FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » D&D is bad. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: D&D is bad.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
At least the Israeli army thinks so.

quote:
18-year-olds who tell recruiters they play the popular fantasy game are automatically given low security clearance.
“They're detached from reality and suscepitble to influence,” the army says.

Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Odd. Almost every U.S. serviceperson I know plays D&D. And the article seems to be describing homebrewed LARPs instead of D&D, anyway.

[ March 09, 2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost every U.S. person that I know plays or has played D & D...
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
But Tom, with you it's just that the people you know are more likely to play D&D.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw that article - I suppose the IDF has its reasons.

Of course, the US military actually tried to incorporate a DnD-esque fantasy approach to one recruiting campaign - the Marines, I think it was.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never played D&D.
[Razz]
AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

...yet!
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

How many non-gamers would understand, never mind appreciate the difference between a homebrew LARP and DnD?

Well, d20 now.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"How many non-gamers would understand, never mind appreciate the difference between a homebrew LARP and DnD?"

Anyone who's not an idiot, I'd imagine. It's like asking "how many non-alcoholics would understand the difference between spring water in a plastic bottle and a keg of Budweiser?"

[ March 09, 2005, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I have never played D&D, and don't know anyone in the (relatively) large group of soldiers I know that play D&D...

I'll take an informal poll later.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's like asking "how many non-alcoholics would understand the difference between spring water in a plastic bottle and a keg of Budweiser?"

*laugh*

And it doesn't even matter which one is which.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that makes me an idiot, because I've never heard of a homebrew LARP. I also never played D&D or knew anyone who did until I went to college.

I also know many servicepeople and none of them have played D&D, either. Maybe it's a regional thing.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

That you haven't heard of a LARP isn't surprising. Live-action roleplaying is far, far less popular than pen-and-paper roleplaying, and it's been my experience typical boring human beings -- by which I mean non-gamers -- are lucky to have even heard of ONE pen-and-paper RPG, namely Dungeons & Dragons.

Which is the key. [Smile]

Dungeons & Dragons is the most popular pen-and-paper RPG out there. There are hundreds.

There are also dozens of different live-action RPGs out there, none of which are Dungeons & Dragons; I also know people who have adapted the Dungeons & Dragons rules to live-action play, but this is rather pointless and considerably more difficult than just using a system written for live-action gaming.

The rules are different. The style of play is different. The player base is different. Was Kasparov an international Candy Land champion? And the reason this analogy is relevant: imagine if an article announcing that the Israeli Army was slow-tracking chess players included not only pictures of Candy Land but descriptions of how Candy Land is played (saying that "some people play chess on a board of small 8x8 squares, while others move colorful figures between regions with fanciful names like Gumdrop Lane,") and mentioned that some people believe that chess is a game for pre-verbal children and mentally-deficient adults.

Note: that said, I have nothing against LARPs. In fact, I think a lot of people LARP already and don't know it, given that paintball is basically LARPing.

[ March 09, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Tom, you're preaching to the choir.

But I've also met a number of people who start to glaze over and start freaking when I tried to explain the differences.

I do realize that may be a telling commentary on my ability to explain something.

However, to continue your analogy, it might be similar to trying to explain the different types of wine to, say, a non-drinker. Or the variations of types of beer.

-Trevor

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Except that LARPing and PNP are considerably less alike than chardonnay and chablis. [Smile]

I understand that they know nothing about it, but people who know nothing shouldn't write articles. *grin*

TMedina
Member # 6649

*snort* Tell me about it - I still groan at the "machinegun toting police officers" caption.

-Trevor

Edit: Worse, they know nothing and still write about it.

Worse still, they don't bother to research.

Worst yet, the article is being read by people who do understand the finer points.

Edit 2: And you should watch my buddy's face when he tries to explain the finer points of wine to me. [Big Grin]

[ March 09, 2005, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Example of LARP (click "watch movie").
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Duh. (Edit: Duh, I'm an idiot - I neglected to define the terms for our audience.)

LARP
  1. Live
  2. Action
  3. Role-play
People dress up in costumes and wave fake weapons around while following a set of rules. You can think of it as improvised theatre or playing "cowboys and indians" but with rules.

Web definitions of LARP, compliments of Google

-Trevor

[ March 09, 2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
The comments the people made about that movie tell more about them than it does the LARPers.

BTW, LARPing is a LOT of fun. It's one thing to roleplay around a table, it's a lot more interesting when you're actually doing it.

