FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A dream is freaking me out!

Author Topic: A dream is freaking me out!
Julie
Member # 5580

- posted      Profile for Julie   Email Julie         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a really odd dream last night and now I am incredibly freaked out. It's silly and a dream shouldn't be affecting me this way, especially because normally I don't believe that dreams have any significance to them. This one was different though.

Before I explain my dream there are a few things to explain as to why this dream is affecting me. First of all my grandmother died a few weeks ago. (Nov. 2 to be exact.) Second, yesterday I went to my cousin's birthday party, so everyone from that side of the family was there (including my grandmother's husband). Any way, now the dream:

It started out as sort of an end of school/graduation party for me, which is odd enough considering I'm only a junior. By the end of the party it was kind of a camp reunion/end of summer camp thing. For some reason I had to leave by 12:00 or else I would never get to college on time. So I get in the car with my dad and somehow I end up at my grandmother's house. I'm talking to her husband and we walk into her family room and sit down across from each other and continue talking. I look over to my left and there lying on the couch is my grandmother, her eyes closed. I stared at her for a little while, trying to figure out what she was doing there and whether she was alive or not. Suddenly she started moving and I look at her husband with a mixture of panic and confusion and point to my grandmother. He asks me, "What, why is your grandmother wearing my sweatshirt?" and I answer, "No, why is she alive?" She said, "They were about to put me in the ground and I woke up. I was lucky the other proctor was there." (I have no idea what she meant by the other proctor, except that it was someone who heard her call for help.) He asked her if it was hard to breathe in the coffin, I don't remember what she answered; I think it was some weird head movement. My first question was, "Did you tell Mom?" and he look annoyed, like he didn't want to have to tell anyone else and asked me, "How would they want to find out, like, the whole family?" My grandmother got up and walked into the next room to call my mom and closed the door behind her. Like a TV show I could see through the door and she ran out of air and fell down. Her husband heard it and said something about her laying down on the bed. Even though I could see what was happening, I didn't actually know if you know what I mean. I kind of left the person who was me and spied on the next room while my person didn't move.

The next thing I remember is laying down on the floor of an airport waiting for my family to arrive. My grandmother and her husband were there too. I was really tired and was starting to drift off to sleep and I remember thinking, "This is just a dream, don't get your hopes up. It doesn't feel like a dream but this has to be a dream.... But I'm falling asleep which means I'm not already asleep so it can't be a dream... But it has to be a dream, this can't happen..." And then I woke up.

I don't know what this means to me. It's kind of making me doubtful, even though I saw her at the wake and she definitely wasn't alive. Maybe it's a sign that I should have more faith in God because I really don't believe much that they have to say in church and I've basically come to the conclusion that once you die, that's it, the end. It could be telling me that I will some day see her again. Whatever it means I haven't been able to stop thinking about it and I had to tell someone or write it down or something. Any ideas on what it could mean?

Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay----Since I don't really know you--I can help ou with an individual translation.

What I can tell you is this---dreams are your unconcious talking to you about your concious life. Take each symbol in the dream and try to figure out what it means to you. You may find an answer quite different from what the dream entailled.

You just lost your grandmother---I am sorry. When my grandmother died, I dream about her talking to me a week later. I think it may have been part of grieving, but I cna't tell.

If you get a dream dictionary out of the library, it might help you sort it out. I have one at home and it helps a great deal.

Note: very, very few dreams are prophetic or psychic. I had one recently: I dreamt I woke up and my parents had come home from vacation a day early. I woke up for real, and I found myself at a friend's house and we laughed about it.

Guess who woke me up when they came home from their vacation a day early [Smile]

Anyway--I wish I could help you more---but I have to go to class.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid that, as far as I'm concerned, NO dreams are prophetic or psychic.

Basically, my interpretation is this: you're feeling guilty about not being more metaphysical, and are depressed over your grandmother's death. End of story.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I know the weirdest dreams are those in which, at one moment, you're sure you woke up... Just to really wake up a few moments later. Usually when you wake up <within> the dream, you find yourself in a situation quite similar to reality, though different in some way you won't see right away. Frightening, indeed...

And, as Starla* said, I think that the fact that your grandmother died so recently - for which I'm sorry - influenced very much your dream. As opposite to it being a "prophetic" dream ! Btw, I don't believe in dream interpretation, nor in prophecies, nor in God, so beware of my sinful words ! [Wink]

So... So don't take it seriously. It will pass, and hopefully, you'll remember her for what she brought in your life.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

I don't necessarily think it means anything, I'm just trying to figure out why I can't let go of this dream.
Posts: 981 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry for your loss, Julie.

Dreams are part of the way you process what you have recently experienced. Sometimes they allow us to figure things out that our conscious mind cannot, via the illogical jumps that are so natural to dreams, but which we mostly dismiss when we are awake.

I would actually agree that a dream dictionary might be useful. Not necessarily because there is some hidden message in your dream (possible, but unlikely, I think). Rather, as a way of putting the dream to rest. Working through the elements of the dream might help you let it go.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugar+Spice
Member # 5874

- posted      Profile for Sugar+Spice   Email Sugar+Spice         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that it is possible to see and know future events, such as deaths, in dreams. I have experienced it myself and believe me, it is horrible. I think sometimes you can know things about those you love before they happen because you are so close to them. I just put it down to one of life or God's mysteries, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I don't think that this is what you experienced. I had a dream very much like yours just after my grandmother died. I just remember standing in her hospital room and seeing her lying on the bed. I asked her why she wasn't dead and she told me 'but I am dead, I just haven't gone away'. It upset me very much, but I don't believe
that I talked to my grandmother. I was thinking about her all day and wishing her back so badly that my mind brought her back in my dreams. Even if you were expecting her death after a long illness, as I was, you will probably still experience some shock and disbelief that the worst has actually happened. You may have one of these dreams, or twenty, but I think they are just your mind sorting out how you feel.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly
Member # 5898

- posted      Profile for butterfly   Email butterfly         Edit/Delete Post 
What does it mean when you dream that the mafia is chasing after you to kill you?

I doubt that I want to be killed by the mafia even subconsciously .... though perhaps I long for more excitement in my life? [Dont Know]

Posts: 91 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Correlle_Fyrebrand
Member # 5839

- posted      Profile for Correlle_Fyrebrand   Email Correlle_Fyrebrand         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry about your grandmother, Julie, and I'm not going to say I know how you feel because I don't, but I am sorry about losing that bond with someone that you love and care about from your life. I don't know you quite well, but I'll try to help and I hope that you don't expect anything less of me.

Dreams usually manifestation from your mind. Rarely are they actual prophecies and made from pyschic powers, which I do believe in from actual experiences. You said that you probably didn't believe in it, but you couldn't understand why this dream you couldn't just let go. Probably because this was someone close to you that you had a bond with. Bonds aren't easily broken and it sounds like your mind doesn't want to let it your grandmother go just yet that's all. You may not want to take it to heart, but your mind does. You just need to give your entire being time to grieve. [Sleep]

Don't take my words to heart either, I mean what do I know, I'm just one person with an opinion. But sure hope I helped one way or another.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julie
Member # 5580

Thanks for the support guys! I'm feeling a bit better, though still kind of odd. It's just one of those days I guess. [Dont Know]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.