FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Tribute to the genius of Hayao Miyazaki (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A Tribute to the genius of Hayao Miyazaki
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is a tribute to Hayao Miyazaki and the animation studio he runs, Studio Ghibli. For those who don't know who he is, you can find information about him here . The site I linked to is a fan site, not the official site of Studio Ghibli.

Miyazaki is the creative force behind such films as Spirited Away , Kiki's Delivery Service , My Neighbor, Totoro , and Grave of the Fireflies among others.

Miyazaki has a true gift for storytelling and a way with animating facial expressions.

I was introduced to the works of Hayao Miyazaki by ludosti. Thanks to her, I am now addicted to anime. *isn't sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing* Thank you, ludosti.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graywolfe
Member # 3852

- posted      Profile for graywolfe   Email graywolfe         Edit/Delete Post 
The moment I picked up the American-Released Graphic Novels of, "Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind," I knew I was looking at the presence of a greatness that would hopefully be recognized someday in the US of A. It took nearly ten years, but it happened. [Smile] He's amazing, truly one of a kind. Too bad the American Theatrical/Video of release of Nausicaa was supposedly such edited and compromised utter sh**.
Posts: 752 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

graywolf, have you seen Spirited Away or any of the other Miyazaki films released by Disney?

A question for anyone who wishes to answer. How do I feed my anime addiction without having to rob a banl. [Wink]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a brother who downloads all of his anime. It's illegal, but you get better quality translations and earlier than you can get legitimately.

My wife bought an anime series, but now she wants the illegal version because the bootlegs are better than the legitimate ones.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard rumors that Disney will be redubbing and releasing Nausicca ala Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky (you forgot Laputa!) [No No]

*crosses fingers for a Disney Nausicca release*

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Lime, check out this link . It doesn't have a release date,so I'm not sure if it's out yet.
Lime
Member # 1707

You got me to thinking, Derrell, and I went over to trusty old VideoEta.com and found this.

Stupid Amazon said it was coming out in 2010. [Roll Eyes]

Mr. Porterio Head: my best anime watching experiences are all in front of a fan sub - the really poor translations always make for bigger laughs.

[ July 13, 2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yeah, I saw that on Amazon's site, too. Silly Amazon.com . I read somewhere that Buena Vista Home entertainment had postponed the release from August. [Angst] I hope not.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Lime -- the fan subs I've watched had better translations than the professional stuff.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

I've been using VideoETA.com for a while and it's never been wrong about a release date. Something unforseen could come up, but August 31st is probably a solid bet.
Derrell
Member # 6062

I hope, I hope, I hope. *crosses fingers* Where's the best place to get anime? As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'd like to be able to feed my anime addiction without having to rob a bank. [Wink]

[ July 13, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Derrell ]

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
and Grave of the Fireflies
Miyazaki did NOT direct Grave - that was Takahata, Miyazaki's associate, and fellow partner in what became Studio Ghibli. Grave of the Fireflies was actually released as a double feature with My Neighbor Totoro back in 1988. Talk about two totally different films!

MIYAZAKI/GHIBLI FILMS AVAILABLE, OR SOON TO BE AVAILABLE IN THE USA

Pre-Ghibli
-------------
Lupin the 3rd: Castle of Cagliostro (Miyazaki - Available Now!)
Panda Ko-Panda (Miyazaki/Takahata - Available now!)

Ghibli-Era
-------------
Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (Available early 2005)
Laputa: Castle In The Sky (Miyazaki - available now!)
My Neighbor Totoro (Miyazaki - available early 2005)
Grave of the Fireflies (Takahata - Available now!)
Kiki's Delivery Service (Miyazaki - Available now!)
Porco Rosso (Miyazaki - Available early 2005)
Princess Mononoke (Miyazaki - Available Now!)
Spirited Away (Miyazaki - Available Now!)

Coming Soon To Japanese & American Theaters
-----------------
How's Moving Castle (Miyazaki)

For all the Ghibli/Miyazaki/Takahata info you could ever want, check out http://www.nausicaa.net

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
the fan subs I've watched had better translations than the professional stuff.
Are you speaking as someone who knows Japanese?