Oh, and there were quite a number of women where I used to LARP so these gentlemen's assertion that the LARPers in the movie would "never get a girl" is unfounded. btw, do they know any words other than "fags"?

[ March 09, 2005, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: The Pixiest ]

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Except when you're badly out of shape like me. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, "round" is a shape!
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

LARP weirds me out. It goes waaay over my geek threshold.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've only done one (not counting paintball a couple of times). It was a Shakespeare LARP, and my friend Sean and I were Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. We were specifically allowed to bring in stuff from the Stoppard play. We had a bag of coins for flipping, for example.

We also had a batch of Eslinore Pilsner, which made everyone who drank it think they were the King of Denmark. We slipped it into two generals' drinks right before a big battle.

But really, we were both there to hit on the girl playing Hamlet.

Dagonee

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
This thread makes me feel like Amy Poehler in the SNL spoof of Regis and Kelly.

"What is that, Regis? I don't know what that is."

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders if bunbun has ever LARPed*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
LARPing sounds like dress-up make-believe "let's pretend" play for grownups.

I should look into this, sounds like my kind of thing! [Big Grin]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, pretty much.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

I was once asked to participate in some Vampire:Masquerade LARPing. Vampire LARP seems exponentially geekier than normal fantasy LARPing. I declined after my head a-sploded.
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh.. I went to a V:TM LARP once. it was Really... Really... bad...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

It is, but do a meet-and-greet with the people participating first.

Personalities, game styles and whatnot may differ drastically from one group to the next.

I wouldn't consider LARPing with the bunch of nuts I knew who did play, but I'm sure there are sane people out there...I just don't know many of them. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
There were some Vampire LARPers at the OSC signing we went to in Cincinatti. They were a little scary. When we were asking people if they'd heard of Hatrack one of them asked if it was a LARP. Sadly all of the LARP people I've known are the vampire types. I think that the SCA though is basically a giant LARP and I feel pretty comfortable with them, though I've never joined.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Vampire LARP seems exponentially geekier than normal fantasy LARPing."

It is actually, in my experience, considerably less geeky. But it's insular and creepy in its own unique way, mainly involving eyeshadow and underwear.

I will say this much, however: if you want to meet Goth chicks, Vampire LARP is not a bad way to spend an evening.

(And, yes, the SCA is probably the world's largest LARP organization.)

[ March 09, 2005, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

AntiCool
Member # 7386

I like the trappings of SCA (the clothes, armor, weapons, etc.), but the LARP-iness of it is what turned me off.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Lightning bolt!
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Subtle differences - the SCA wears combat-ready gear and take great pleasure in smacking each other.

Most LARPs are little or no contact.

The guys I knew used little packets of beans or sand to denote "spells" - to cast a spell, you had to fling a packet and connect with your target.

As Tom has pointed out, paintball could be considered a LARP, although there is very little roleplay or rules or spells.

-Trevor

Edit: And the SCA generally doesn't involve orcs, dragons and the trappings of DnD in that respect.

Anyone want to call a Civil War reenactment troupe and call them LARPers? [Big Grin]

[ March 09, 2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: TMedina ]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
*wonders if bunbun has ever LARPed*
Not since I've known her. Don't know about before that, though.
AntiCool
Member # 7386

Trevor -- all of those things differentiate those groups from Fantasy LARP.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Actually, Civil War re-enactment is a PERFECT example of a LARP. Except of course that the outcome in most re-enactments is fixed, meaning that there's no element of luck or free will -- making it more like improv theater than a game.

[ March 09, 2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20040816

This goes on for many many strips. Just keep thumping that Next button.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

[ROFL]

[ March 09, 2005, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: AntiCool ]

TMedina
Member # 6649

Yes AntiC - but first we have to explain the concept of wine before inflicting "Sideways" on our audience. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

AntiCool
Member # 7386

I have no idea what you just said.

<-- hasn't seen Sideways.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

"Plus 1 PVC and foam sword forged in the fires of Home Depot."

[ROFL]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I've also never played D&D.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixiest -- that is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time. I'm sure glad you shared that link!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"For Frodo!"

Thanks, ThePixiest, this is the funniest new-to-me strip I've run across in years.

[ March 09, 2005, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Clerics are the best.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

PVP is new to somebody? [Smile]

But yeah, Pix, that was beautifully apropos. *grin*

AntiCool
Member # 7386

PvP is new to me.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.