FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » As to the sixth Harry Potter book.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: As to the sixth Harry Potter book....
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
.....does anybody know when it's supposed to come out?
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but I do know the next movie comes out this year, the movie after that comes out next year, and the one after that supposedly comes out in 2007.

Just in case you were interested.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
GoF comes out the year after that? That's insane that they're that far along in filming already. I can't imagine packing that movie in in under three hours.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I expect it'll be a while on the next book--didn't she just have a baby not too long ago?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard somewhere that they were planning on cutting GoF into two movies (like Kill Bill).

I can't wait to see what they do to the fifth book, then

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

That's an idea. Where do you think they'd make the division?

Edit: Also, don't you think Anthony Hopkins would make a great Moody?

[ April 29, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
After the second task? Or after the Yule ball?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Noem, she did. 10 months ago, IIRC.

And as of March 5, the 6th book wasn't finished yet. So it's hard to guess when it will be out.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Production has already begun on Movie 4, and there are NO plans to divide it.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Then they'll have to cut a whole lot, I suppose.
Taalcon
Member # 839

It is a movie. You want the whole entire story, go read the book.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
But breaking long movies into two (or more) isn't impossible. Check out Matrix 2 and 3 and the Kill Bill installments.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

I never noticed your member number before, Chris. Awesome! It's such a geek number.

Anyway, Matrix 2 & 3 were always planned to be released as individual films. Kill Bill was divided after the fact.

They're planning for this film to be no longer than 2 1/2 hours, tops. The screenplay will reflect that.

peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
A good site for all things HP related is The Leaky Cauldron.
Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

No need to be snippy. Or utterly rude for that matter.

[ April 29, 2004, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Book ]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Book, I don't think they meant to be rude, it's just that the same conversation came up many times about LOTR.

Any good book would be impossible to be made into a movie, word for word. I think they will be able to do a good version of it in2 1/2 to 3 hours, same as they did for the LOTR films. They had to leave a lot out of the LOTR films, but their version is still as good as it gets as far as film goes.

It's like OSC says about the EG movie. He said that not everything the fans will want will be filmed, but the books will always be there even after the film is made.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
What bothers me about the movie version missing chunks of the plot is that some of them become more important later on, and I don't want to see the movies become progressively awkward trying to cover plot points that should have been included earlier.

Minor example: None of the movies have included much about the ghosts (except for Nearly Headless Nick and Moaning Myrtle). Peeves shows up much more in the 5th book and heavier use of them later on (should it happen) might look a bit odd.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, I know, that's why it seemed rude. I was just stating the obvious, I didn't expect so much hostility for almost no discernable reason.
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
http://imdb.com/news/wenn/#2

John Malkovich has signed on to play He Who Must Not Be Named in the fourth movie. Quite interesting [Smile]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

No he hasn't.

Which is a shame. He would've been perfect.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher Walken would have added a nice dimension to Voldemort, don't you think?

I said, bow. Or I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't they going for all British actors? Or was that just to shut Rosie O'Donnel up?
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish they'd lengthen GoF. I KNOW that the movie can't be as complete as the book, but I was reading the book and thinking to myself, if you include even just the pertinent parts and leave out 90% of it, you still have an entire movie by the time the first trial is over. Anyway, the book ain't coming out anytime soon, IMO. There was such a long time between the last two...and having a baby couldn't have had too much to do with it, since the bulk of her work would have been basically over by the time the baby came.
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aeroth
Member # 6269

- posted      Profile for Aeroth   Email Aeroth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, don't you just miss the days when JKR was pressured enough to come out with all her books yearly? Those were the days...
Posts: 121 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care what happens, as long I get to read a seventh book, I'm happy.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I was spoiled. I was introduced to Harry Potter no less than a month before PoA came out.

Woe is me.

Nick
Member # 4311

I started reading right before Prisoner of Azkaban came out. I waited for Gof and OotP very impatiently. I'm used to it though.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many scenes in GOF that shouldn't be cut out...
Sometimes I really hate when people make movies out of books I love.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

That's the problem. How are they going to include all those things intricate to the plot without reconstructing the plot altogether?
Nick
Member # 4311

I know Synesthesia. Take Timeline for example. [Frown]
Book
Member # 5500

You know, since LOTR came out I bet they're going to try and more MORE movies out of books. The excuse will be "Well, hey, it worked for LOTR." And next thing you know, Alice in Wonderland involves a serial killer and a steamy love affair.
Nick
Member # 4311

Well, Lord of the Rings movies have been attempted already. They were terrible. The recent LOTR movies are rare indeed.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
The L of the R movies kept the spirit of the book and managed to enthrall audiences. They at least made logical transitions for the most part.
But most books to movies don't do that.
Worse ever books to movies-
Practical Magic. It was horrible.
There are others, but I can't think of them.
Best book to movie-
Matilda. It kept a lot from the book and added new stuff as well. A great movie!
And also the movie version of the Little Princess was very, very excellent.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I don't usually like movies like that, but Matilda was one I really liked. [Smile]
harrypottergirl
Member # 7063

