FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Signs of Pregnancy (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Signs of Pregnancy
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
What are the immediate signs of pregnancy?

Thanks!

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the first sign a lack of menstration? I don't think there are any immediate signs.

[ June 08, 2004, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Sleepy, sleepy, sleepy

Nauseated in the morning....or all day.

Why?

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suneun
Member # 3247

- posted      Profile for Suneun   Email Suneun         Edit/Delete Post 
here's a list. The ones I hear about most often are morning sickness and missed period.
Posts: 1892 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
5. Fatigue: Feeling tired? No, make that exhausted. High levels of the hormone progesterone can make you feel as if you've run a marathon when all you've done is put in a day at the office. Fatigue is a hallmark of early pregnancy, though probably not a surefire symptom on its own.

Okay..so sleepy isn't a surefire symptom on its own.

I was exhausted, that was my first symptom.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
The second line?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
One of them is not a swollen, fetus filled belly.

So if the chick you hooked up with at a party three weeks ago has one and comes knocking on your door telling you congratulations and where to send the child-support check, it's most likely a scam.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt sick all day today.

But I'm not pregnant.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was preggers with Liam, the hubby told me so because the smell of my breath changed. He could also tell when I was on my period by the breath thing.

The week after I failed the "sniff test" I saw my doc, had a pap smear and a urine pregnancy test. It was negative, but a few days later it was positive.

Some other early syptoms that are not all conclusive are sluggish bowels and tender breasts.

It is important to note, though, that you can have all of these symptoms (including missed period) and not be pregnant.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My natural body odor changed, my hair got greasier, and I broke out with zits in my early pregnancy!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Livvy, me too!(the breath thing)

Isn't that weird? We must have very sensually sensitive husbands! (Lucky us)

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Jenny -- I guess I was pregnant around when I turned 12.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, yeah. Lucky, lucky us! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
my mom does the breath thing with me too.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
BEFORE the missed period -- these were the signs that told me immediately that I was pregnant:

Insatiable thirst (thought maybe I was diabetic -- I just was SO thirsty all the time)

And smells -- all smells were a lot stronger or different. Odors that normally didn't bother me really bothered me or seemed too strong.

My 2 cents

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* I don't think there really are any immediate signs of pregnancy. I was convinced I was pregnant for two months before I actually was and many of the "signs" can be over- or under-interpreted.

A pregnancy test or going to the doctor is the best bet

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the smell sensitivity too. But maybe it's only Republicans, or that is why we are Republican or something.

Fatigue. Needing to nap and I never nap.

Depression, for me. But I realized I was probably a bit unbalanced in my hormones at the time.

I've never, in 4 pregnancies, had a positive home pregnancy test. Everytime I took one it was negative and my period started the next day.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a RAGING B***H. I mean raging, like the worst PMS ever. I was puking almost immediately, right around the time I would have gotten my period. Tired beyond belief.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skrika03
Member # 5930

- posted      Profile for skrika03   Email skrika03         Edit/Delete Post 
The hormones of pregnancy are identical to the hormones of PMS. This means it may be hard to tell if one is pregnant or about to start a period.
Posts: 383 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

That would explain the worst cramps of my life, right before I went into labor!
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
The surest way to tell if you are pregnant is wait nine months and see if a baby pops out of your body. If it does, then you were pregnant!
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

That would be one way! [Smile]

What amazes me is when a woman can be so completely out of touch with her body, in such severe denial, that she does not realize she's pregnant until she goes into labor and delivers.

[Confused]

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew I prego with Superstation before I missed my period because I had to pee all the time (like every hour or less).
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

[Eek!]

Wow, Mama S. you must have been extremely uncomfortable towards the end.

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

You think she was uncomfortable?
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to above, weird cravings. I ate Tapatio from the bottle when I was pregnant with Andrew. Also pre kids I loved onions. Now I can't stand them.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

OK, what is Tapatio? It doesn;t even sound like food! (cravings for non-food can be a sign of pregnancy-haha)
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Tapatio, oh-la-la! I've been craving spicy food towards the end of my pregnancy, too. Although, I've also been eating sweets like mad.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
I was sleepy all the time, napping a lot.
My front area was kinda sensitive, not enough to be sore.
Smells really got to me, I could detect the odor of zippo fluid from across the room whenever someone lit one.
I was also very PMSy and cranky.