The Mononoke sub, I believe, was more of a 'dub-title', based on Neil Gaiman's english adaptation, and not on the original Miyazaki Japanese script.

Kiki, Laputa, and Spirited Away, however, have more literal sub tracks.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

quote:
Lime -- the fan subs I've watched had better translations than the professional stuff.
I've heard of such subs, but haven't actually seen them. I'll admit that it wouldn't be hard in some cases to do better than a professional sub/dub script - those can be horrendous.

I don't think I've ever laughed harder than when I watched most of the You're Under Arrest TV series on a bad fan sub. My brains came out of my nose, a little.

[ July 13, 2004, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Lime ]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
Are you speaking as someone who knows Japanese?
No, but I wathced it with some people who do.

My wife bought a copy of 12 Kingdoms. It turns out that it was first translated into Chinese, and then that was translated into English.

On top of the double translation, each disc was translated differently. The beast in the show was translated as "Unicorn" on one disc, "Dragon" on another, and "Celestial Beast" on another.

In adition, on one of the discs, they swapped the names of a male and female character through the entire disc.

Compared to this, the fan-sub was great.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
(just imagine red hair) [Hat]

[Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
We watched Nausicaä last night. Awesome! I've never seen so many eye-popping colors. A real workout for my projector.

Tonight we'll watch Porco Rosso.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
READ THE NAUSICAA MANGA!
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Porco Rosso was great too. It could have been a big budget live-action movie. Lots of strong characters.

I'm going to have to watch it again in Japanese though. It seems that the English was a bit off, at least it was when Porco said "pigs gotta fly." The original Japanese said "a pig that doesn't fly is just a pig."

I noticed a coupon in the Nausicaä DVD box for the entire set of manga. Maybe I'll check it out. I'm not really into manga though. Browsing the manga aisle at the magazine shop is just asking to have your eyeballs burned out. There's some naughty stuff.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Synesthesia...I have the film, and I enjoy it...but it is absolutely nothing in comparrison with the manga...nothing
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Kiki's delivery service is one of my favoritest movies EVER.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
Two friends of mine and I watched Spirited Away together again last night...I *love* that movie. :-)
Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about timely. My in-laws sent me Nausicaa for my birthday yesterday on DVD, and we found the graphic novels at the bookstore.

quote:
Grave of the Fireflies was actually released as a double feature with My Neighbor Totoro back in 1988. Talk about two totally different films!
No kidding. I'll bet there were some messed-up little kids coming out of those theatres. Sheesh.

[ March 06, 2005, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: bunbun ]

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
"My Neighbor Totoro" should be available now -- I got it through Netflix a few weeks ago. It's a very sweet film.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
*ahem*

*chough* http://isohunt.com *chough

*sniffle* Sorry. Had a bit of a tickle [Wink]

[ March 06, 2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: IdemosthenesI ]

Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Grave of the Fireflies was actually released as a double feature with My Neighbor Totoro back in 1988. Talk about two totally different films!

No kidding. I'll bet there were some messed-up little kids coming out of those theatres. Sheesh.

They released them together because they thought Grave of the Fireflies was so depressing that they needed a pick-me-up afterwards.

And My Neighbor Totoro has been out on DVD for many years, but Disney got the rights to it and are rereleasing it with a new dub. It was supposed to come out with Nausicaa and Porco Rosso, but they delayed it.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
"Howl's moving castle" is wonderful. I love all Hayao Myazaki's movies I saw, but this one is in my top 2 with "Spirited away".
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheap anime isn't easy, but you can generally get good deals through mail order companies.

www.overstock.com had a pretty impressive selection of stuff that might be worth your time to peruse.

Also, www.half.com is now part of E-bay, but it looks like the site still has more or less the same prices.

Most of these DVDs come from stores going under and liquidating assets, so it's unlikely you'll find the more obscure titles - but you never know.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me they will release the original uncut japanese version of Totoro because if they do, I will be very happy.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Schwa
Member # 7468

- posted      Profile for Schwa   Email Schwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Yəp. But I don't know whən.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

I missed having Pixar's John Lassiter introduce these latest films as he has on previous Disney/Ghibli DVD releases. Darn that Eisner!