- posted      Profile for harrypottergirl   Email harrypottergirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ilove Harry Potter! I want to figure out what the sixth book Harry Potter and the Pureblood Prince is about . Does anyone know?
[The Wave] [Dont Know] [Cry]

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
harrypottergirl
Member # 7063

- posted      Profile for harrypottergirl   Email harrypottergirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm playing Harry Potter 2, and I can't figure out how to defeat Aragog. Does anyone know? [Confused]
Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it Harry Potter and the Pure Blood Prince? I thought it was Half-Blood Prince? [Dont Know]

When Order of Phoenix came out we rushed out to buy it the first day--we had to go to three stores before we found it and then we had to pay FULL price [Grumble] Then we read it out loud as a family and had a rule that no one could peek ahead (this rule did get broken a few times [Wink] )
It took longer this way- took us about a week- but it prolonged the experience.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
It's Half-Blood Prince. There was interesting speculation before Rowling clarified as to where the dash should go...and by this is the author of Eats, Shoots and Leaves justified. She would have hysterics.

Anyway, Half Blood-Prince or Half-Blood Prince. The former had fans speculating if the next book is primarily about Snapes with verification of his half vampiric nature. But no...it's Half-Blood Prince. Oh well.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
We were guessing that it might refer to Hagrid...

As to John Malkovich playing Voldemort, THANK HEAVENS that he's not. (He's so monotone!!!) I'm so excited to see Ralph Fiennes do it, I know he'll be disgustingly evil!! [Evil]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I think that's probably a good guess. I went to a book signing by John Granger where he talked about it....it was really interesting. If you ever get a chance to hear him speak, he's very entertaining.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Hagrid does seem like the most likely candidate as there has been serious mention of the giants and it seems poor Harry already has enough titles heaped on his head at present.

I was working at Kroger when OotP came out - so I had it on release night and was already a quarter done by the time my shift ended.

I have to second the "if you want to enjoy the movie, ignore the book" chorus. I've yet to see a movie truly capture the essence of any book I really enjoyed. Of course, that may just be a comment on my literary tastes and movie expectations.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babager
Member # 6700

- posted      Profile for babager   Email babager         Edit/Delete Post 
I do know that the Half-Blood Prince is NOT Harry [Smile] -per something I read by JKR
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just another Dharma bum
Member # 6879

- posted      Profile for Just another Dharma bum   Email Just another Dharma bum         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I work for a Harry Potter site, so I can give you what I know [Big Grin]

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has been speculated to be out next summer, as she has finished at least 14 chapters of the book and has said it will be shorter than Phoenix. This is just speculation.

The release date, like the title was, will be released on J.K. Rowling's site, www.jkrowling.com, so until then just wait and see.

UPDATE: According to a book store, the release date will be announced in January...

[ November 26, 2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: Just another Dharma bum ]

Posts: 84 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read a couple of essays online, and I think i'm convinced that the half blood prince is Tom Riddle. This essay explains it better than I could on my own.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I just got some time to piddle around on the jkrowling.com and it was so fun! What a great website! [Smile]

PS blacwolve, Rowling herself on the site mentioned above stated clearly that the half-blood prince is neither Harry nor Voldemort.

[ November 26, 2004, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
You are such geeks! Aren't you ashamed!? Next thing, you'll be posting in some forum dedicated to some obscure Sci-Fi writer. Oh, wait... [Eek!]

Fond memories...he...I had quite an adventure buying "The Order of Phoenix". It came out in Brazil (in english) and in the rest of the world at the same time. And evey book was sold VERY fast. In English. I had to run a lot to get mine, hehehe.

I'm such a geek... [Blushing]

[ November 27, 2004, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Eduardo_Sauron ]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PS blacwolve, Rowling herself on the site mentioned above stated clearly that the half-blood prince is neither Harry nor Voldemort.
Narnia- I know, the essay takes care of that. I could summarize here, but they say it so much better.

EDIT: I would quote it, but I'm not at all sure that would be ok with the author, which is why I'm not. I'm not trying to be a brat and force you to go out of your way just to see what I mean.

[ November 27, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: blacwolve ]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Cast of The Goblet of fire can be seen at This Site called Veritaserum.
Best Harry Potter Website I've seen.
The lady for Madam Maxime... doesn't look anything like a giant to me.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

mmm. I read that essay blacwolve...very curious. I'm not convinced, BUT I was really interested to see his theory. It makes sense. I also had missed that Rowling had said that talking about Tom Riddle would "ruin everything." Yikes! I thought we had gotten rid of him!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the guy they cast for Cedric. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.