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
woooWEE, i can't WAIT to start havin' babies! hot dang! pms intensified, fatigue, nausea, and then BIRTH?
just makes me tingly all over.

good moms are great people.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

PG,
When they say it is all worth it, they mean it.
Being a mother is the best thing I've ever done. It is the most important thing in my life. It has brought the whole world into focus. I am more myself than I ever was.
Yes, pregnancy is sometimes hard. But I have friends who thrived in all pregnancies. They did not mind childbirth. They have four or more kids. So, sometimes it is sort of fun. You have a weird energy.
Liz

beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Two very early pregnancy symptoms for me: breast soreness, which I never get pre-menstration as many women do, and twinges of pain from the ligament that supports the uterus every time I try to get up too fast. *ouch!!* Although, now that I have had 3 children, I still get that twinge sometimes when I try to get up too fast.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I have friends who thrived in all pregnancies. They did not mind childbirth. They have four or more kids.
Pfft. I have an aunt with 12 kids (only 11 pregnancies, though), friends from high school who already have 6 or 7, and know personally several women who've had 13 or more.

A friend of a friend supposedly has 20 (19 pregnancies). [Eek!]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...*continues to postpone having kinds to far future*
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
We had neighbors with 16 kids... all of em no more then 13 months apart, and no twins.

*eyes*

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
They were Irish, right? [Wink]
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, signs of pregnancy include large weight gain, intense pain, half a dozen years of sleep deprivation and a lifetime of worry lines. Of course, children are usually a big tip-off that there has been a pregnancy. Not always, but mostly.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Thanks for the tapatio link. I am a sucker for a good hot sauce.
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
What does it mean if I'm on the pill but my period doesn't come (der, when it should)? Isn't that, like...not supposed to happen? (well, my last pill was friday and it's now wednesday and nothing) I went on it in the first place because I hadn't had a period in several months. They also said my ovaries are too big and my uterus too small, which either causes or is caused by lack of menstruation, but should be fixed eventually by the pill. Can that cause me to miss a period even when I'm taking my pills regularly?

Also, for future reference, how much leeway do I have on the pill? If I take a pill at 9 one day and 10 the next, will that lower its effectiveness? Can I get pregnant if I miss just one day? Two days? And I understand it's normal to gain weight, which I have. But is it just a little bit of one-time gain, or are we talking gain and gain? I don't want to buy new clothes.

That's it for now. [Smile]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
lissande read the fine print in the packaging that came with your particular pill. With some pills you are ok if you miss a day some two days, some none at all. It also depends on your individual body as well. Since you were having issues to begin with I'd definitely give your doctor a call.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

If you miss a pill.

As to being late, I don't know. It sounds like your situation is out of the ordinary to begin with. If you worry that you might be pregnant, a test might ease your mind. (Sometimes you can get cheap ones for $1 at the dollar store.)

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what type you're taking, since there's several. I believe the rule of thumb on missing is that 1-2 is ok, but more than that and you need to use an alternative birth control method until your next period. Of course, when I took the pill if I missed even 1, we used something else just in case.

space opera

edit: lookit - 3 posts at the same time - it's like we're a birth control club

[ June 09, 2004, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Space Opera ]

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Is that part of the clique too? [Wink]
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Bev. You have to know how to operate a birth control pill in order to join the clique. I don't wanna hear anything about that new-fangled birth control patch, either.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

Thanks everybody [Smile]

Banna - the fine print for my pills isn't in English!

I'm not seriously worried about being pregnant, since my relationship is missing that certain je ne sais quoi it takes to make a baby. It does cross my mind that my ovaries could have actually fled my body and I wouldn't necessarily know, though. Whatever way you look at it, they aren't holding up their end of the bargain.

to clarify, I don't really not know what. I do know. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I was gonna say....
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I would say if your period hasn't started by Friday (when you would be starting your new pack of pills), you should call your doctor. Mine always tended to start really late in the week and my doc said I should only be worried if it hadn't started before I started the new pack.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

That sounds reasonable, ludi. It's getting closer to the time I'm actually going to need these things to serve their intended purpose. I'm not anti-baby...I'm just anti-honeymoon-baby, if I have a choice. [Big Grin]
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I never got nauseus when pregnant,and I was usually nicer to be around.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richard Berg
Member # 133

- posted      Profile for Richard Berg   Email Richard Berg         Edit/Delete Post 
Update! So are you pregnant or not, Phanto?

Lissande: when you are on the pill you don't ever have periods, per se. When you switch to the placebos you give your body a quick breather from the hormone therapy during which you may bleed etc., but it's not the same medical phenomenon as menstruation. In fact, most women could take the progesterone pills straight through for years with no side effects if they wanted (blame the Catholics -- seriously).

As for safety, it all depends on your body's tolerance for fluctuating chemical levels. You probably won't get pregnant being off by an hour, but the only sane way to look at it is via statistics. The drop-off in effectiveness is *exponential*. So while being off by 8 hours might "only" drop the protection from 99.7% to 99%, that's tripling your chances -- and it curtails precipitously from there.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.