FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Howard Dean plays the race card (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Howard Dean plays the race card
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Oops… he did it again:
Howard Dean:
"You think the Republican National Committee could get this many people of color in a single room?," Dean asked to laughter. "Only if they had the hotel staff in here."
http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/newyork/politics/sns-ap-deans-moment,0,3868303.story
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/02/15/122832.php

So… what do you think?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's an act of desperation by a man with few cards to play.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. My first reading of this thread title had me picturing Howard Dean playing with race cars.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
A democrat playing the race card is not news.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Methinks the neo-cons doth protest too much. [Wink]
Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

Agreed, Zeug. [Razz]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Let's continue to bash Dean!

He's being underestimated by many in the conservative crowd, I think.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

In the words of Jon Stewart marking this occasion, "You know, there's something stirring about the peaceful transfer of no power."

[ February 15, 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
In what way? So, like, we should just gloss over Dean's comments because neo-cons are majority white? Hell, Clinton's freaking staff was majority white (and I'd be willing to place bets on Dean's election campaign staff). Screw that. He's implying that Republicans are racist, and it is little more than a stupid ad hominem gag. Shows how little-minded Dean's politics are, especially juxtaposed with his "I hate Republicans" spiel.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

ROFLMAO, Adam. [ROFL]
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I'm not bashing Dean. The dems are out of power in the federal government in every way it is possible to be out of power and still have a party. I think Dean's trying to rally the base, and the race card is one of the few he has to play. It does look slightly idiotic considering the current Secretary of State, but he doesn't have many options. It's pathetic, but he has a long road ahead of him.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, the head of the DNC made a joke about one of the major perceived weaknesses of the oppositon party. The real people who should be upset are Jay Leno's writers because Dean got to the joke before they did. I think people may be lacking perspective here.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It does look slightly idiotic considering the current Secretary of State, but you can't blame Dean for that.
This is why tokenism works. I'm not saying that Rice is a token. I'm saying that the exact reason you listed above is why tokenism works on stupid people. The only people to whom Dean's statement would look idiotic would be those who think that if you have a black sec of state, you can't be an entrenched party of white people.

I like Dean because he is going to expect the American people to think. He doesn't dumb down to them, and that's fine. The guy is calling them like he sees them, and I think he has pretty good eyes.

[ February 15, 2005, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Was that directed at me? No one is foaming at the mouth - if a joke, it was a dumb one relying on stereotypes. If a joke meant half seriously in effort to unite the party, it was sad.

---

Irami: [Roll Eyes]

[ February 15, 2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

I just think it's hilarious (or hilariously chilling, depending on my mood) that Dean has received such a relentlessly negative treatment from all sides of the media for the past year. I mean, when he did so well leading up to the primaries, I figured he'd bear the brunt of being a frontrunner, with all the pros and cons it brings.... but wow! Every time I walked past a TV showing Fox News, for three solid months, all I heard was how psychotic and ultra-liberal and racist this guy from Vermont was, and what his latest psychotic/ultra-liberal/racist screw-up had been. It was unbelievable, the sheer amount of coverage he got!

And, like, was anyone even aware that ABC and Diane Sawyer ran a whole apology for that overblown "scream" thing? Of course not, because for one reason or another, Dean is the media's whipping boy, and nothing he does is ever right.

They must be very afraid of him, indeed.

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it was a dumb one relying on stereotypes.
Did you see the Republican National Convention? If you take out the minority votes, the Democrats got creamed. The republicans cleaned up the white vote.

[ February 15, 2005, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! WHO WANTS HORS D'OEUVRES?!?!? YEAH!!
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Let me be clear, kat, so that we don't mince words. I think that you expect that Americans are stupid, and you think that Dean is an idiot for not playing to the stupidity of the American people.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

quote:
And if enough outspoken Republicans have an attitude like that, Dean will succeed beyond your worst nightmares.
Have I ever said I'm a Republican? How do you know I think Dean succeeding would be a nightmare.