Did anybody get to see the John Lassiter video that accompanied the tin toy exhibit at Epcot's Japan pavillion last year? He's truly the Japanophile's Japanophile.

St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I actually have a fan subbed version of Howl's Moving Castle on my computer. I should get around to watching that some time.

I own three Miyazaki films on DVD: Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky.

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... I need to get Mononoke. I just have Kiki's Delivery Service and Spirited Away.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
bunbun just got Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind for her birthday and we watched it this afternoon. Good story with a typical "huh?" ending, but of course it had beautiful animation and excellent voice actors. I liked most of the music, too.

All in all, an excellent film.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
The only real problem I have with Disney dubs of Miyazaki movies is that they use physical actors, not voice actors. Some professional voice actors are a lot better than more famous actors. Of course, Disney is just going with what it knows, but their cartoons are created from scratch, and leaves room for lots of improv, where a voice actor can improv within the set lip movements he's given.

All that aside, however, I do love the Disney releases, especially of Princess Mononoke. That has been one of my favorites for a long time. Although I absolutely ADORE Laputa. ADORE it. I can watch that one all day and still love it.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter and I are tremendous Miyazaki fans!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Spirited Away is one of my all-time favorite movies. Hauntingly beautiful story and exquisite animation. Foreign, but not in a strange way. More like a look at something familiar through a stranger's eyes.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I get my neice a Miyazaki film for christmas every year. She loves them.

Last time, after opening all her presents, she didn't play with anything, just went to the DVD player.

I'm going to have to get Nausicaa. I'm not going to give her anything I haven't already watched and I'm out of Miyazaki films. (of course, this means I get to watch another one =)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

Mayday:

quote:
they use physical actors, not voice actors
Nausicaä has Patrick Stewart!

I love Castle in the Sky too. It's a great escape from the real world.

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
How can this thread be on the last page? We've just finished watching Spirited Away for the umpteenth time, and it still takes my breath away.

How do you know if your child is ready for Princess Mononoke?

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Not having any children, I'm not sure what to tell you Jenny, but I'd think that if they can handle more complicated subject matter and animated gore, they'd be ready for Princess Mononoke.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Have them read Hart's Hope. If they can handle that, they can handle Princess Monoke. [Wink]
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
How do you know if your child is ready for Princess Mononoke?
Ready for flying arrows and severed arms, or for Billy Bob's blasphemin'?

My little nephews got a kick out of Ashitaka wading in his jockstrap.

no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Definately "PG", but my seven-year old loved it.

Beautiful art and animation! Very magical.

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

The monk's shoes (geta) in Mononoke freaked me out. They're like stilts, helping the guy to run like crazy. Then he goes boulder-hopping down a gorge. I think I'll watch it again just to see those shoes.

I never saw the uni-pode variety of geta while in Japan.

no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar feeling when watching Grave of the Fireflies with the little girl's shoes. She was jumpin' around and stuff, they seemed awkward, but I guess you can get used to just about anything....
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I can vouch that some fansubs are better than the official subs. Yami no Matsuei, which I reccommended a lot when I noticed you could get it on Netflix (alas, before Netflixing it myself) was one such case.

After watching the dubbed version, I wanted to die from embarrassment, so I watched it in Japanese with subtitles. It was almost as bad. I was still sorely embarrassed. Plus the Netflix set only has three of the four story arcs, and the Fourth was the best, anyway. [Grumble]

A good fansub is often better than you might think -- they even include some notes of explanation, to clarify social differences, so they often make more sense.

Anime Keep is a very poular fansubbing group, but there are many.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, when will "Howl's moving castle" be available for you ? I heard it was in March, then nothing more...
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

The American Howl trailer is up!
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely love "Princess Mononoke" and "Spirited Away" was pretty cool too (a little weird and scary but still good)

I do own a copy of "Princess Mononoke" but I have this fear of whenever I watch it something bad happens soon after. First time I watched it I got Bronchitis and some other time I watched it right after I do mean right after I had my first symptoms of a tubal pregnancy.
I'm not usually a superstisious person but [Angst] ... it still scares me...
Please help me overcome this fear!!! [Eek!] [Razz]

[ April 22, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.