FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » D&D is bad. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: D&D is bad.
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say that all the people I met while in the service played DnD, but a whole ton of them did, that is for sure. At every post I was at a significant number of them currently played (other than Basic Training, of course.. [Big Grin] ), and most of the others had played in the past.

Also most of them loved to play board games, usually war-based ones like Axis and Allies, or Risk.

Kwea

[ March 09, 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Friends don't let friends LARP.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh, LARP... it's so fun... I've played Vampire Larps, D&D Larps, 7seas (a Renaissance-based scenario) Larp and a Legend of 5 Rings (an Oriental scenario) Larp. For me it's tons of fun. To tell you the truth, the first time I met my current giflfriend (who's been my friend for many years before we started dating) was LARPing. [Wink]

How about an Ender Game's LARP? I just think it would be kinda hard to emulate the Battle Room.

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skeptic
Member # 5273

- posted      Profile for skeptic   Email skeptic         Edit/Delete Post 
There _are_ military-based RPG's. I wonder how similar they are to the war games the military uses for practice. I had never heard of a LARP before, but it sounds like what I imagine military war games are. Would the Israeli Army downgrade or upgrade folks who play these?

Full disclosure: I play D&D and Star Wars in NJ, though my group has not met for months now. I'm dying for a game.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on how stringently you apply the definition, there are plenty of people who LARP.

I recall a story about a bunch of geeks who dress up in military gear, right down to authentic gear and play wargames measured down to the last detail - including mission orders, securing (abandoned) buildings and so on.

Instead of paintball guns, they use amazingly realistic replicas that use CO2 cartridges to fire little plastic pellets.

I'm just waiting for one of these idiots to get in a whole mess of trouble because having had the opportunity to examine a similar replica, you can't tell it's a fake weapon from a distance.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Civil War Re-enactors, or Rendevous/MountainMen people count? How about classic car people who dress up to match their cars?

Is there a such a thing as a VARP? (Virtual Active Role Playing)and don't they congregate on another end of this forum.

A friend of mine was in the military about 10 years ago. At that time, in Germany, D&D was very hot. I bought a set of original AD&D manuals at a used book store, because he knew military people who collected them. Unfortunately his term was up before we could close the sale. Now I have a closet full of first addition AD&D. I have to hide it or die of geekiness.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure - the more traditional LARPs are more free-form and the outcome is determined in-game, whereas Civil War re-enactors tend to follow the course of the battle rather than tamper with history, but they still dress up and play make-believe.

As Tom noted much earlier in the thread - I just felt the need to repeat his entirely accurate observations.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.