I do object to racist politics. Racism against whites is still racism.

Irami, you have publicly stated many times that we'd be surprised at how many people you dislike (I wouldn't), and you can't discuss any topic without mentioning the immorality of being white, male, and untortured by that fact. Don't trust your assumptions about me.

[ February 15, 2005, 04:01 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Heh. My party isn't racist! It has a black friend!
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
I do object to racist politics. Racism against whites is still racism.
I don't object. I think it's about time race got put right out in the open and on the table because there are gaps, and the gaps are there for a reason.

[ February 15, 2005, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I like Dean. He's just crazy enough to take seriously. I doubt that China or N. Korea would put themselves in a position where Dean could go after them. He's still not quite over that whole POW mishap...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Not politics about race, politics where the most relevant fact is someone's skin color, politics that doesn't take in the complexity of the world and reduces worth of policies to having a quarter of a room full of black friends.

Poly, if that was directed at me, it would be more effective if I claimed the Republican party.

[ February 15, 2005, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
HT, you're confusing Dean with McCain.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Heh, I don't much care what label you choose to associate with, but I do find it amusing to think it's "idiotic" to question the colorblindness of the GOP simply because they have a handful of minority "friends". [Smile]
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

[Razz] David, I know. I'm just killing time. And they look so much alike [Big Grin] Plus with people getting so worked up I wanted to see if anyone would take the bait...
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*

edit: aw crud, Zeug got it before me.

[ February 15, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

You can't defend an attack on a party for the shade of it's membership by a lack of colorblindness.

No Adam, I didn't. I have made my feelings concerning his words in the quote quite clear, but I haven't discussed Dean as a person or Dean's politics at all. It is possible to agree with the mission of someone and disagree with how they set about accomplishing it.

[ February 15, 2005, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I think you can. I think he did. And I'm pretty sure it got a laugh from the audience who wanted to hear what he really thought, a full thread on Hatrack, and my continued support and confidence.
ostyinmi
Member # 7218

- posted      Profile for ostyinmi   Email ostyinmi         Edit/Delete Post 
What I find most appalling about this is if a prominent Republican had made such a statement, the press would be talking about his racial slurs and how evil he is for thinking of minorities in this fashion. A democrat saying the same thing is absolutely fine.

[ February 15, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: ostyinmi ]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I just don't think that's true. What are you comparing it to? Trent Lott's statement?

[ February 15, 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

I feel about Dean playing the race card the same way I feel about Bush playing the religion card - irritated. It was a cheap and lazy shot.
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing is that the Dems don't exactly go out of their way to elevate minorities to high positions. Of the ten Democrats who declared their candiacy for President, two Black and neither stood a chance. People can say Rice and Powell were token, but I still didn't see any Black secretaries of state under Clinton or Carter. In fact, the only "minority" that I can remember being in any significant position of power in the Clinton White House was the Jewish Republican Secretary of Defense William Cohen. So the best as I can tell, White Democrats are using minorities to try to stay/get in power and they don't actually do anything for them.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Dean will play the race card in lilly white Vermont. This is like Bush calling that gathering of rich people his base. They were both jokes that were true. You can judge accordingly.

quote:
So the best as I can tell, White Democrats are using minorities to try to stay/get in power and they don't actually do anything for them.
So you are endorsing crony politics?

[ February 15, 2005, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

You know what? I don't think the media would be jumping over that at all.

Bush in 2000 at the posh Alfred Smith dinner:
quote:
"This is an impressive crowd... the Haves...and the Have Mores. Some people call you the elite....I call you my base!"

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Income level isn't an accurate predictor of political party - too many inexplicably Republican poor. Race and religion are much better predictors.

I'd condemn Bush just as much if he stood up and said, "If the Democrats were holding this meeting, they could schedule it on a Sunday morning without missing a soul."

(Addendum: Someone please aknowledge that was clever. I may never get to use it again.)

