the others in my town. Yet I choose her BECAUSE she loves her work so much. She's happy, and it makes her more creative. My hairdressing time is enjoyable to me because of her dedication and care. In fact, my hubby the penny-pincher also goes to her for his haircuts.

I do so hope you are only kidding or being falsely modest when you talk about your work as "boring" or just a means to take care of your family. When I read your works (or at least the ones that speak to me), I don't want to find ambivalence or mediocrity in them. I want your passion and the best you can do.

[ May 12, 2005, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Jenny Gardener ]

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Demanding, aren't I? [Kiss]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verai
Member # 7507

- posted      Profile for Verai   Email Verai         Edit/Delete Post 
sry 4 teh gramar messteaks. It's not my strong point. My strong point is making sandwiches at Subway, which is braggable.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, when I talk about just writing for money etc., that's false modesty. I think storytelling is what shapes a culture; that's why I encourage people to lend my books, because I'm more interested in culture-shaping than in money.

But I do in fact depend on the money I make from writing in order to make ends meet. And it is absolutely true that running out of money is one of the primary reasons I actually sit down to write a novel. So it's right up there with reshaping the world as a motive for my writing. Just because I want to get paid for it doesn't mean I'm not sincere in my belief that writing actually matters ... including MY writing.

Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.