[ February 15, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
As has been previously discussed the Al Smith Memorial Dinner (named after a prominent Democrat) is where both presidential candidates (Al Gore was there to) make fun of themselves. And as long as film is included in media, that sound bite recieved plenty of coverage.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olorinate
Member # 1561

- posted      Profile for Olorinate   Email Olorinate         Edit/Delete Post 
No one seems to have brought up that it was a casually racist thing to say about the hotel staff.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Have you seen hotel staff, especially in the midwest? It's like pretending that the overwhelming percentage of gardners in southern California aren't recent Mexican immigrants.

It's nice to see a white person who isn't okay with it and is not afraid to say it.

[ February 15, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

quote:
So you are endorsing crony politics?

The basis of why people vote for politicians is very often, "What have you done for me?" Blacks (a lot of them) seem to expect that Democrats will work for them specifically. Affirmative action aside, all I see is pandering every four years and a promise of a welfare check.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
The basis of why people vote for politicians is very often, "What have you done for me?"
Do you think that that's appropriate? Are we talking about "other" people?

It's kind of like Kat's first response about how Dean's mark was idiotic because it won't play to the stupid people. I'm not sure that politicians should play to the greedy or self-centered, especially in national office.

[ February 15, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Look, y'all can nitpick to your heart's content about every little mistake you think Dean is making. I've followed the man's politics for over a year now, and I know that he isn't racist, that he isn't psychotic, that he isn't even ultra-liberal. He's a decent man with a sharp wit and an excellent grasp of reality, two things that should lead to easy victories over the current conservative movement.

And, now, he's finally been elected to a position from which the media can no longer stuff him into a tiny box and ignore him. I'm excited, and I haven't been excited about politics in a long time.

So nyah-nyah, my guy is intelligent, well-read, and isn't afraid to speak his mind. In complete sentences! [Wink]

If y'all want to try to paint him as some sort of monster, you go on right ahead. I've got the truth on my side. [Big Grin]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Irami: How do you plan on changing why people vote?

Z: I like Dean, think the quote was a dumb comment, and pity the hand he's been dealt for the job he has ahead of him. It is possible to do all three. [Razz]

[ February 15, 2005, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

I have a secret plan. [Big Grin]
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

I don't think that's why people should vote, but it doesn't change the fact that that is what Democrats do to win the minority vote, they promise that'll fix everything that the Republicans did wrong and help minorities specifically. I'm not saying that most GOP politicians (and Democratic ones as well) don't do the same thing with pork barrel spending, but from my perspective it seems like Democratic party policy in regards to minorities.
Ela
Member # 1365

quote:
I don't think that's why people should vote, but it doesn't change the fact that that is what Democrats do to win the minority vote, they promise that'll fix everything that the Republicans did wrong and help minorities specifically. I'm not saying that most GOP politicians (and Democratic ones as well) don't do the same thing with pork barrel spending, but from my perspective it seems like Democratic party policy in regards to minorities.
You would be correct if you flipped that around, NFL.

Democrats win the minority vote because minority voters know darn well that the Republicans aren't going to do one darn thing to help them.

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Bush rallying by religion: Bad governance, useful politics

Dean rallying by race: Bad governance, increasingly less useful politics

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Ela, the Democrats don't and don't have to do anything to help them either. They've convinced everyone there's no where else for them to go.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

quote:
it doesn't change the fact that that is what Democrats do to win the minority vote
I'm not sure that's what Democrats do to win the minority vote. Bush thought that when he went in the Urban League talking about, "What have the Democrats done for me lately."

As a minority, I never expect to win by people acting merely out of self-interest. And as the Republican party is the one that seems to endorse self-interest, they scare me. I have the math against me. In a democracy, a sense of duty among the entire populace is the only hope for a minority, and maybe I'm talking in abstract terms but it is the belief in my capacity for Americans to feel a sense of duty that allows me to proudly call myself an American.

[ February 15, 2005, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.